Im wondering about how to include a time change into a song successfully. Are theyre any tricks and tips I can use or do you just go for it and just change the time. Do you have to do anything tricky to make it sound right?
Quote by Johnljones7443
Shredding is having control over your instrument and being free of technical obstacles so your music is not limited by your playing ability.

Quote by Aidy Damage
Classical Gas is when you fart and it smells like the inside of a violin. EVERYONE knows that. n00bs...
^ changing time sigs is a funny thing, with the best of musicians it won't feel forced. going from 4/4 into 3/4 and things of that nature, i personally do by instinct, just feel how i want it to go, not every thing will have time changes, but it is always possible to put one in if you really want it. i'm sure there are some articles on ug about this.
Yeah, I would love to hear more about how to do it, or some articles. Esspecially for the more complex time signatures. thanks
Quote by Johnljones7443
Shredding is having control over your instrument and being free of technical obstacles so your music is not limited by your playing ability.

Quote by Aidy Damage
Classical Gas is when you fart and it smells like the inside of a violin. EVERYONE knows that. n00bs...
well theres virtually countless # of ways to do it. i would seriously recommend some tool, they use a TON of time sig changes and you'd never know it unless you actually counted out everything in the song. i think they would be the best example of modern bands to use. as they do, the best thing you can do is not force it. imo none of their changes sound foreced, they all sound natural.
^^ I agree Tool and Dream Theater tend to change time sigs seamlessly.

Devon, look up the Art Rock lessons. I think they covered metric modulation.
My name is Andy
Quote by MudMartin
Only looking at music as math and theory, is like only looking at the love of your life as flesh and bone.

Swinging to the rhythm of the New World Order,
Counting bodies like sheep to the rhythm of the war drums
^^ I agree Tool and Dream Theater tend to change time sigs seamlessly.

Megadeth has alot of awesome time signatures as well.
Tony

New rule: Shave your pubes. The ladies love it.
If you're having problems with it, you can always put it a little drum fill and then when the guitars, bass and vocals start up it's in a different time signature.
Ok how about changing tempo? Can that even be done in a song?? Say I wanted to make a song than put a slow part in it. Would i just have to changed the drums from 16th notes to 8th notes or can you acctualyl slow it down?
Quote by Johnljones7443

Quote by Aidy Damage
Quote by Devon8822
Ok how about changing tempo? Can that even be done in a song?? Say I wanted to make a song than put a slow part in it. Would i just have to changed the drums from 16th notes to 8th notes or can you acctualyl slow it down?

You can change to the tempo if you want to

Look up songs by Death, they change tempos in their songs a lot
Quote by Devon8822

sure you can!!! i have a song that starts out at i think 100 bpm and over 4 measures doubles its bpm to 200 (or was it 120 to 240? ) but anyways you can definately do this, i recommend an automated metronome if you plan on recording something like this . i also recommend gradually changing it, granted you can just stop a tempo and start a new one but depending on the song it might sound a bit forced for the listener and my personal tastes dictate that a song should sound natural, not forced. but if you think it fits the song best then go for it!