Hey, my friends looking for a bass.. and he's never played, complete beginner... any suggestions on a good brand he should start with?
Soon.... I Will be The Next Hendrix!!
The Jesus Of Zeppelinism, PM TheHeartbreaker to join!
Price range? Fender Jazz or Precision? probably for a beginner get the standard or a squier version?
Peavey Limited Exp Hss
BC Rich BW-4000BB
Schecter C-1 Classic
Do not buy a squire. 11 zillion people will recommend one. All Fenders and Squires are firewood.

Get one of the low end Ibanez models, or a Peavey Millenium ( Personally i think the Millenium Series Bass will carry him through beginner to intermediate status very nicely...perhaps even beyond if you spend a little more and get the ACTIVE EQ model ).

Plus it just LOOKS better than a ratty Fender anyway
Attachments:
PM4BXP.jpg
Gear:
Charvel/Jackson 3B Bass
Jackson CMG Bass
Ibanez BTB575FM 5-String Bass
Vintage 70s Ampeg V9 SVT/ Ampeg 8x10 Cab
Fender Deluxe Blackout Telecaster

Angelus Mortem
Last edited by Angelus Mortem at Feb 2, 2007,
Quote by Angelus Mortem
Do not buy a squire. 11 zillion people will recommend one. All Fenders and Squires are firewood.

You are possibly the dumbest most close minded person I have ever come into contact with.

Squier makes some of the best beginner basses out there. The Ibanez GSR is also a great beginner model. I own a Jay Turser and if you get a good one they are great. I can see this one easily giggable and it's only about $300 Canadian! Dollars.
jazz_rock_feel: You are possibly the dumbest most close minded person I have ever come into contact with.

Squier makes some of the best beginner basses out there.

I could reply in kind, but since i do not want to make a blanket statement without providing good reasons for it here goes:

Head to the Fender Webbie and click on the pic of any/all Fender Basses you like.

What is the FIRST thing you notice about every single model?

A huge tortoise Shell pickguard, yes?

Do you OWN a Fender? I do.. a vintage 70's "Precision". *Grabs a phillips Screwdriver* Lets remove the pickguard and take a peek shall we?

Oh LOOK!! They took a router and cut HUGE GROOVES all over the face to the Bass body just to string a few little wires! How NIFTY and ORIGINAL!! ( Lazy ).

Now let's take a gander at that bridge while we are taking full measure of this thing...
( Granted: Fender HAS upgraded the original bridge somewhat since my 70's model was produced ).
Need i say more?

( The Fender P does NOT appear in my gear list for good reason. It is firewood. )
Gear:
Charvel/Jackson 3B Bass
Jackson CMG Bass

Angelus Mortem
Last edited by Angelus Mortem at Feb 2, 2007,
Some people will be annoyed but I love my Fender Squier Precision bass. It came in sunburst with a white scratchplate, which I didn't like. I put a black scratchplate on and it looks killer. The pickups are 10 years old and still sound ace (for a £130 Squier). Although i'm sure there are better basses out there for the money, my bass has sentimental value. Just to note my bass is 10 years old, i'm not sure on what todays quality is like.
i started of an ibanez gsr and i definetly reccomend it. its great bass for the price. tone knobs did became a little loose, but they are still working perfectly and i have had it for year and a half. from what i heard and played, squier doesnt make such bad basses for the price, at least i didnt notice some big disadvantages... well its not very good, but not bad neither. in my opinion it is pretty good value.
I am currently filling in all the router Grooves Fender put into my P-Bass, and i have added a place for another split pickup ( most Basses go with a P/J configuration, which my Charvel/Jackson has covered, so i thought to go with something a little different ). I am adding EMG active cicuitry, a Leo Quan Bassass Bass II Bridge, and i have shaved down those uber-round cutaways, and modified the headstock also.

Once it is operational, i will look like nothing else out there, and it certainly won't look like a Fender ( other than the fretboard of course ).
Gear:
Charvel/Jackson 3B Bass
Jackson CMG Bass

Angelus Mortem
Meh. To each their own, Mortem. I love Precisions and find that yeah, their routing is a little on the loose side, but it doesn't make their construction unstable and their tone is what matters.

And the bridge on most modern Fenders I play is as solid looking as anything you could ask for in stock hardware. Admittedly - modern. But Fender had a sketchy 70's period, iirc.

Yamaha RBX and BTB series basses are nice for beginners, I find. But yes, Squiers have wobbled around in quality but some of the recent crop are very nice indeed. I was deliberating whether or not to pick up a Jazz or something to screw around with actually.

I will concede Peavey Milennium basses are pretty flashy for their price. Glossy and rocky looking finish and the EQ is very handy. I wasn't sure on the neck though.
And yet, to me, what is this quintessence of dust? Man delights not me: no, nor woman neither... nor women neither.
I've always liked Fenders, but the J-bass is more my sort of thing.
I <3 bangoodcharlotte

Quote by humperdunk
one time i let my cat has cheezburger. i thought it was pretty funny.
I'd definetly take a look at the Squier Vintage Modified models... the Jazz model is a great bass.
Fender isn's as bad as all that or i would have sold the thing when it was in once piece! LOL!

I did like the neck/playability of it, the density of the wood.

There were just a few issues that kept me looking at other makes and models the entire time i was using it.

Sorry if offended my fellow bassists that swear by Fender and Squire basses, but i think all new players should look beyond just Fenders. There is a world of good instruments out there, try them all
Gear:
Charvel/Jackson 3B Bass
Jackson CMG Bass

Angelus Mortem
Quote by Angelus Mortem
Do not buy a squire. All Fenders and Squires are firewood.

Quote by Angelus Mortem

Oh LOOK!! They took a router and cut HUGE GROOVES all over the face to the Bass body just to string a few little wires! How NIFTY and ORIGINAL!! ( Lazy ).

( The Fender P does NOT appear in my gear list for good reason. It is firewood. )

Quote by Angelus Mortem
Fender isn's as bad as all that or i would have sold the thing when it was in once piece!

I did like the neck/playability of it, the density of the wood.

make up your mind.
Im a guitar player but i do have a squier jazz bass. I love that thing. Its built like a rock. And it sure isnt firewood, cause it does the trick for me as i dont play near as much bass as guitar.
Quote by funkdaddyfresh
justin, that was easily the most inspiring, helpful piece of advice anyone has ever given me in regards to my musical pursuits.

Screaming Help
Squire P-bass. It's cheap. It's easy to play. It sounds great. What more could you want?I love mine and plan on keeping it for the rest of my/it's life.
Proud Owner of a Fender Jazz 24 V

Private Simmons of the Red vs. Blue club. PM Fret13 to join.

Things to come:
Carvin or Trace-elliot rig
EBS Valvedrive (Newest edition )
Quote by Applehead
make up your mind.

I have, long ago.

The only Fender i ever owned ( and ever will own ) is not going to be a Fender when i get through with it.

But in fairness, go play one, why not?

But try other basses too, don't get stuck with a sub-par instrument just because it is the most popular name-brand.
Gear:
Charvel/Jackson 3B Bass
Jackson CMG Bass

Angelus Mortem
Quote by Cobe
i started of an ibanez gsr and i definetly reccomend it. its great bass for the price. tone knobs did became a little loose, but they are still working perfectly and i have had it for year and a half. from what i heard and played, squier doesnt make such bad basses for the price, at least i didnt notice some big disadvantages... well its not very good, but not bad neither. in my opinion it is pretty good value.

i second that
If you can afford the little extra that it would cost, a Schecter Stiletto Deluxe-4 is a good place to start. It isn't a "beginner" bass per se, but it does give you a very stable platform to begin with. It'll hold out in your growth as a musician a bit longer than many others as well.

If ~$350 is out or your range though, like everyone else has said, a Squier is the place to start. It may not be the best thing on earth, but its definately worth every penny. Ibanez makes some decent basses as well, but I'd still push for the Squier or Schecter.

Quote by Angelus Mortem
But try other basses too, don't get stuck with a sub-par instrument just because it is the most popular name-brand.

I've played every bass I can get my hands on. Fender, Squier, Epiphone, Gibson, Ibanez, MusicMan, Peavy, Schecter, and many more. Hell, I've even played a Daisy Rock just for shits and giggles. Personally, I find Schecter to be gods gift to bassists, but that doesn't change the fact that I still find Fenders to be damn fine instruments. The only, and I mean ONLY problem I have with them is a matter of playability. It just doesn't sit in my hands quite right, and doesn't play too well for me. Still sounds great though.

If you spend any time on this board at all, I'm sure you've noticed my fanatical obsession with Schecters. I will take a Schecter over any other bass in existance. But when I was looking for a fretless and couldn't spring for the $600+ a Studio fretless would cost, where did I turn to? Fender of course. They're sturdy, reliable, and if the bridge and pickups aren't quite up to mine or your standards, well, they're the most easily modded basses you can get. I'm not too pleased with the performance of the stock Fender bridge on my fretless, so what am I gonna do? Bitch about how crappy it is and how Fender basses are worthless? No, I'm gonna go buy a BadAss II bridge, maybe some noisless pickups, and be happy that I own a great instrument.

Whether you like it or not, Fender created the electric bass, and will always know best what to do with it. Why else would people who can afford Rickenbackers and Stingrays, and even custom built basses still turn to Fenders? Obviously they're doing something right. Hell, just look at Geddy Lee. He's played everything from a Rickenbacker to a Steinburger and he still came to rest on a Fender Jazz for its quality and versatility. Are you saying one of the most influential and talented bassits of our time plays a piece of worthless firewood?

Opinion is one thing. You can dislike the sound and look of a Fender bass all you want, but you can never deny the fact that they are and always have been among the best basses you can buy.
Now introducing: thefitz: thegame. It's what all the cool kids are playing!

For rules and details please see thefitz's signature. Fett13 Inc. is not responsible for any injuries or loss of life resulting from thefitz: thegame
©2008 Fett13 Inc.
We will just have to agree to disagree

Geddys signature series J-Bass has a Leo Quan Bridge. nice choice. :P

Can't argue with Geddy, he is ( indirectly ) one of my teachers.
Gear:
Charvel/Jackson 3B Bass
Jackson CMG Bass

Angelus Mortem
im going with the Ibanez GSR-200, its amazing for the price($200), you could definately gig with it, plus its ACTIVE

I'm suprised no one's recommended the SX basses from www.rondomusic.net. Cheaper than pretty much every other beginner brand out there except the Wal-Mart FirstActs (which you should never, ever buy), and you actually get a decent bass out of it, apparantly. The guys over on Talkbass are in love with these things, so they can't be very bad.
Quote by Angelus Mortem
We will just have to agree to disagree

Geddys signature series J-Bass has a Leo Quan Bridge. nice choice. :P

Can't argue with Geddy, he is ( indirectly ) one of my teachers.

Exactly. It isn't a matter of the bass or brand being bad, its a difference of opinion. I absolutely hate musicman basses, but I still have to admit they're pretty good basses, that's why people buy them. You hate Fenders, but you still have to admit, they get the job done and do it better than a lot of other basses out there.
Now introducing: thefitz: thegame. It's what all the cool kids are playing!

For rules and details please see thefitz's signature. Fett13 Inc. is not responsible for any injuries or loss of life resulting from thefitz: thegame
©2008 Fett13 Inc.
I suggest Yamaha or Ibanez, and yeah if you can stretch a little further a Schecter or maybe mexican Fender.
Quote by Bumper
Looks like you had a big bowl of Downs Syndrome for breakfast.

Member of the Bass Militia, PM Nutter_101 to join

Lover of Ashdown? Join the Ashdown Army!
You can get an Ibanez GSR 190 pack for under 300 I think? And that is a pretty solid instrument. Its light, which is always good. Mine has a 35" scale, but I don't think thats the standard.

But if your price range is around 500, you could get a much better bass. I wouldn't go fender because if you spend 450 on the instrument, everything else will be crap. And a bad amp would make ANY bass sound bad.
well..i live in canada and i started with LYON by Washburn..its not the greatest but its sufficient for beginners i think Also the 1st band i ever played in i used this same bass and my solo's sounded amazing thx to this baby
Angels of the Condemned
Last edited by emo.child.101 at Feb 3, 2007,
i got a shi*ty epihone p-bass as my first bass, it sucked hard. after a few months i moved on to musicman.

a good starting brand is either Yamaha or Ibanez
Gear: 08 Fender MIA Jazz bass,
American Peavey Millenium Plus 4,
GK 1001RBII,
Mesa/Boogie RR215,
Schecter C-1 Classic.
i just started (played guitar for years) and i bought an OLP-MM2 and i like it. sounds decent, i guess. but what the hell do i know? $200.
Schecter C-1+
Fender FM212R
Boss MD-2
A shitload of other pedals I never use.

Quote by Nelsean
I swallowed a marble when I was 8. I pooped it out in the same day too.

Quote by stringmagician
Only funny thing in this whole thread.
the ibanez gsr series, peavey milleniuns', and yes even the squier standard series (i'd stay away from the affinity series, and the ibanez gsr190 while im at it). there are other bands with less notoriety that will do well, the best thing you can do is get a learned bass/guitar friend who knows his gear to help you. you never hear ppl recommend sx basses anymore.

www.rondomusic.net
Quote by SocKo?
the ibanez gsr series, peavey milleniuns', and yes even the squier standard series (i'd stay away from the affinity series, and the ibanez gsr190 while im at it). there are other bands with less notoriety that will do well, the best thing you can do is get a learned bass/guitar friend who knows his gear to help you. you never hear ppl recommend sx basses anymore.

www.rondomusic.net

you do on Talkbass, they are the shit. i wish i started on one!
Gear: 08 Fender MIA Jazz bass,
American Peavey Millenium Plus 4,
GK 1001RBII,
Mesa/Boogie RR215,
Schecter C-1 Classic.
Quote by Funkbass796
Squire P-bass.

The subject at hand...

Quote by Funkbass796
It's cheap.

The truth...

Quote by Funkbass796
It's easy to play.

More of the truth...

Quote by Funkbass796
It sounds great.

And the lies begin...

At thread starter: If you like Fender stuff, buy a Standard Precision/Jazz Bass from FENDER. Avoid this squire BS that so many little kiddies around these boards represent. They are truly lame ass instruments. For the sub-200 hundred price tag, you could get an Ibanez, ESP, Yamaha, or Peavey that's comparable to the 300 dollar tag on Squire's highest end instruments.