this is the chorus line from 311's "sweet" off the blue album and i'm having a hell of a time figuring out the solo because i have NO CLUE what the underlying principle is behind this. here you go and thx in advance for any help.

1:-------------------------------------------------------------------
2:------------------9-----------------------------------------------
3:----------------7----7-------------------------------------------
4:-------6-7-9----------9-7-6-7-6-0----------------------------
5:-5-7----------------------------------5-4---4--4--4--5--4-----
6:--------------------------------------------5-----------------5-3

edit: starting to look like some combination between E7 and Abdim for the first part? 2nd part is obviously just A major, but it's that first part that's both freaking me out and bringing my to my knees. the line is literally "sweet"
DETHKLOK RULZ!
Last edited by Pizzapotamus at Feb 2, 2007,
I believe it's simply D Lydian with some notes taken out.
hai guize join mah gr00pz plz kthx:

Quote by Sanctus Ignis
I believe it's simply D Lydian with some notes taken out.
D Lydian wouldn't have a G.

I'm thinking it's A Mixolydian, though it could be any of the respective modes depending on the context.
Hmm...I think I said D Lydian because I saw the G# but not the last G. Who knows?

bangoodcharlotte has a good point, it could be "multi-modal" depending on how you're looking at it.
hai guize join mah gr00pz plz kthx:

Quote by Sanctus Ignis
Hmm...I think I said D Lydian because I saw the G# but not the last G. Who knows?

bangoodcharlotte has a good point, it could be "multi-modal" depending on how you're looking at it.
Damn, you're right. There is a G# in there.

Therefore, it can't be A Mixolydian.

I'm going with the first little bit as D Lydian and the end as A Mixolydian. This wouldn't happen to be played over any chords or a bassline, would it?