Hey guys, i got a Washburn XB125 that is sitting collecting dust, i havnt used it since i got my XB925. i stripped it of its strings and straplocks, so it now sits and looks pretty.

so, to give it a fighting chance in the world of getting played, i feel like modding it.

so i come to you for ideas. its a basic intro 5 string bass. its got active electronics (2 band, and a blend) and a 20 fret neck, stock everything.

so what should i do to it? i was thinking a de fret, and possibly an electronics and tuner upgrade. if so, what kind of electronics should i go with? and is there anything else i should do to it?

thoughts?
Recognised by the Official Who To Listen To List 2012

Quote by steven seagull
You don't argue with tubadude on Washburn-related matters, he flosses with the G string from a set of 0.12's y'know....and it's WOUND!
Im no bass expert
but
I reckon if you defret it you will have to change the fingerboard as you will just be left with slots in the board
^ Nope, you add wood filler in the slots. Which gives you handy lines!

TS, I'd recommend upgrading the tuners (an easy, cheap mod)...look into Hipshot, etc.

You could also switch the pups, maybe throw in some Seymour Duncans or EMGs.

If you wanted to be really extreme, you could consider installing a Kahler whammy bar. Only if you have access to a good router and some experience with it, though.

Quote by MetalUpTheAss
Sounds to me like an excuse.

"Honey, I've got to buy a new bass! This diamond is made of a dead guy! I made him a promise!"

Most Bitter/Cynical member of the Bass Militia. PM DinkyDaisy to join.
Last edited by canadianpunk071 at Feb 1, 2007,
ive defret a bass, yes, you will have slots, but you fill them.

its not a problem, and is a common thing to do

tuners will be done, but isnt a priority, i never had problems with them, plus, it has a bone nut already.

im no good with a router, and i dont know anyone who is, so i would like to keep heavy body modifications to none.

if i go with different pups, will i have to change the preamp inside?

Quote by steven seagull
You don't argue with tubadude on Washburn-related matters, he flosses with the G string from a set of 0.12's y'know....and it's WOUND!
Last edited by tubadude at Feb 1, 2007,
Through some Custom seymour Duncans on it, defret, change Tuners new paint job, put some DR colored strings on it. Or if you just want it to sound better change pickups. I would suggest EMG's or Seymour Duncans.
Yeah, i'm thinking maybe some new pups. maybe some Basslines? if your tuners are fine, then dont worry about them. Then maybe you could defret if you've not got a fretless bass?
my question is, if i change the pups, do i have to change the preamp? or can that stay?

i dont have a budget, im gathering ideas for now.

i would also like to keep heavy modifications, which means paint, and harder wood working out of it (routing, and what not)

but the plan is to defret it, thats a given, and a pup change, but not sure about pups, i got barts in my XB925, which kickass, but would cost about 500 just for those. . .

but like i said, my main concern is do i have to change the preamp if i change pups.

Quote by steven seagull
If you put active EMGs on it, most of those come with the full electronics setup, but in the process you'd end up losing your pre-amp altogether. The passive EMG-HZs may work, those are used many Schecter basses in conjunction with an active pre-amp. If you went that direction, I would assume you could simple put them in with your current electronics, but before you do, find someone else who either says the same as me, or proves me wrong, just to be sure. The best I can give you is a place to start, so maybe look into those HZs, and get a little more info on them.
Now introducing: thefitz: thegame. It's what all the cool kids are playing!

For rules and details please see thefitz's signature. Fett13 Inc. is not responsible for any injuries or loss of life resulting from thefitz: thegame
©2008 Fett13 Inc.
Yes, you can keep the same preamp if you replace the pups.
Quote by MetalUpTheAss
Sounds to me like an excuse.

"Honey, I've got to buy a new bass! This diamond is made of a dead guy! I made him a promise!"

Most Bitter/Cynical member of the Bass Militia. PM DinkyDaisy to join.
cool, is there a significant difference in tone between the EMG and EMG HZ pups?

i dont know crap about bass pickups.

Quote by steven seagull
I honestly can't say from experiance, but there is going to be the logical difference of active pickups with a simple tone/volume control vs passive pickups with an active two-band EQ. You'll have more shaping ability on the bass itself with the active EQ intact rather than if you put the standard EMGs which only have the volume/tone. If you're going to be slapping however, so far as I thing its generally considered better to have the active pickups rather than passive, though I could be wrong on that.

I can't say much about the pickups themselves though, especially considering I have little or no experiance with active pickups, only active EQs. I can say with certainty though that you can do a lot with just the EMG-HZs and a two-band active EQ. That's exactly what comes on a Stiletto Elite-4, and I love it. I can get a huge variety of sounds from it. With even the volume-volume-tone of my fretless, I can't do near as much, and I'd imagine being even more limited with just volume-tone would be a bit of a setback.

I can't find any specific info on the XB-125, but I'd imagine it has simple passive pickups and active EQ, so I'd stick with that arrangement seeing as how that's what you're used to on it. No point in getting excessively fancy making large changes like passive->active. I say keep it (relatively) simple, and just throw some nice passives on, defret it, maybe even consider putting a better bridge on (going fretless seems to lose a lot of sustain, so you'll probably need all the help you can get). At worst that'll be a "fill in the screw holes and drill a couple new ones" kind of thing.

Either way, good luck on that, and I'm sure Applehead would be happy to answer what he can about defretting seeing as how he's looking into doing that to one of his own, isn't that right Apple? *waits for applehead to kick my ass for volunteering him*

For rules and details please see thefitz's signature. Fett13 Inc. is not responsible for any injuries or loss of life resulting from thefitz: thegame
©2008 Fett13 Inc.
^thanks, that helped alot.

i have in the past defretted a bass, so i have some idea on what im doing, the XB125 is an older bass, you can read about it on page 4 of 5
http://www.washburn.com/about/docs/pdf/archives/2000.pdf

and what kind of bridge do you recommend?

Quote by steven seagull
that bridge has four screws surrounding it, you arent going to be able to put a Badass on it unless you redrill it. I think a Hipshot would be better though. yeah i cant find anything that will fit those holes, get a Hipshot and redrill holes into your bass
Gear: 08 Fender MIA Jazz bass,
American Peavey Millenium Plus 4,
GK 1001RBII,
Mesa/Boogie RR215,
Schecter C-1 Classic.
If you're redrilling holes anyway, I'd say the BadAssII is the best bridge you could put on there. Its a simple five screw holes in a straight line, plus it doesn't come pre-grooved so you can file the grooves the the exact strings you want to play. If it wasn't for the fact that you probably can't find one easily, I'd also recommend the S-tek bridge that Schecter uses. Personally I think it and the BadAss are the two best bridges made. I've yet to find anything more stable than those two.

©2008 Fett13 Inc.
i would need a badass V bridge, since im doing 5 strings. . .

the bridge i have on my XB925 is a Takeuchi bridge, anyone have info about these? i really like it.

Quote by steven seagull
Last edited by tubadude at Feb 5, 2007,
but you are not the admin so? deal with it.
Gear: 08 Fender MIA Jazz bass,
American Peavey Millenium Plus 4,
GK 1001RBII,
Mesa/Boogie RR215,
Schecter C-1 Classic.
i havnt done any modifications yet, as soon as i do, i will start another there.
and since when do people from the bass forum venture outside of here when basses are in question?

(ive tried it, and it dont work well)

Quote by steven seagull
okay, after measuring my bass, how its built, the baddassV bridge, the badass will not fit. either it will hang off the body, or my scale length will be severely made short (about a 1/2")

any other ideas?

Quote by steven seagull