i dont get why you need the battery. is it only for changing the tone, do you need it to actually play with high vo.l?
!
it's for powering the active preamp so that can change the tone
Gear:
Washburn RB2500 (5 String)
Yamaha BB400 Fretless (1981)
Carlo Giordano 3/4 Upright (White)
Cort Action 4 (Stereo-fied)
Orange Bass Terror 500
Orange 1x15 Cab
Boss GT-6 Bass Multi-effects
Active pickups have much weaker magnets than passive pickups (this helps give better tone and sustain), thus the generated signal is weaker. An onboard preamp is needed to boost the signal a bit and allow it to travel across cables without being weakened or drowned in noise.

Also, an active EQ allows you to both cut and boost certain frequencies, unlike the tone controls on a guitar with passive electronics, which only cut treble.

Both of those things require power, hence the battery.
depends. on some basses, removing the battery just puts it into 'passive' (where one of the controls is tone and the volume one works, and the others don't), although i've heard some actually don't work without one. my Cort has a push/pull pot for active and passive selection, because the extra output is just buffered by the preamp i think. my 5 string however gets a horrible horrible low B because it clips like mad without the battery.
Cort lover of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join.
On cheating in a relationship...

Quote by metaldud536
If he doesn't use a gameshark, it's not cheating.

I'm a non-regular regular old user.
^ yeah it all depends on the bass. if you dont have a switch, your bass will just die a death without a battery. That said, they last an awful long.

I really dont see why manufacturers cannot make a fail safe, so if your battery dies your bass just goes into passive mode. I'm not familiar with electronics enough to know how hard/easy this is, but it would be a good feature to have.
Its just as easy to install a switch as far as i know. you just have to basically wire it up twice. I'll try and get a schem of my bass.

edit: just looked, and its just extra wires from the volume when its pulled where instead of going to the preamp it goes straight to the jack. so the pickups go to the balance pot, then to the volume. if you go to http://www.cort.co.kr/english/support/schePast02.asp and click on C4(2006) you'll see what i mean hopefully.

Quote by metaldud536

Last edited by IndieMetalhead at Feb 2, 2007,
^ Sweet, i might try that mod on my Schecter. Bit scared to fck with the leccy though
leccy?

Quote by metaldud536

OH. now i get you

you won't kill yourself. if you're that concerned, run it through a pocket amp or something to try it first

Quote by metaldud536

Ah right. I thought you'd be using the Spector as an arse around now that you have a Stingray and a Marcus Miller, but then again i'm hardly right

Quote by metaldud536

I've sold them mate ! I've ordered a Fender Stu Hamm Urge II, should be with me in a few weeks. So i am back to my Schecter for a few weeks while i wait. I forgot what great tone it has, but the build quality really shows up compared to the Stingray and the MM. I'm gonna defret it once the Urge II comes, although i also have a Washburn B-10 i could defret, which is older. Not sure what one to defret....