Hey I was wondering about the differences between say a Maxon TS-9 and a Fulltone OCD? I mean I know that the TS-9 is an overdrive and the Fulltone OCD is just a boost, but how does that translate to actual sound. I was listening to clips of all the same amp and same player and Fulltone really tightened things up, and the TS-9 seemed a bit grittier. Which would be better for tightening up the sound and driving the pre-amp tubes on a JCM900?
PM Me for any help you need with recording systems/tips
Quote by BrianApocalypse
Good call

Man, you should be a mod, you know everything.

well the Ts is meant to tighten up your sound, its all down to preference I guess. I would try them both out.
Yeah I personally think the El-34's in a Marshall create enough grit on their own, and I was just wondering if the TS-9 would just add to that.
PM Me for any help you need with recording systems/tips
Quote by BrianApocalypse
Good call

Man, you should be a mod, you know everything.

If you just want a solo boost, get an eq pedal.

That way you can eq your lead tone just right in the process. Alot of pro musicians do this.
Quote by deg0ey
The best pickups for emo are no pickups at all...

Gear:

1996 Les Paul Classic w/ Alnico II's
Marshall Jubilee 2550
Vox V847 Wah
Assorted pedals
i find i dont need one.

def dont use one to add volume or gain

use it as a clear increase boost to tighten it up, but i find its better without after all this time
^why, davedoom ??

Tons of artists use them for gain tightners, let alone solo boosts !!
Tone is all ...... well probably 75%, in your fingers.
The rest depends on your wallet's thickness !!

Keep the faith, baby!!
i like to add more grit/feedback, and balls to my solos. I use a big muff, it makes my guitar sound super phat and nasty.

but if you just want a volume boost with little to no added dirtayness, do the EQ thang, when you boost the frequencies, they'll drive your tubes some more, so youll have some natural tube pushage going on (oh ya, im all about the proper terms)
http://www.theweekendkids.com

Gibson Les Paul Studio w/dirtyfingers pickups
Gibson Joan Jett Melody Maker
VOX ac30 head
Marshall 1960 4x12 cab
Fender Hot Rod Deville
Quote by bluespunkmetal
^why, davedoom ??

Tons of artists use them for gain tightners, let alone solo boosts !!

just the way i am, EQs though, theyre cool
yeah..... I'm also a kinda NO PEDAL dude......

But then I listen to people who get their amazing tone through pedals and now I'm in some kinda half-stance.......
Tone is all ...... well probably 75%, in your fingers.
The rest depends on your wallet's thickness !!

Keep the faith, baby!!
EH LPB-1. best boost ever, and it does drive your tubes harder, and tightens it up. or at least it does with my tube amp.
Quote by corduroyEW
Cheap amps are "that bad". They suck up your tone like cocaine at Kate Moss' party.

I am Michael!
i do have that S.D Twin Tube which actually kicks more ass than high end amps like Mesa's