ok so my computer seems to be gradually slowing down and i dont know why, load up time is slower, my internet is running slower, all my online games have massive latency issues and i have no idea why!

I've tried virus and spyware scans, disk defrag, windows error check and deleted all my temporay internet files and cookies and i still can't find the problem! I also have winpatrol which tells me if any background malware is running and it cant find any.

I have a feeling it might be a registry change but i just dont know what else to try! Any suggestions as to why it might be slowing down??? Can you recommend any daignostic tools for cleaning out my system?

Thanks in advance.
Last edited by Atreideslegend at Feb 2, 2007,
Profressional Fragmenter O&O. It does twice as much as Windows Fragmenter and gives you several types of options to choose from. It would normally cost but if you want it for free, get hold of either this months PC pro or January's. Then again, you could always upgrade to Core 2 Duo (the RAM matters too), unless you already have that.
¤´¨留話 請留話 請在我說完後
¸.•´¸.•´¨¸.•¤¨哭泣我不在這裡 我不在那裡請在嗶一聲之後留
(¸.•´ (¸.•´ .•´(´¸.•¤´`¤下自己的秘密請在嗶一聲之後對話筒沾自喜請在嗶一聲之後對空氣唉聲嘆氣

我不在這裡 我人在哪裡 我想到哪裡¤

請在嗶一聲之後留下有聲的話題¤

請在嗶一聲之後分擔感情的問題¤

¤¤¤

Is it just Internet issues? If so, it may be your connection/ISP. If its not just Internet, maybe you have too many large programs running at startup. Or maybe your HD is getting full, try removing files you don't need, but BE CAREFUL not to delete important ones.
how old is the PC and how long do you generally use it for? if you have a spare hard drive lying around, swap it with the one thats in it and do a clean install of the OS you're using, if its better then you just need to clean up the hard drive a bit and perhaps stop windows from loading things you never need or use.

if it stays the same, then the problem is hardware based.
Cort lover of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join.
On cheating in a relationship...

Quote by metaldud536
If he doesn't use a gameshark, it's not cheating.

I'm a non-regular regular old user.
Quote by olp07
Is it just Internet issues? If so, it may be your connection/ISP. If its not just Internet, maybe you have too many large programs running at startup. Or maybe your HD is getting full, try removing files you don't need, but BE CAREFUL not to delete important ones.

my disk is less than half full, its not just the internet its the whole system that seems to be going downhill, i shall try removing some programs from start-up and see if that helps...
i ahve the EXACT same thign as you man. mycomputer is junk tho., pentium 3, 18gig HD, (12 left) 384 megs of ram, and processor sped is lie 700 mgh. but everythign si getting slower and slower. and i did find a couple viruses and cleared them (in safe mode) and i ddint find any spyware/malware, but its still slow. i think its just tiem to junk thsi baby and get a core 2 duo witha 500 giger drive
you should know 2 things: antiviruses and antispyware softwares greatly reduce the speed of a comp, and disk defraging to often is hazardous for the hard disk...
"You take the blue pill , the story ends here, you wake up and believe whatever you want to believe. You take the red pill you stay in wonderland and I'll show you just how deep the rabbit hole goes."
- Morpheus

#3 of Tom Cruise Scares me club.
Try using the "Repair" option for your windows installation.
If you have the disk put it in the CD/DVD on boot up and choose to 'boot from disk'. Follow the instructions (youll know when you see a blue screen) and there should be an option to repair. It just resets all the registry to default, without losing all your data on the Hard Disk.
Quote by iHurricaneGTR

Goats are like mushrooms.
When you shoot a duck,
I'm afraid of toasters.

Quote by Avedas
South Korea should have their Starcraft league members double as military strategists.
Quote by sturm
you should know 2 things: antiviruses and antispyware softwares greatly reduce the speed of a comp, and disk defraging to often is hazardous for the hard disk...

yea, they greatly reduce it WHEN THEY'RE RUNNING

99% of antispyware can easily be disabled from starting at boot time. antivirus' and firewalls are designed to start using as little memory as possible, with the exception of Norton antivirus which is shite.

and do you know what disk defragmenting does? if you did, you probably would retract that statement
Cort lover of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join.
On cheating in a relationship...

Quote by metaldud536
If he doesn't use a gameshark, it's not cheating.

I'm a non-regular regular old user.
Just take it to a shop and have them take a look; if they're not asses about it, it should only cost a couple of bucks for them to check everything out and offer a solution.
"Sticking Feathers up your butt does not make you a chicken"--Tyler Durden

Cufk, TisH, Sips