I recently bought a vox ad50vt. I was looking for a good amp for quite a while and this one seemed to be getting alot of good reviews and such. I tried it out in the store a few times and really liked it so i bought it. iv had it for a few months now and its really starting to bug me. it just doesent sound good im playing an Ibanez rgt42 through it. Idk if that makes a difference....any who any sudgestions? i have about 400 bucks and i want to know if i can invest any of that money in a pedal or sumthin to give it more of a kick........mabey a new amp altogather??
go to valvetronix.net and check the jukebox for some settings to try. You should be able to get pretty close to the tone(s) you're looking for

plus, you could add a decent extension cabinet that might help as well.
Sell it and buy a half stack, Much more worth it for the future.
Originally posted by J_Dizzle
THAAAANK YOU GoodCharloteSux is god
well, it could be that the tubes are dying.

it could also be that the style in which you are playing isnt suited with with Vox (metal on vox isnt that great, country on roland cube not that great vox with country and cube with metal is good.)
Quote by thetoastinator
I would suggest you trading in the amp to get some more money, and add the $400 to it, and get a nice tube amp.

agreed.
Gibson SG Standard + 18volt EMG-81 & 85
Mesa/Boogie Mark IV + Recto 2x12
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
its kinda cackely....and yeah i do play metal and hard rock..but i also roll out the blues and gritty rock n roll wich its great for...i just want somthing that can knock it into high gear when i want to play some metal
hey
sell that vox and take the money and go buy a marshall halfstack
they have one at musiciansfriend....$599
Or you could go to keeley mods and look at his modded distortion pedals. I'm thinking of getting a modded metal zone to help my JCM 800.

And watch the cheap half stacks.
the lesser known of the 4
Can;t you try running a few pedals through it? No amp is really going to have everything inbuilt if you play such a varied style.
God knows I don't want to be an angel

PSN ID: MattIgoe
Wii ID: 7810 3870 3554 5359
Gamertag: MattIgoe
Quote by TDKshorty
hey

NO!!! Thats an MG, and their a lot worse than the Valvetronix is.
Quote by TDKshorty
hey

No, the amp you're referring to is an MG100HDFX half stack, a major rip off, and he might as well wipe his arse with the money rather than spend on that the amount of good that amp would do him.

And threadstarter, the only reasons i can imagine it being crackly are the fact that it's not a full tube amp and it's being cranked (in which you'd lose sound quality, as opposed to a full tube amp, where if you crank it, the overall sound would vastly improve) or the input jack could be a bit dodgy, apparatnly valvetronix's generally have that problem.
Funny words.
I love the RGT42, but I despise its pickups. I know a few friends who have them, and they've ALL swapped pickups. The latest was a friend who bought his RGT42 a little over a year ago. We tried it through his JCM 800, my 5150, my El Diablo, and my Guitar Port. We haven't found a tone he liked out of any of those. A while back, he got me to swap the pickups for EMG 81 / 85 set he had in another guitar. The thing WAILS now.

Personally, I don't think the pickups are bad. I think they're just seriously mismatched to the mahogany / walnut construction. They tend to produce a muffled, muddy sound. Every one of these guitars I've heard with different pickups have screamed..

Quote by Jeff Manthei
well, it could be that the tubes are dying.

It has one 12AX7 tube between the pre and power amps. For how it's used (low voltage), that tube should almost last as long as the amp will.

Quote by TDKshorty
hey

Hahahaha!! Recommending an MG half stack over a Vox amp. Now that's a laugh right there. Better put on the flame-retardant clothing.... This suggestion definately belongs in the "Whats the dumbest thing a guitarist has told you?" thread. Dude, the MG is one of the worse amps ever made. If you don't know what you're talking about, don't give advice.

EDIT: Forgot to mention... I installed the Ibanez pickups from his RGT42 intot he guitar I removed the EMgs out of. The body is alder and the pickups sound excellent. In my experience, pickups that sound good in one of those woods more often than not sound bad in the other
Guitars: Custom Lado Earth 2000-3, Custom ESP Explorer, BC Rich KKV, Gibson LP Studio, Greco SG, El Degas Stratocaster, Agile AL-3000, LTD EX-351

Rig:Marshall JVM410H + Marshall 1960A, Boss Noise Suppressor
Last edited by Crunchmeister at Feb 2, 2007,
i have a vox adt30vt and i wouldnt trade it for anything, its a great amp

actually id probably trade it for an adt100vt