hey everyone. Ive just learnt the minor penatonic scale. I can run through the scale up and down the fretboard, but am finding it hard to improvise within the scale. Any tips? and any suggestions of good songs to jam to with the scale?
cheers
Uhh. 12 bar blues, Zeppelin, GNR anything classic rock pretty much. Metallica?

Also learn some licks, then make your own. Learn some of the licks used in the Free Bird solo, Sweet Child O' Mine, etc. Then learn some easy blues solos, or advanced ones. and learn how to use the scale. Im no teacher so thats the best advice I can give you.
Guitars:
Epiphone Elitist Les Paul Custom WCR and Dimarzio equipped
Amp:
Marshall 2266 Vintage Modern
Marshall 1960TV
Effects:
Dunlop Crybaby From Hell
yeah i need help with the same exact thing!
Gear-
Cherry Epiphone SG Special
Vox AD30
Boss DS-1
yeah ^slash^ is right, just play with it alot and get a feel for it. and see what notes are good to bend on and pull off and hammers on and all the basic stuff and just do combinations.
Gear
Epiphone Custom LP in White
Peavey Bandit 112
Dunlop Cry Baby pedal
just listen to bands you like and try to figure out what they do. try arpeggiating the scales and bridging them along throughout the fretboard. also try and stick with your top three strings.
Remeber to use root notes often. Makes it sound more full and blend with the song more. And try and learn all the paterns and octaves. Like how you can play Pentatonic in G at the 3rd fret, and 15th fret. Im not going to confuse you. Learning scales and the full patterns will become really easy once you figure it all out. Once you master the minor scale learn teh major scale for more of a happier sound. The minor works wonders for pure blues.

For example Sweet child O Mine intro is based on Major Pentatonic E.

Its pretty much the same thing as Minor pent, but with an added note on all the strings. Also learn the blues pentatonic as well. It'll all come. And play teh scale every day at least once so you dont forget!
Guitars:
Amp:
Marshall 1960TV
Effects:
Dunlop Crybaby From Hell
Forget the scales, get pissed off, then just play. Oh and get a bigsby and just reaf on it alot.
My Rig:
1970's Twin Reverb
1972 Gibson SG
1970's Raven SG copy (extreme modifications)
EH Double Muff
Dunlop Hendrix wah
and of course... a disco ball
i thought Sweet child O Mine was Minor Pentatonic E...
Major starts at 9th fret or sumtin right?
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Major scales can start wherever you want. It's all relative in music...
Yes, aim for those tonic root notes when you figure out what key the song is in. I like doing that while listening to blues songs to train my ear for that. When phrasing I tend to pause a little on the scale's tonic notes with some vibrato to emphasize them for the key I'm in. Also, I don't bend on the tonic notes for that reason. Sometimes bend the previous note in the scale that is 2 frets before up to that tonic pitch too which sounds good. I also find spots to slide into the next box position, usually a 2 fret slide so far in my case. It depends on what works for you. Trust your ears! Anyway I'm no expert and slowly learning how to use scales as I go too so hopefully I'm on the right path!
Fender Malmsteen Strat > Boss NS2 Noise Suppressor > NS2 Send > NeoClassic 3080 Compressor > NeoClassic 741 Overdrive > NS2 Return > NS2 Output > VHT Special 6 Ultra Amp > Amp Send > MXR Carbon Copy Analog Delay > Boss RC3 Loop Station > Amp Return
What I am doing now with scales is sliding to the next shape location on the neck and continuing.

I am also taking several of the scales, playing the first two strings of one and then sliding to the next one in another position tying the two together. Some sound better than others when combined but at least I am moving forward.

Hth,

Chris
Quote by ^Slash^
Remeber to use root notes often. Makes it sound more full and blend with the song more. And try and learn all the paterns and octaves. Like how you can play Pentatonic in G at the 3rd fret, and 15th fret. Im not going to confuse you. Learning scales and the full patterns will become really easy once you figure it all out. Once you master the minor scale learn teh major scale for more of a happier sound. The minor works wonders for pure blues.

For example Sweet child O Mine intro is based on Major Pentatonic E.

Its pretty much the same thing as Minor pent, but with an added note on all the strings. Also learn the blues pentatonic as well. It'll all come. And play teh scale every day at least once so you dont forget!

Just to let you know the intro to Sweet Child O Mine is a D major arppegio
Quote by Sir-Shoelace
manliest string guage? barbed wire.

Quote by beau05
I'd say country or bluegrass would be pretty difficult, for being inbred is a pre-requisite
bends are always good, like just bending up to the next note you're going to play, like this....I'll do all these examples in A but just move them around.

----------5---------------------
--5-------8---(10)------8-------
--7---(9)---b-----------7--(9)--
----b---------------------b-----
--------------------------------
---------------------------------

-------------------8---
--------5---8-(10)-----
--7-(9)-------b---------
---b-------------------
-----------------------
-----------------------

you'll have heard this lick or a variation of it in countless solos
------------5--------------5--
---------5---------------5----
--7-(9)----------7-(9)--------
---b--------------b-----------
------------------------------
------------------------------
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by Rude Mood
Just to let you know the intro to Sweet Child O Mine is a D major arppegio

Haha. Whoops. Thanks for the correction.
Guitars:
Amp:
Marshall 1960TV
Effects:
Dunlop Crybaby From Hell
Quote by RCShadow
What I am doing now with scales is sliding to the next shape location on the neck and continuing.

I am also taking several of the scales, playing the first two strings of one and then sliding to the next one in another position tying the two together. Some sound better than others when combined but at least I am moving forward.

Hth,

Chris

Thats the right way to go about it. You want to find new ways to transition through those different patterns and not get "stuck in the box" like many beginners and even some intermediate players tend to do. The more creative you get with moving around those other patterns on the neck, they easier it will become to see the notes and not the box shape, which the allows for more creativity in your playing.
Quote by Shredlet
Cheers Sinister that was really helpful a Dime-point to you!

"Any problem you can't solve with a good guitar, is either, unsolvable or isn't a problem."