Where do you register a band or do you have to get a contract? just i'm makin a band and our name keeps endin up somewhere so we can't take it so we want to register asap we already been through 3 names
Write a letter to yourself that states that your band name is your own intellectual property.

And then when you get the letter, NEVER open it until you decide to sue someone who steals your name.

The date that the post office prints on the letter is proof that you thought of the name before they used it.

EDIT: If I was you, I wouldn't even bother though; it's just a band name.
Every atom belonging to me as good belongs to you
I know i suppose your right its just we really would like to post some of our band stuff cuase if you ask me i'm alright at making the music.
Taken Band names:
The Descendants
The Ascendants
Oblivion
Name possibilities:
Eyes Of Oblivion
Vampires of Oblivion
Eyes of Hatred
Contact me&tell which are taken/too close to another band
Quote by Life Is Hell
I know i suppose your right its just we really would like to post some of our band stuff cuase if you ask me i'm alright at making the music.

... So, your band wants to post some stuff, and you're the one who's alright at making music. One man doing the bands work. Great going. team effort is needed.

Anyway, i actually have no idea how you register a band. Just look around Ug, or look at the help on the Ug site, you might find it, I have no idea.

As far as copyrighting your band name, that whole thing about mailing a letter to urself is one of the largest pieces of missinformation on the net!

You must mail a copy of your band name, with date and such and such on it (the government site for it can be found at http://www.copyright.gov/ . I think the cost is 30 dollors, so that must be mailed with it in the form that they ask for).

There they will store this for you for all time that our government stands as it currently is .

All appropriate steps are on that site .

EDIT:

WOH! Make that 45 dollors US.

Increased on July 1st! YIKES!

And of course, this is all if you live in the USA... elsewhere I don't have a clue what they do for Copyright.
"grateful is he who plays with open fingers" - Me

┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐

DO NOT CLICK HERE!
Last edited by Outside Octaves at Feb 2, 2007,
Quote by Outside Octaves
As far as copyrighting your band name, that whole thing about mailing a letter to urself is one of the largest pieces of missinformation on the net!

You must mail a copy of your band name, with date and such and such on it (the government site for it can be found at http://www.copyright.gov/ . I think the cost is 30 dollors, so that must be mailed with it in the form that they ask for).

There they will store this for you for all time that our government stands as it currently is .

All appropriate steps are on that site .

EDIT:

WOH! Make that 45 dollors US.

Increased on July 1st! YIKES!

And of course, this is all if you live in the USA... elsewhere I don't have a clue what they do for Copyright.

Wow, you really have to go through all that?

Boy, was I misinformed. Anyway, if that's the case, there's almost no point of going through with it.
Every atom belonging to me as good belongs to you
thanks dudes, only problem is the band is in England
Taken Band names:
The Descendants
The Ascendants
Oblivion
Name possibilities:
Eyes Of Oblivion
Vampires of Oblivion
Eyes of Hatred
Contact me&tell which are taken/too close to another band
what they are refering to as the mail yourself a letter is what is called "the poor mans patent" it will hold up in court if you can prove it with other evidence as well, you don't need to send money to any government office, its just a band name
I got kicked off My University Server for a month for doing stuff i shouldn't be doing (my love for music out weighs my love for money). I won't be to active for a month.