Hey, I've got a question about my Freeway Classic (Godin guitar, duncan designed pickups if my info is right):

I've been wanting for a long time to cut the hum in positions 2 and 4 (SC + neck/bridge humbucker), but I wanna know if this is possible without getting a push-pull pot.

I wanna be able to automatically split the coils (so that either the slug or adjustable is on) when in positions 2 and 4.

This would buck the hum and not affect my output to an extreme degree, right?

If you can, include wiring diagrams. Thanks.
Every atom belonging to me as good belongs to you
Yes, it's possible. DiMarzio has instructions on their website, and Ibanez may as well. The only thing you'll need is a new 5 way 20+ tab switch. I did what you're trying to do, but with a H-H-H configuration (the middle S is actually a stacked humbucker). www.guitarelectronics.com may also have the schematic you're looking for. Also, you'll need to make sure your humbuckers are 4 conductor before you'll be able to do this mod. If not, you'll need new humbuckers.
Hi, I'm Peter
Last edited by Dirk Gently at Feb 2, 2007,
Quote by Dirk Gently
Yes, it's possible. DiMarzio has instructions on their website, and Ibanez may as well. The only thing you'll need is a new 5 way 20+ tab switch. I did what you're trying to do, but with a H-H-H configuration (the middle S is actually a stacked humbucker). www.guitarelectronics.com may also have the schematic you're looking for. Also, you'll need to make sure your humbuckers are 4 conductor before you'll be able to do this mod. If not, you'll need new humbuckers.

I know that in the control cavity, there are two sets of green and white wires soldered together that arent attached to the switch. Does that mean that they're four conductor pickups?
Just checking, are you positive it's not already wired that way?

I know that in the control cavity, there are two sets of green and white wires soldered together that arent attached to the switch. Does that mean that they're four conductor pickups?

ah....in that case it isn't! Yes, you have four conductor pickups.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Last edited by steven seagull at Feb 2, 2007,
If that's the case, then probably. You probably have a red that's soldered to the switch and a black that's soldered to the ground. If that's the case, then you should be all set pickup-wise. Just remember, not every company uses the same color coding system, so if you use a DiMarzio schematic, go to the Seymour Duncan website and find out which color is the positive and negative for each coil, and then follow the directions but using the Duncan color coding.
Hi, I'm Peter
Anyway, thanks for links and help guys.

EDIT: I suck at navigating websites Where can I find schematics, and how do I know which contacts to solder to?
Last edited by Kutanmoogle at Feb 2, 2007,
?

I thought you wanted hum cancelling?
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

Quote by steven seagull
?

I thought you wanted hum cancelling?

I do, but I'm looking to tap the coils in both humbuckers, while using a normal single coil in the middle.

So the hum cancelling is gonna come from the outside or inside coil of a humbucker + the single coil in the middle.

The schematic is pretty much the same so it doesn't matter. I just have to find a 20 tab switch now.
Quote by steven seagull
My bad, it was late and I didn't read it properly!

This is the one you want
http://www.dimarzio.com/media/diagrams/C.pdf

Thanks bud! But where are you finding these? I've been browsing the Dimarzio site for a while now, and I can't find anything worthwhile.

Also, all my terminals are on the same side of the switch, so how do I know which terminal in the diagram translates to the right terminal on my guitar's switch?
click on any of the pickup models, then click on the installation tab in the description window at the bottom right.

I think you just count the terminals as 1,2,3,4 etc, counting from the bridge.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

Quote by steven seagull
click on any of the pickup models, then click on the installation tab in the description window at the bottom right.

I think you just count the terminals as 1,2,3,4 etc, counting from the bridge.

Ok so in the switch in the picture, I would count in a zig-zag right? So that 2 is on the opposite of terminal 1, 3 opposite 4 etc?
Ok so in the switch in the picture, I would count in a zig-zag right? So that 2 is on the opposite of terminal 1, 3 opposite 4 etc?

yes
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

Okay, the colour coding on my pickups doesn't correspond at all to SD colours, so I'm gonna assume that they aren't Duncan Designed.

I soldered the green and white wires from each pickup to their corresponding terminal, but now the problem is that my humbuckers are constantly tapped.

My terminals look like this right now.

Bridge middle neck commn commn bridge middle neck
red white red red to output grn/wht grn/wht

Both commons are connected by a wire, and the green/white pairs are soldered together (they used to be the pairs that were taped together and not doing anything).

If this is really complicated, then I could provide a picture.
Last edited by Kutanmoogle at Feb 6, 2007,