Ok, I'm about 3 months into my journey of learning to play guitar and I need a much better practice amp. I've already gave my starter guitar some better pickups, a graphtech nut, and I'm replacing the saddles. So my guitar is set for now, but what I do need is a much much better amp. I got a crappy 10w 2-band eq practice amp.

What I wanna know is, in your opinion, is the Cube 20X worth $60 more than the Spider III 15W?
Last edited by eXperiment63 at Feb 3, 2007,
I would imagine so, i've not heard anything good about the spiders
Cort lover of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join.
On cheating in a relationship...

Quote by metaldud536
If he doesn't use a gameshark, it's not cheating.

I'm a non-regular regular old user.
dude, no offense, but if youve been playing for three months dont bother getting a new amp or doing all that modification on your guitar. practice if you want to sound better. eddie van halen is still eddie van halen even if he plays some crap hamer slammer strat through a 5 watt marshall mini stack. dont buy a new amp, get better at guitar then once youve been playing for a while, save the money you would have spent on that roland cube and get a mesa boogie or decent marshall, hell even a bigger spider III 150, because if you buy those amps, neither will last you in a band, and theyll only be good for practice, i dont even practice with an amp so that when i use one i sound that much better. get a big amp when youve been playing for longer, cuz those can last you years on years on years, while a tiny spider II 15 or whatever will only last you maybe a year at the very most.
No offense to you, but I didn't ask your opinion on whether or not I should get one, because I am getting one. I asked an opinion on which one I should get.

Money won't be an issue for me in a year, I still wanna sound decent while practicing.

You must think that just because I've only been playing 3 months I HAVE to suck, well you're wrong there buddy. I've already got a damn good handle on my open chords, barre chords, 3 pentatonic scales, and now I'm messing with harmonics while learning more scales.

Just because I'm a noob doesn't mean that I shouldn't be able to have a decent sound while practicing. If I have to keep listening to this shit amp I have I'll probably end up droppin the guitar, it's that bad.
save up a bit, get at 30 or 60 watt roland, spiders are heaps of junk unless you want that insane setting for the whole time, in which case the rolands mesa boogie rectifier model is still better sounding and just as distorted
Quote by yawn
Wikipedia articles are my inspiration.

www.myspace.com/symmetry4321

Custom Strat
Roland Cube 30 (soon upgrading to Peavy Valveking 112)
Danelectro FAB Metal
Marshall VT-1

RIP Chris Benoit
Quote by TMAW
save up a bit, get at 30 or 60 watt roland, spiders are heaps of junk unless you want that insane setting for the whole time, in which case the rolands mesa boogie rectifier model is still better sounding and just as distorted

Thanks for your input. My dad said he's willing to throw some money in, if he'll throw $80 or so I'll grab the 30X. If not, I'll probably go with the 20X for now because the rest of the money I save is going on moving expenses.
Out of the Line 6 or Cube - the cube is best. It has an overall better sound. Better cleans, better distortion. Plus the Line 6 is digital modelling or something - I'm not a fan of digital amps. However, I'd reccommend what my first amp was - A Kustom KGA10FX. It's a damm good 15watt practice amp. Has some nice distortion, good cleans, and decent reverb. But I haven't played a Roland Cube 20X so I have no idea what it's like compared to it.
Quote by eXperiment63
Money won't be an issue for me in a year, I still wanna sound decent while practicing.

You must think that just because I've only been playing 3 months I HAVE to suck, well you're wrong there buddy. I've already got a damn good handle on my open chords, barre chords, 3 pentatonic scales, and now I'm messing with harmonics while learning more scales.

Awwww, that's impressive. zOmg D00d U lyke r00l sO much itz insAyne!!!

If I have to keep listening to this shit amp I have I'll probably end up droppin the guitar, it's that bad.

Ohhhhhh, poor kid. Do you cry at night in your bed?

Jeez buddy, stop whining, youre so f*cking full or yourself it makes me sick.

Anywhoo, get a Cube 30X for 200 bucks. It rules.
Just because I'm a noob doesn't mean that I shouldn't be able to have a decent sound while practicing. If I have to keep listening to this shit amp I have I'll probably end up droppin the guitar, it's that bad.

In fairness to Trivium 1123 most players take a while to develop their ear...a quick search of the vids on youtube will find you shedloads of players far more experienced than yourself who couldn't dial in a tone if their lives depended on it. However some people pick up on tones and sound characteristics quicker than others. If you're into metal and high gain sounds then the Cube is by far the best bet, however if you're more into blues and classic rock stuff then you should look at the Epi Valve Junior, augmented with an EQ pedal and an overdrive. You won't get as much gain as a cube, but you will get a purer, more organic tone which is what most players are ultimately looking for, it just usually takes them longer to realise.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
alreadygone: gotta love the douchebags like you in this world. Never said I rule, in fact compared to most, I still suck. Doesn't mean I have to listen to a shitty amp. As far as the kid comment goes... I'm 21, so yea, doesn't really fit.

steven seagull: I have a penchant for noticing tonal characteristics very well, I am also a singer. Thank you for the other suggestion though, I'm all ears to those more experienced than me and I will def look into it. Thank you again.
Gotta love the jackoffs that think theyre the greatest in the world. It's just ridiculous how the tone of your amp bothers you so much it could make you stop playing.

You know, you coulda just posted a normal request for a purchase advice without telling everyone youre so good and you cant take the terrible tone anymore- but no, that just wouldnt satisfy you. Does anyone care that you are a singer? Is that relevant to the matter at hand?

Anyhow, if your looking for a decent upgrade, go to the store and try out a Vox AD15VT or AD30VT, maybe a Roland Cube 30X (it has more amp modelings on it than the 20X), or possibly an Epiphone Valve Junior? Dont buy a Spider or any Marshall MG.
Quote by eXperiment63
No offense to you, but I didn't ask your opinion on whether or not I should get one, because I am getting one. I asked an opinion on which one I should get.

You sir, I have respect for, what a way to stick up for yourself.

Well, if youre looking between the Spider 3 and Cube, I would most definately go with the Cube. The Cube just generally has better tones and is a much more reliable amp. The Spider is cold and lifeless, and while Im very aware that now, seeing as you are a newer player, you won't have quite the develloped ear as a more experienced player, and might see the Spider as a great sounding amp. Then a year or two down the road, you'll play some real nice amps and realise what shit the Spider is. So I'm gonna say the Cube is your best bet.
Epiphone Goth Les Paul Studio
Ibanez SA120
Peavey Raptor EXP
Takamine Electric Acoustic
Boss CS-3
Boss DD-6
Boss TU-2
Boss MT-2 (For use with my Vox)
MXR M-108 10-Band Eq
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Peavey JSX Head
Vox AD50VT
Quote by alreadygone
Gotta love the jackoffs that think theyre the greatest in the world. It's just ridiculous how the tone of your amp bothers you so much it could make you stop playing.

You know, you coulda just posted a normal request for a purchase advice without telling everyone youre so good and you cant take the terrible tone anymore- but no, that just wouldnt satisfy you.
Does anyone care that you are a singer? Is that relevant to the matter at hand?

Anyhow, if your looking for a decent upgrade, go to the store and try out a Vox AD15VT or AD30VT, maybe a Roland Cube 30X (it has more amp modelings on it than the 20X), or possibly an Epiphone Valve Junior? Dont buy a Spider or any Marshall MG.

I'm pretty sure he never said anything about being SO good until you acted like a douche in the first place. And, it's kind of relevant that he's a singer, because that means he's been into music for a little bit, and he has at least some small talent at hearing good tone.
Quote by Twist of fate
So it doesnt feel like scraping your penis on sidewalk

my gear
Ibanez GRX40 guitar
Roland Cube 60 Amp
Ibanez IBZ10G Amp

Member of
[bThe UG Asian Invasion!
Pm night_lights to join the hallowed Asian ranks (Over 2000members)
Dont listen to anyone about not getting things cause your too beginner, just get what you want, its your money. As for the question, i've never heard a Spider but they have pretty bad reputations although some ppl do really like them. I have a cube and love it, i think its a great beginner type practice amp for the level i am at. If your not happy w/ it just return it.
My Gear:

Ibanez Prestige 1570L
LH Fender Standard Stratocaster Arctic White
Ibanez Gax 70L
Roland Cube 30X
Vox V847 Wah
Boss BD-2 Blues Driver Pedal

RedSox are better than you.
Last edited by JStone233 at Feb 3, 2007,
People have generally preferred the Roland over the Line 6, try it out for yourself if you want, or just go with the Roland. Thats what Im doing.
Quote by eXperiment63

nah, he posted this before I said anything- this is what actually made me post a comment because its just ridiculous.
You're right, sorry I was looking at Trivium1123's post.
Quote by Twist of fate
So it doesnt feel like scraping your penis on sidewalk

my gear
Ibanez GRX40 guitar
Roland Cube 60 Amp
Ibanez IBZ10G Amp

Member of
[bThe UG Asian Invasion!
Pm night_lights to join the hallowed Asian ranks (Over 2000members)
Ok, due to recs in this thread and elsewhere, I am now also considering a Valve JR.

For the cost of the Cube 30X; I can get a Valve JR and a couple cheap, but quality pedals.

Two el-cheapo Behringer pedals that seem to be rated fairly good on HarmonyC.

The Behringer EQ700 7-Band EQ Pedal [9.6/10(23 Reviews)]
and
The Behringer TO800 Vintage Tube Overdrive [9.5/10(22 Reviews)]

Now I know they are plastic and probably won't last, but this is just for in-house practice, so they seem like a good bet.

I would have to get the Valve JR combo because I have nothing to hook a head into, but it seems people think they are decent enough.

Thoughts?
Well, I'm always against buying cheapo stuff because I consider it a waste of money. You know its gonna break or youre just not gonna be happy with it, and then you spend money again buying a quality product.

As to the Cube 30X: Its already got a bunch of effects from Boss built into it so it sounds great, and since youve only been playing for three months you might not be happy with the VJ after a while, because its veeeery simple. Not much to play with there. The Cube or the Vox AV15VT/AD30VT on the other hand are ridiculously versatile.

Just go to the store and try them all out
Can't... Only local music shop doesn't have any practice amps besides the spider iii and a few low end fender amps.
Get the Valve Junior Head and try to get an Avatar Cab .

Going from one practice amp to another is a waste of money.
Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
Well I just read something interesting about the Valvetronix AD30VT. You can actually turn it into a head rather simply. With a couple simple mods you can turn it into a head with an FX loop.

That definately puts that one on my map. Damn choosing guitar gear is a pain in the ass when you literally have no local shops that carry what you're in the market for.

If I could go to the store and hear them each, it would be so much easier.
Quote by alreadygone
huh, well have the store order them for you and then play them.

I asked the guy about just that and he said he won't order anything he doesn't stock if I won't commit to buying it before he does so.
Well I'm sure he would be more willing to order stuff for someone who has been going there a while, but I've only stopped in a handful of times. In fact, all I've gotten from that store is some strings and some jacks. That's it, lol.

That's really why I started this thread. So I could get a general idea of what is thought to be a good practice amp, and what is not.

So far, the Line 6 is out the window.
Right now my choices are Valve JR, Valvetronix AD30VT(which i can turn into a head very easily), and a Cube 30X.

I think in order of likelyness I will get them they are:

AD30VT - I just like the fact that I wouldn't have to buy an EQ or effects, not to mention it can be made into a head very simply. It also has a little bit more warmth than the Cube due to the valve reactor.

Valve JR - I like the tube tone, the warmth is amazing considering pricepoint and size... But it's rather simple and I would need to buy an EQ and OD pedal.

Cube 30X - Sounds pretty good from the samples and what other people have said, but lacks being able to be made into a head. Lacks that warmth you get from the valve reactor in the VOX. EDIT: I do however like the acoustic sim option.
Last edited by eXperiment63 at Feb 4, 2007,
Nah, I also had the Choice between the Vox and the Cube, but as you can see I went with the Cube because it just sounds fatter, and the settings on the Vox are really confusing. The Vox is also way overpriced (80€ more than the Cube), just because it has that Valve in the Preamp? I really wasnt so impressed with the sound, that tube is just a marketing gag. The guys at the store all said the Cube is their favorite SS combo amp-
The acoustic simulator sounds nice btw.

Plus its not like they really know me at the store. A good shop will get anything for you.
Hmmmmmmmmmmm, my buddy has an AD50VT. I'm gonna head over there today and see how I like the amp. I realize the 30 won't sound exactly the same, especially because it doesn't have the Celestion speaker, but I'll be able to get an idea about it.