Heya

I've seen some tabs where it says to 'fret note (whatever) with your thumb. I tried it , but to do it i have to get my hand in a pretty awkward position, otherwise i cant really do much more than just mute the string. Is there an easy way to use your thumb while a good hand position? Advice please....
Oh **** I gotta do vibrato
Just bring your thumb over the top. It should already be in a good position. Hmm.

It should feel like you're just grabbing the neck, to pick the guitar up and take it somewhere like that, but it's a useful technique.

You could try getting yourself on YouTube and watching Hendrix and Mayfield do it. They were pretty good at it.
Grip the neck like a 'baseball bat.' I'll admit that I do this sometimes when playing open chords.

Try playing Can't Stop by the RHCP, that has some parts where you have to play the 6th string with your thumb, but it's easy to learn.

Also look at Prince, he uses his thumb to barre the 5 & 6 strings whilst the index does the rest.
UG's only Manic Street Preachers Fan [So It Seems]
임정현 / FunTwo - Canon Rock
2006 sucked anyways!
Damn stoopid signature
Last edited by 198x at Feb 2, 2007,
Quote by Salmon86
Heya

I've seen some tabs where it says to 'fret note (whatever) with your thumb. I tried it , but to do it i have to get my hand in a pretty awkward position, otherwise i cant really do much more than just mute the string. Is there an easy way to use your thumb while a good hand position? Advice please....

You may have to bend your elbow and rotate your wrist a bit. It'll be harder on a guitar with a thicker neck (depending on the size of your hands). I have fairly long fingers so I don't find it too hard, but I do need to change my fret hand position a little when I play my Gibson.
Quote by 198x
Try playing Can't Stop by the RHCP, that has some parts where you have to play the 6th string with your thumb, but it's easy to learn.

Or Purple Haze.
john mayer uses his thumb to fret the base note in many, many, of his songs
Quote by GuitarHero0715
yea, i know what you mean, i think it means you have balls, not sure, thats what i heard from my dad, although he wasnt sober

Quote by Sinforsale
Welcome to UG, The "safest" place on the Net.

a Tip is this: Dont Go Into the Pit Under ANY Circumstance.
you don't fret the note with the tip of the thumb, i hope this image brings you an idea of what part of the fthumb should be in the string

consider the red stripe as the string
Attachments:
pulgar.jpg
Quote by ktjackfan
john mayer uses his thumb to fret the base note in many, many, of his songs

Bass. For the love of God, it's spelt bass.