I've been playing guitar for about 3.5 years now...and I'm ok. I'm not great.. but I can play pretty much any rythym parts I want to. So..my question is..if I were to take singing lessons, how long would it take me to become "good" at it? Does it take as long as other instruments?
First off, start to try to sing in key with chords and stuff.
Green Tinted Sixties Mind
Well that depends entirely. What are you like at singing at the moment?
If you're tone deaf and clueless as to any singing/breathing techniques then it will take its time like anything else.

Surely you must have some sort of idea if you're any good?
But to answer your question, yes... learning to sing properly can take ages. And lessons should be continued to, you can improve your range... keep working on your pitching etc. Singing lessons are vital for all singers, no matter how good you are. Most singers in bands, even famous ones, take lessons.
I can't sing in key. Like.....literally can't. Have you ever seen the movie Happy Feet? I'm like the penguin in that except not gay..and I'm not a penguin.
Quote by Panterica
I can't sing in key. Like.....literally can't. Have you ever seen the movie Happy Feet? I'm like the penguin in that except not gay..and I'm not a penguin.

Can you tap dance?
Quote by Panterica
Oh yeah....forgot about that. No..I can't.

Dammit........GET OUT!!!!!!!...GET THE **** OFF UG!!!!!!!
Man i'm kinda in the same boat as you with the singing and playing.
I can sing in key tho, but I can't breathe good or know how to properly sing, everytime i do it hurts my throat.

I am yet to find a vocal teacher around where I live, do you guys know of any good books or dvds that teach singing?
I couldnt sing in key. The I sat down and played scales until I could hit each note in each scale, going from the lowest note I could hit to the highest.

Do that everyday before you start actually playing and youll get much better.

I do recommend lessons though, even though I havent taken any.
Quote by Tsunoyukami
I couldnt sing in key. The I sat down and played scales until I could hit each note in each scale, going from the lowest note I could hit to the highest.

Do that everyday before you start actually playing and youll get much better.

I do recommend lessons though, even though I havent taken any.

That might help him hold a steady pitch better.

Lessons will be mandatory if you want to become anything more than decent. There are as many techniques in singing as in any instrument, not if more, that tend NOT to be instinctive.
Quote by friedxrice
That might help him hold a steady pitch better.

Lessons will be mandatory if you want to become anything more than decent. There are as many techniques in singing as in any instrument, not if more, that tend NOT to be instinctive.

This is true. I do wish to take lessons, but that costs money and therefore I am self taught.

I can now hold a note for about 25 seconds and I can sing about 3 and a half octaves (inclduing my falsetto). I prefer singing in flasetto.
Quote by Stampede
So you're self taught?

Me? Self taught guitar and vocals. Ive been trying to teach myself piano over the past couple days.

I got a couple bass lessons from my uncle and I can play bass fairly well, though I play it far less than guitar now. I also play percussion for school, so I can play drums and the xylophone and various of percussion instruments.

I dont think Im a very good singer - I would gladly take lessons, but thats money. But I can sing in tune and hold a note for longer than I porbably need to. It's important to practice everyday though, or else you'll start singing out of tune (which had happened to me a couple of weeks ago and now Im back in tune and such).