Page 1 of 2
I got home today and jubilation! my parts from warmoth had arrived. A mahogany firebird body and a wenge and rosewood explorer neck. However, I realised that I have absolutely no idea how I'm going to finish, paint, whatever it. Therefore I ask for the input of minds more creative than my own to help me make this thing look awesome.
Thank you,
Natty D
How may The National D help you waste your time?
PICTURES.

XD.

Damn, I'm cool.

Maybe stain it? That always looks hawt. Or a nice sunburst? Up to you.
Quote by TiMaRmStRoNg101
there was once this girl
in my school
and she was like
'greenday is so punk'

and i was all
omgelitist
'fawkofffffffffff'
and punched her in the face.
cause i can do that
cause I know more about punk rock and stuff
Allrighty, here are some pictures.
The first is the body, the second is the neck, and the third is a gratuitious up-close shot of the neck to show off the delicious grain. I intend to laquer the neck. I love that wood.

EDIT: I had to crop the photos slightly to upload them.
Attachments:
body.JPG
neck.JPG
close-up neck.JPG
Last edited by The National D at Feb 2, 2007,
Dude that body is amazing! Clear coat!
Quote by Unforgivable
LesPaulMarshalls ace!
Quote by Dudage
LesPaulMarshall, you friggin rock!
Quote by adrian_brown89
It's pretty hard to find someone as hardcore as Tom. The race for hardcore supremacy would be pretty close but i think Tom's got his nose just in front for now...
+1 for the clear coat.
Quote by corduroyEW
Cheap amps are "that bad". They suck up your tone like cocaine at Kate Moss' party.

I am Michael!
ah, so thats wenge! i love the feel and look of it, my cort has a wenge neck and its just ORGASMIC. don't laquer it, unless you really feel it slows you down
Cort lover of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join.
On cheating in a relationship...

Quote by metaldud536
If he doesn't use a gameshark, it's not cheating.

I'm a non-regular regular old user.
How about clearing over it natural. And then putting a black design on top of the wood. Like that eagle that basically nosedives into teh ground to catch fish, I forgot what it was called. It might be the bald eagle but it may be a diferent one. But some kind of bird thats in attacking formation.

Since the body is a firebird :P

Dont' do more then one color though. I think black woudl be the only and best candidate if you do this.
translucent cherry sunburst!!!!!oen.

or a red burst (see-thru)
My Blog
New bands you wish you knew about!

Check This Band:As Blood Runs Black
Guitarist of the month: Quorthon

Got a good band that you want to share with the world? PM me and I'll write them a review.
I'm thinking a transparent red with gold hardware, and a white or black pickguard.

You should have gotten on of those gold Warmoth logos too.
Will says:
DON'T FEAR THE REAPER!
- SmarterChild - says:
I don't know if I can help it.

Member #6 of the "I play my guitar as high as Tom Morello does" club
Quote by kaplac
How about clearing over it natural. And then putting a black design on top of the wood. Like that eagle that basically nosedives into teh ground to catch fish, I forgot what it was called. It might be the bald eagle but it may be a diferent one. But some kind of bird thats in attacking formation.

Since the body is a firebird :P

Dont' do more then one color though. I think black woudl be the only and best candidate if you do this.

kingfisher??

that neck looks amazing.

i think block colour.....whatever floats your boat

in the thread on how to make a girl uncomfortable:

Quote by Angels Fighter
i saw this in another thread but it would work

Blow your load in your hand and slap the girl in the face while yelling "spiderman"

^
Will says:
DON'T FEAR THE REAPER!
- SmarterChild - says:

fair enuf. kingfishers were the first thing that sprang to mind when kaplac mentioned diving for fish, i know both do but kingfisher got there first. eagles or kingfishers would both be cool, imo.

in the thread on how to make a girl uncomfortable:

Quote by Angels Fighter
i saw this in another thread but it would work

Blow your load in your hand and slap the girl in the face while yelling "spiderman"

^
They were protest posts. Your idea is shit.

Seriously, I googled "Bald Eagle diving", and was like "shit, that would look awesome!"

To the threadstarter, why did you get the explorer headstock? It totally clashes, a reverse KWS would have looked good.
Will says:
DON'T FEAR THE REAPER!
- SmarterChild - says:

Have it natural, and have this bad boy:

(it took me so long to get that right so you better do it boy :p
Quote by Unforgivable
LesPaulMarshalls ace!
Quote by Dudage
Quote by adrian_brown89
It's pretty hard to find someone as hardcore as Tom. The race for hardcore supremacy would be pretty close but i think Tom's got his nose just in front for now...
Straight of course...

Sorry about DP
Quote by Unforgivable
LesPaulMarshalls ace!
Quote by Dudage
Quote by adrian_brown89
Quote by lespaulmarshall
Have it natural, and have this bad boy:

(it took me so long to get that right so you better do it boy :p

That looks like a Texaco sign. Do you love Texaco or something?
Quote by Kensai
Racism... against the human race? Sure, go ahead
That white patch beneath the body is the white pickguard.

Quote by IndieMetalhead
ah, so thats wenge! i love the feel and look of it, my cort has a wenge neck and its just ORGASMIC. don't laquer it, unless you really feel it slows you down

I know, the wood is perfect. I'm not actually sure about laquering it, I was intending to play it raw until I found out that doing so gives me no warantee. So, I'm going to put something on it, something clear to show off the wood. Not sure what.

Quote by Will_Minus
To the threadstarter, why did you get the explorer headstock? It totally clashes, a reverse KWS would have looked good.

Surprisingly, it doesn't. I thought that it would originally and was going to get a flying v headstock, but the explorer works really well. Have a look.

I've also thought about doing a red sunburst or stain, but almost every firebird you see is done like that and I want to do something different.
Attachments:
body and neck.JPG
You should just give it a few good coats of tune/pure oil and set it that way. That, or a few coats of nitro. That thing would have the best resonance.
"Everybody, one day will die and be forgotten. Act and behave in a way that will make life interesting and fun. Find a passion, form relationships, don't be afraid to get out there and fuck what everyone else thinks."
Quote by The National D
The body or the neck?

Both?
"Everybody, one day will die and be forgotten. Act and behave in a way that will make life interesting and fun. Find a passion, form relationships, don't be afraid to get out there and fuck what everyone else thinks."
I want to keep the warantee, because these two bits took 8 months to save up for. The legal mumbo jumbo says that the neck must have a hard finish and oil type finishes are not adequate.

As far as the body is concerned, is it possible to stain it so it's as dark as the neck, but still shows the grain? Or would that look crappy?

EDIT: Maybe do it as a black beauty, but stain it show the grain... I wonder...
Last edited by The National D at Feb 3, 2007,
Quote by The National D
I want to keep the warantee, because these two bits took 8 months to save up for. The legal mumbo jumbo says that the neck must have a hard finish and oil type finishes are not adequate.

As far as the body is concerned, is it possible to stain it so it's as dark as the neck, but still shows the grain? Or would that look crappy?

That's definitely possible. Wait till Algee or somebody more knowledgable than me comes into the thread who can advise you on the right type of stain.
Quote by dave293
I'd clear it and put on a black pickguard.

With gold hardware? I love my gold hardware, but I'm not too sure if it would go with a black pickguard.
I've got a white pickguard for it, but I suppose I could colour that as well. (It's made out of vinyl)
Quote by the_random_hero
With gold hardware? I love my gold hardware, but I'm not too sure if it would go with a black pickguard.

Didn't see that part, white would look better with gold hardware.
Rickenbacker Fireglo finish with a satin neck
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
So, does anyone know if it would be a good idea (or even possible) to stain it black? Or would I have to go with a very dark brown/blue/whatever to approximate?
Just spray a coat or two of satin clear. That's a hard finish.
Will says:
DON'T FEAR THE REAPER!
- SmarterChild - says:

I'd grainfill the body with black grainfiller, then just shoot clearcoat over it. The mahogany on that body is NICE.

Chris
'Aim at perfection in everything, though in most things it is unattainable. However, they who aim at it, and persevere, will come much nearer to it than those whose despondency and laziness make them give it up as unattainable.'
Would the grain be open enough to attempt a Juju finish? It might work, but the black would be more spread out than using a more open grain wood, like swamp ash for example.
Quote by AlGeeEater
I'd grainfill the body with black grainfiller, then just shoot clearcoat over it. The mahogany on that body is NICE.

Chris

Do you mean like on a voodoo les paul? That's the closest I can find to what random hero was talking about. If it is, that is a great idea. How easy would it be to achieve the finish they have on the voodoo les pauls?
"Gibson Les Paul Voodoo Electric Guitar Closeout The latest thing in Les Paul's - the Voodoo! The Voodoo features a swamp ash body which is a little lighter in weight than the traditional mahogany. To achieve the Juju finish the Voodoo is painted ebony and then rubbed with red filler; a satin lacquer coat completes the unique stained finish, showcasing the grain and allowing the wood to breathe. A red pearl Voodoo Skull at the 5th fret in the ebony fingerboard, red/black pickup bobbins, and red trimmed truss rod cover completes the Voodoo look"

There's a better page on how somebody else achieved the finish, I lost all my favourites when I moved. I'll keep looking and see if I can find it for you.
Thanks man. If I can get this to work, it would be awesome.
This was the page I was thinking of, although somebody says it didn't work with mahogany. There's no real way of opening up the grain is there?
Erm, mahogany is very open grained last time I checked.

The VooDoo finish won't work on mahogany though, it's not open grained to the extent of ash. You can just grainfill the body black, and spray clear coat over it.

Chris
'Aim at perfection in everything, though in most things it is unattainable. However, they who aim at it, and persevere, will come much nearer to it than those whose despondency and laziness make them give it up as unattainable.'
Page 1 of 2