Ok. Im willing to buy a used marshall 800 single channel from my local music shop.

And I was reading up on it on here, and found out that if you want the Over drive/ distorted sound you need to go up to the amp and put the knob up. Since I have a few serious gigs coming up in 2-3 months. That will basically not do. So my understanding of tubes are pratically nothing.

So if I were to get a overdriven sound would it be best to buy a volume pedal, or an OD pedal? or both? And could anyone recommend one or both?

I play mostly GNR/Zeppelin/SRV/ZZ Top kinda tone/sound. And if there is anything else I need to know please tell.
Guitars:
Epiphone Elitist Les Paul Custom WCR and Dimarzio equipped
Amp:
Marshall 2266 Vintage Modern
Marshall 1960TV
Effects:
Dunlop Crybaby From Hell
Anyone?
Guitars:
Amp:
Marshall 1960TV
Effects:
Dunlop Crybaby From Hell
What I would personally do is this...

For a song that uses only clean sounds, I'd dial in a clean sound on the amp (obviously)
For a song that uses only distortion, I'd dial in an appropriate distorted tone from the amp.
For a song that uses both cleans and distortion, I would dial in the distorted tone, then roll back on my guitar volume for the clean parts. As a bonus, this automatically gives you a boost for distortion and/or solos.

Some people don't like doing this, in which case a distortion/overdrive pedal is what you want. Dial in a great clean sound, then use the pedal for distortion.

Also, there are tube amps that have multiple channels, allowing you to footswitch from clean to distortion to lead.
I know. But I was looking at teh single channel JCM 800 right. So I just needed to know what I need to do.

Would a volume pedal do the same trick? Or would an OD pedal increase volume and go distoted sound.
Guitars:
Amp:
Marshall 1960TV
Effects:
Dunlop Crybaby From Hell
From what i know an od pedal would work best. A volume pedal might give you a similar outcome dending on how you have everything set up, but if you really want to tweak your tone you should probably go with an od pedal. Check out the Ibanez Tube Screamer.
Follow me on instagram @createdaily
A volume pedal in front of the amp will do the trick nicely

But you can always do the same thing with your volume knob
Im playing lot of gigs and such. Dont feel like fiddiling around with the volume knob between songs and during songs.
Do OD pedals have volume control? Im just wondering.
Guitars:
Amp:
Marshall 1960TV
Effects:
Dunlop Crybaby From Hell
most od pedals will have a level (volume), overdrive, and tone controlls. you can set the level to match your clean and the overdrive to adjust the distortion. Or i belive you can turn the overdrive low, and turn the volume up high to overdrive your amps tubes, im not postive on that but i think its called boosting or somthing.
Yeah. Cuz in a clean to OD song. Usually the OD is slightly louder. than the clean. Live I mean.
Guitars:
Amp:
Marshall 1960TV
Effects:
Dunlop Crybaby From Hell
Adjusting the volume knob (and the tone for that matter) on the fly is remarkably easy once you get the hang of it

unless you have a guitar with a stupid control setup (coughlespaulcough)
:P

nah I would just think using a volume or OD pedal would be way more easy for any guitar you have :S
Guitars:
Amp:
Marshall 1960TV
Effects:
Dunlop Crybaby From Hell