Hello!

Brand new to the forums and brand new to guitars in general. Looking for some input regarding my very first electric guitar. Before this, the only time I've ever handled a musical instrument was poke at a guitar that a friend of mine owned, years and years ago. I've been wanting to learn for some time now though, so I finally stepped up to the plate and hit a local music store.

They were very nice, didn't even ask how much I was willing to spend, but sat with me, asked me what I would like to play (pretty much everything from alternative -> metal -> whatever), and had me 'test drive' a bunch of models without any pressure towards any particular brand.

I finally settled on and picked THIS up for a haggled price of about $190. It was the most comfortable to me, and it sounded great.

Now oddly enough (did a search on these forums and a few other sites), I don't really see all too much about this guitar. From what I've gathered, Samick won an award in 2006 for their guitars, and a few long time musicians I know were very impressed with what I got.

I guess I was wondering what all your opinions are since I haven't really seen much about it on the web (terribly good, or terribly bad). How long can I expect this guitar to possibly last as I learn to play on it? Should I learn on something else? If I get to the level of performing for maybe a few people (whenever that may be), would this suffice?
That's a good starter guitar. I've tried many Samick guitars, and I find them just as good as many other brand name guitars that cost like 50-100% more.

As for quality, Samick's manufacturing branch (it operated under a different name, with Samick being 'their' brand) produce about 75% of the guitars made in Korea, regardless of the name on the headstock. The big companies don't have their own plants in Korea. They contract their Korean models to guitar makers already in Korea, and of those, Samick are the largest.
Guitars: Custom Lado Earth 2000-3, Custom ESP Explorer, BC Rich KKV, Gibson LP Studio, Greco SG, El Degas Stratocaster, Agile AL-3000, LTD EX-351

Rig:Marshall JVM410H + Marshall 1960A, Boss Noise Suppressor
To add to what I said, I just checked their site. This is the first time I've actually heard an admission (either from Samick or from the 'big names') that they produce their instruments. I knew because I have friends in the business and they know what's going on. But the big names will never say it's Samick making their guitars....

For almost 40 years Samick has manufactured product for the leading brand names in the guitar business. In the process, we learned a great deal about not only what goes into a great guitar, but how to produce it at an affordable price. We also realized that the ability to produce quality product at an affordable price was only half the equation. There needed to be an all out effort to develop a powerful new identity for the product and our company.
Guitars: Custom Lado Earth 2000-3, Custom ESP Explorer, BC Rich KKV, Gibson LP Studio, Greco SG, El Degas Stratocaster, Agile AL-3000, LTD EX-351

Rig:Marshall JVM410H + Marshall 1960A, Boss Noise Suppressor
Thanks for the reply! I read a little bit about Samick from their website, which was part of the reason I went ahead with the purchase. Mainly, I just liked the way it felt, sounded, and the price definitely wasn't bad either.

Edit: Yay for spelling!
they carry samicks at my local shop and there great for learning on, and not that expensive
gear:
fender mim telecaster w/ some extra stuff
Vox Ad50vt
Vox V847 Wah
Boss OS-2
Keeley Boss DS-1 Ultra
Electro-Harmonix Big Muff Pi USA
MXR Phase 90
Boss CH-1
If it gets your started and you like it, then it's great. Later on as you progress as a musician you'll outgrow it and find something you'll like better. Then again, nothing is better than your first guitar......
My Gear:

Jackson RR3 Pro
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Fender CD140 Acoustic/Electric
Line 5 HD500 effects unit
Marshall MA100

"Grunge was invented for people who can't play solos"
i got a samick acoustic and it was the best choice at the shop for the price. built in tuner and solid top with awesome feel, tone and playabilty for $300
My Rig
>MIM Fender Stratocaster and SX SJM-62
>various magicial noise boxes
>Peavey Classic 50 212

For the funk:
>Ibanez ATK300
>Acoustic B100