....as far as performance and tone is concerned

Example) your ability --> amp --> guitar body wood --> strings --> neck wood

--> fretboard wood

Perhaps I nailed it with this example....I don't know. Any thoughts from the experts?
individual, amp, guitar, effects.

all other things will most likely fall into the above categories.
Originally Posted by evening_crow
Quoting yourself is cool.

WARNING: I kill threads.
Applause, applause, no wait wait
Dear studio audience, I've an announcement to make:
It seems the artists these days are not who you think
So we'll pick back up on that on another page
so would it be appropriate to buy a $230 Cube 30 and a $150 guitar instead of a $100 Cube 15 and a $300 guitar?
Quote by m.o.d.---

huh?
Performance:
Individual, Guitar, Amp.

Tone:
Individual, Amp, Guitar.

The reason I put the guitar in front of the amp in "performance" is because, live, most people will not really care about you're guitar tone as much as someone who buys/listens to your studio cuts..
I mean look at Led Zeppelin... Jimmy Page used completetly different amps live than studio, and hardly anyone cared, so why not be comfy with a great guitar, than go do shows with a shitty guitar and amazing backline...
[Founder of the Ibanez S players club.] Pm Me to Join
Quote by Striketalonx
Performance:
Individual, Guitar, Amp.

Tone:
Individual, Amp, Guitar.

The reason I put the guitar in front of the amp in "performance" is because, live, most people will not really care about you're guitar tone as much as someone who buys/listens to your studio cuts..
I mean look at Led Zeppelin... Jimmy Page used completetly different amps live than studio, and hardly anyone cared, so why not be comfy with a great guitar, than go do shows with a shitty guitar and amazing backline...

Thats an interesting view, however I think you're misinterpreting what I mean by performance. I don't mean an acutal performance in front of an audience. I just mean general performance, like the way a car engine performs
Quote by m.o.d.---

Ummm spamming the same nonsense words in multiple threads = *Reported*

To the threadstarter, Person - Amp - Guitar - Rest of the jive.

Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
Quote by LordBattlecrisp
Thats an interesting view, however I think you're misinterpreting what I mean by performance. I don't mean an acutal performance in front of an audience. I just mean general performance, like the way a car engine performs

Well is an amp gonna slow you down?
Nope.

Will a guitar with a big fat neck thats all glossy and stick slow you down?
Yup.
Tone Wise:

Person --> amp --> guitar body wood --> Pickups --> neck wood --> Bridge --> fretboard wood --> strings
Guitar----->Amp--------->Pedals-------->the rest
Quote by Aqua Dementia
I like to play this game where I'll see how many times I can look at a particular chicks ass or tits until I get caught.

Quote by WNxScythe
Fat chicks are different. They don't count, they aren't women.

Digitech Whammy Club!
Nobody's mentioning the most important factors of all, and that's where all that sound goes after it leaves the speakers. An amp needs to be miced into something. Either a bunch of rack mounted gear and a desk going into a PA amp, or mixing desk hooked up to an equally big rack of cool gadgets in a recording studio.

If you're just jamming at home, no one cares what you sound like. You can write just as good a riff on a squire.

I used to hassle my brother about getting a better amp than his MG combo he got for next to nothing (cos it does sound crap but what do you want for $100?), and he's like "well I can borrow better amps for my demo, and once we start getting gigs we can hire full stacks for $50 a night till I can afford a stack of my own. There's no point me spending money on an amp that sounds better at home but is never going to be loud enough for gigs"

And he's quite right. I had the MG miced up into my old mixer last night and run clean with a selection of pedals it sounds reasonably fat once you get the eq on the mixer right. Good enough to play a recording to other band members so they can hear what you've been up to.
Quote by The devil at the crossroads
E|-------------------------------------------1--
B|-----------------------------------1--4--
G|-------------------------1-3-4--
D|------------------1-3----
A|--------1-2-3----
E|-1-4-----

Just move it around the fretboard
Quote by LordBattlecrisp
so would it be appropriate to buy a $230 Cube 30 and a $150 guitar instead of a $100 Cube 15 and a $300 guitar?

NO, totally wrong. You see, the fact that the amp is more important doesn't mean you have to spend more money. Quality =/= expensive, but with guitars, that equation tends to be true untill you hit the 1000$ mark. The cube is a decent amp, if you're playing at home, 15 watts is more than enough, and I would much rather spend the extra 150 on a nicer guitar.

You see, if you said: So if I have 800 dollars, I spend 500 on the amp and 300 on the guitar? Than I would have said, yes, nice numbers, do that. But the money you are spending here is just too little to get you good quality (the cube is quality,a 150$ guitar never is).

So, your logic is flawed.
Gear:
Gibson les paul Studio faded, modded Buckethead style (killswitch, 1 tone, 1 vol)
Taylor Big Baby 306-GB
Modded Cort KX-5, runaway (neck) and warthog (bridge)
Laney VC-15
Digitech Bad Monkey, EH Big Muff, crybaby JH-1
Last edited by Octavianus at Feb 2, 2007,
I played a poo strat copy than i gots ma self a Dot.
My tone improved a heap. So does a decent amp really make that much of a difference?
Quote by Striketalonx
Well is an amp gonna slow you down?
Nope.

Will a guitar with a big fat neck thats all glossy and stick slow you down?
Yup.

Not everyone needs a skinny little neck to play fast. It's all a matter of comfort. And remember, classical and flamenco guys use guitars with necks that would make most bedroom "shredders" shudder in fear. "Whaddya mean people can play fast on a neck that's not 1/4 inch thick?" Anyway...

Strictly speaking about just gear, removing the human factor, of course the guitar is the most important in the aspect of playability, but as far as tone, your amp is going to make the biggest difference. That's not to say the amp is the most important part of tone, since every part of the chain makes up "tone." It's a scenario where the whole is greater than the sum of its parts. For practicality's sake, when you're talking about inexpensive equipment, you want to spend around as much on your amp as your guitar. This'll make sure your amp isn't nauseating to other people. On the other hand, if you have a very small amount of money to play with (say under $500), you want a guitar that's playable, so you should spend a bit more money on the guitar.
Hi, I'm Peter
Last edited by Dirk Gently at Feb 2, 2007,
Quote by Dirk Gently
Not everyone needs a skinny little neck to play fast. It's all a matter of comfort. And remember, classical and flamenco guys use guitars with necks that would make most bedroom "shredders" shudder in fear. "Whaddya mean people can play fast on a neck that's not 1/4 inch thick?" Anyway...

Strictly speaking about just gear, removing the human factor, of course the guitar is the most important in the aspect of playability, but as far as tone, your amp is going to make the biggest difference. That's not to say the amp is the most important part of tone, since every part of the chain makes up "tone." It's a scenario where the whole is greater than the sum of its parts. For practicality's sake, when you're talking about inexpensive equipment, you want to spend around as much on your amp as your guitar. This'll make sure your amp isn't nauseating to other people. On the other hand, if you have a very small amount of money to play with (say under $500), you want a guitar that's playable, so you should spend a bit more money on the guitar.

yah...
I actually like a nice round neck, like on a soloist, more than on an RG prestige...

but the whole premise is still the same, a clunky, uncomfortable neck (whatever that is for you) vs a nice smooth one (for you)
Amp>Guitar>Effects.

I play my Ibanez S470 (Great guitar) into a Marshall MG100DFX (crap amp) and it sounds enough to practice, mainly cos i chug my effects into it to make it sound better, anyway, I played an Ibanez GSA60, which is a beginner guitar, into a good tube amp (i forgot what amp it actually was) and it sounded amazing, so amp is more important tonewise, there was also some rackmounts going into it too.
Quote by Zofar
Tone Wise:

Person --> amp --> guitar body wood --> Pickups --> neck wood --> Bridge --> fretboard wood --> strings

I can't believe i left out pickups...Duh
Quote by Striketalonx
Performance:
Individual, Guitar, Amp.

Tone:
Individual, Amp, Guitar.

I agree, but for different reasons.

You'll give the best performance and best display of your ability on the guitar you like and feel most comfortable with. This could be a terrible sounding Behringer starter guitar, for example.

However, whilst you might not play as well on it (hypothetically speaking), a nice 1963 Strat of something, would obviously give a better tone.
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay
this question is really sort of pointless, the main factors are playing ability, your amp, and your effects. its hard to gauge fretboard wood, body wood, pickups and whatnot because how they sound depends on all of the other factors.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
guitar: to play
strings: to make sound
cable: to make sound go to amp
amp: to make sound loud
Pedals: to make sound weird
My Blog
New bands you wish you knew about!

Check This Band:As Blood Runs Black
Guitarist of the month: Quorthon

Got a good band that you want to share with the world? PM me and I'll write them a review.
I think it's easier to make a mediocre guitar sound fairly good with a good amp than it would be to make an above average guitar sound good thru a not-so-good amp.

A skillful player can find his way around just about any instrument regardless of neck size, etc... and is probably experienced enough to max out the performance of any rig. However, they are limited by the capablities of the amp/guitar.

I think as far as tone is concerned, the amp comes before the guitar, then the effects, as you can shape the tone of the guitar with them.
^^^Good point, cos someone might be playing a uber crappy lil' Encore guitar through a Marshall stack at the store they're buying it, and then when they bring it home and plug in to the pathetic 5watt and they'd go "what the hell is going on?" which would also show them up as such nOObs that they'd think an Encore guitar would be good to start off with.
I hjave heard guitar is first, get a really good one and then you can always upgrade your amps as needed (you play bigger concerts, etc).
Quote by m.o.d.---

emo.........................................
Too cool for a signature.