Alright, so I have been looking through this section of the forums more often recently and it got me to thinking that maybe I should try my hand at modding my old 1997 Affinty Squier. So I took it apart and found that the pickup setup was H-S-H, since i just bought a new tele I thought about possibly turning this old squier into a H-H setup to have another guitar for heavier tones. My question is if I can make it H-H or do I have to keep it H-S-H? Since I don't really need the single coil in the middle. Also is this even a worthwhile project to sink money into this guitar? I kind of just wanted to use this guitar as a beginning for possible future mods, but if it's gonna sound like crap afterwards it's gonna seem like a waste of time. Thanks.

My Gear
Epiphone Les Paul Standard (Duncan SH-6 in bridge)
Fender 50's Stratocaster (Duncan Hotrails in bridge)
Fender Standard Telecaster (Fender SCN Pickups)
Marshall JCM 900 4500
Vox DA5
You can do it H-H hell you could do it H-S or H-S-P90
And it is worth it, alder body, if you upgrade everyhting it should sound near enough to a mexi fender.
id say this would be a 150 dollar mod at most, and yes i will make your guitar better.

you need:

2x humbuckeers (get branded ones) (in a set, cost about 100 bucks)
H H setting pickguard (ebay) (20 bucks at most?)
2x 500k pots (10 bucks?)
some soldering devices, if you dont have them

the experiences you will get will be a foundation for your future mods.

id say, go for it!
I've never liked the look of double fatstrats. You can buy a HSH pickguard, and just stick one of the old singles in the middle, but not wire it.
Will says:
DON'T FEAR THE REAPER!
- SmarterChild - says:
I don't know if I can help it.

Member #6 of the "I play my guitar as high as Tom Morello does" club
That has to be on eof the nicest squire bodies I have ever seen. Wanna sell it? Heheh. Seriously though if you wan to go HH (the strat gods are crying) it will work just fine. With a little research you could find wiring diagrams for all sorts of pot combos: VTT, VVT, etc (research mods are free )

keep us posted,
R-
Don't drink water, fish #@$! in it.
Quote by Will_Minus
I've never liked the look of double fatstrats. You can buy a HSH pickguard, and just stick one of the old singles in the middle, but not wire it.

+1. and you need neon green knobs, too.
Quote by corduroyEW
Cheap amps are "that bad". They suck up your tone like cocaine at Kate Moss' party.

I am Michael!
I reckon you should put PAF style pups in, that would look sexy.

EDIT: With the covers
Chief arsonist of the Australia FTW! Club, PM the_random_hero or Alter-Bridge to join
Last edited by 40 pancakes at Feb 2, 2007,
Well i'll have to see what i'll put in there, anyways I kinda turned this into a full project now because tonight I started sanding the body and it looks pretty good so far. I'm wondering if I should think about getting a different neck though cause i'm not sure this squier neck will hold up, even though its in pretty good condition. I can post pics of my progress if you guys wanna see it.
My Gear
Marshall JCM 900 4500
Vox DA5
I hope you didn't sand through to the burst. If you scuff sand just to remove the gloss, you can paint on top of the burst so it'll be similar to the old school Strats that had a burst underneath the soild color. There are pics where the solid color has worn out and you can see the burst underneath. Pretty cool.

Heres what i've done so far, I used 60 grade sandpaper to get the majority of the back and front done. Now im working on whatevers still covered then i'll move to 180 grade. This is the first time i've ever done something like this so any suggestions are appreciated.

My Gear
Marshall JCM 900 4500
Vox DA5
i wish it would be either sunburst or natural.
My Blog
New bands you wish you knew about!

Check This Band:As Blood Runs Black
Guitarist of the month: Quorthon

Got a good band that you want to share with the world? PM me and I'll write them a review.
leave it natural now that you ruined the beautiful burst(joking) and paint some cool designs on it *cough*monterey pop style*cough*
Quote by asfastasdark
+1. This man knows his ****.

Walker Rose.
I'm planning on leaving tne natural color but do I just stain it all after its all sanded?
My Gear
Marshall JCM 900 4500
Vox DA5
You can get a pre-wired HH strat pickguard with pots, pickup selecter, cap, everything already wired for like $30ish at guitarfetish.com. If you don't like the pickups it comes with, you can buy new ones from guitarfetish for like $30ea, or get two for $30 from the clearance section.