'set. I've got a dsl 401 and I've been waiting for signs of the tubes going out as I got it used. Today I noticed the signal kinda getting stronger and weaker, the note wouldn't die but like the gain would kind of kill off. So do I need new tubes?
Drop them in a glass of water, if they sink they're good, if they stand on their end or start to float...no wait, that's eggs...

Firstly, how old are they? If it's a couple of years then it may possibly be time to change them, but check little things like are they seated properly in their holders ,are they glowing evenly - if one is glowing brighter than the other that tends to indicate a dying tube.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Yeah, if you're having volume fluctuations it's probably a bad tube; have a look in the back, and if you see anything you wouldn't expect (glow that's not orange, differing levels of light, etc.) one or more of them is probably bad. The best way to really find out if they're bad is to replace them; how old are your current ones?
I'm not sure how old they are since I bought it at a pawn shop but one the footswitch there's a sticker that says it was made in '02 i believe.
If your losing gain then its a preamp tube (thats where gain comes from). The good news is they are really cheap. Like 5 bucks a piece.
Quote by deg0ey
The best pickups for emo are no pickups at all...

Gear:

1996 Les Paul Classic w/ Alnico II's
Marshall Jubilee 2550
Vox V847 Wah
Assorted pedals
Quote by steven seagull
Drop them in a glass of water, if they sink they're good, if they stand on their end or start to float...no wait, that's eggs...

someone may stop reading after that first paragraph and try it! haha
Quote by bonchie1
If your losing gain then its a preamp tube (thats where gain comes from). The good news is they are really cheap. Like 5 bucks a piece.

Yeah, for crappy ones. Tung Sol ftw!
Quote by bonchie1

That was a big help. So how will I know when the power amp tubes are going bad?