Hey people, Ive been playing guitar for around two years now and I need new stuff to learn. I can play RHCP, some Hendrix and all that pop punk stuff. However, I need to learn something new that will make me a better player. I learnt MOP today but can anyone suggest some bands to listen to and learn. I like RHCP mainly and Im more into clean and crunch sounds rather than heavy distortion (but I dont mind Metallica), so what can you suggest? Cheers
My Gear :
Fender American Strat in Metallic Red
EHX Big Muff
Boss ME-50
Boss SD-1
Fender 15 Watt Amp (Upgrade soon to a Marshall )
Red Furry guitar strap

John Frusciante - The Greatest Guitarist EVER
If you want to build skill and stuff take a look into:
Steve Vai
Joe Satriani
John Petrucci
Paul Gilbert
and take a look here: http://www.daveweiner.com click on riff of the week, it has loads of lessons on things which'll make you better at theory or just plain skill.
OPETH!! they opened my eyes and ears to new types of music and technical playing. It doesn't sound like you're much of a metal head though, so only listen if you can brave a couple of minutes of death grunts. Or alternitavley, listen to some bleusy stuff, Gary Moore mainly, and maybe such Yngwie or Paul Gilbert.
megadeth is very technical, try stuff off rust in peace. i hope you are using all downpicking for master of puppets
Gear: ESP MH250 NT
ESP EX400 ow
Ashton Dualler

Marshall MG50DFX

Jim Dunlop Cry Baby Wah
EHX metal muff
cheers, I look around at those
My Gear :
EHX Big Muff
Boss ME-50
Boss SD-1
Red Furry guitar strap

More Hendrix! Learn some of his harder songs, and lots off Electric Ladyland.
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30
Hey R_H_C_P. I'll probably get a Hendrix book (I can never find good tabs). O Im going to Dawsons in Stockport tomorrow and I'll try out a DSL401 and I might get one in a couple of months if I like it because I suddenly realised how big and loud and pointless a half stack is for me, I'll also try their Fender Blues Deluxe.
My Gear :
EHX Big Muff
Boss ME-50
Boss SD-1
Red Furry guitar strap

The thing with Hendrix stuff tho, is that you've gotta downtune to properly play (you can work around it though...)
Good luck with your amp hunt though Try some Oranges too.
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30
Cheers, my fender has a floating bridge - so incredably annoying to detune. For amps, I dunno - Im thinking of getting a valve amp (like the DSL401) now so I can use it in the annual school in april/may and then get some cool effects later in the year - I just cant justify a half stack or really expensive combo for school and home practice now - when I start playing outside school Id probably upgrade anyway. Cheers for all the help so far man.
My Gear :
EHX Big Muff
Boss ME-50
Boss SD-1
Red Furry guitar strap