Right, I've got a standard Fender P-Bass, and I was thinking of upgrading some parts to it slightly.

Now, what pickups would you more experienced musicians recommend to get a more punchy tone? I like slapping, and the standard pick ups don't really give me enough pop, so I wanted to increase that.
I also like having a smooth tone though, so I don't have to be really harsh on the ears.

I like playing all kinds of different genres, from Metal, to Ambient, to Chillout, to Funk to just Alternative Rock.

So what Pups would suit me well?

Also, would you recommend upgrading to a BadAss2?
In the bass chat:

<Jon> take the quote of me out your sig plx
<Jon> i hate seeing what i said around lol

Leader of the Bass Militia PM to join!

And now on BANDCAMP!

Officially the funniest member of the Bass Forum.
Last edited by Nutter_101 at Feb 2, 2007,
dude, it's alliteration, noy illiteration (to be more specific you're making a plosive sound). sorry, not sure about the pickups though
Quote by Darth_Qurashi
I remember the first time someone sigged me. IT felt great. I was like wow... people actually think i'm funny. See here on the real world it doesn't work like that.
A frogs' perspective on life: time's fun when you're having flies.
Damn! I thought I was wrong as soon as I clicked post... Idiot.

Ah well, you know what I meant.
In the bass chat:

And now on BANDCAMP!

I wouldn't recommend getting a BA2 because you have to file the saddles, so it would have to be taken to a luthier. Check some Gotoh/Hipshot bridges instead.

I'd also recommend getting Seymour Duncan SPB-3s (Quarter Pound) pickups. A new pickguard could spice up your P as well
Yeah as far as a new pickguard was concerned I was looking into getting a Tortoiseshell one to match the off-white colour of the rest of it.

So as far as the Hipshots are concerned, would you recommend the A Style or B Style?
In the bass chat:

And now on BANDCAMP!

Definitely go with the BadAss II and the Seymour Duncan Quarter Pounders. I would recommend a Q-parts pickguard, but it doesn't look like they make P-bass pickguards.
So wait, I'm confused. Can I use a BadAss II? I thought I could get a pre-routed one or something? I'm pretty new to modding in general...

And does anyone know where I could get any of this equipment living in the UK? Any good sites?
In the bass chat:

And now on BANDCAMP!

Quote by pogostick
dude, it's alliteration, noy illiteration (to be more specific you're making a plosive sound). sorry, not sure about the pickups though

Alright captain smartass, it's "not" not "noy".
Quote by Nutter_101
So wait, I'm confused. Can I use a BadAss II? I thought I could get a pre-routed one or something? I'm pretty new to modding in general...

It's a standard Fender, right? The BadAss II should fit right where the old Fender bridge was.

I was pretty sure you could get them pre-filed, too.
They don't come filed so you can file them to your string gauge liking so it's actually a good thing they don't come filed.

Yes we all hail the quarter pounder as a kickass upgrade (which it is of course) but I'm going to suggest fralin instead, vintage tone eat your heart out.

http://www.bestbassgear.com/lindy-fralin-pickups.htm
So anyone know of any good UK sites for all this stuff?
In the bass chat:

And now on BANDCAMP!

badass bass bridge II, go for it, it can be easy to sort the saddles out. I found it made a noticable difference.
Seymour Duncans SPB-3, although i had a look a some dimarzio will powers.

Another mod u might want to consider is new machine heads, i found that when i upgraded mine they were loads better, retained the tuning much better. I recommend Hipshots on that, and if your gettin new machineheads get a d-tuner, great device.

There are loads, just google em. The main ones i use are www.guitarpartsrecource.com (its american but they deliver worldwide, u get it cheap and quickly), axesrus.co.uk, ebay (but be careful), there are loads out there
you should look into EMG's as well
Gear: 08 Fender MIA Jazz bass,
American Peavey Millenium Plus 4,
GK 1001RBII,
Mesa/Boogie RR215,
Schecter C-1 Classic.
IMO a BAII is a must because the stock bridge sucks, then like everyone else said look into the Seymour Duncan QP's or maybe a DiMarzio, i like the sound the split-p gives.
Quote by Bumper
Looks like you had a big bowl of Downs Syndrome for breakfast.

Member of the Bass Militia, PM Nutter_101 to join

Lover of Ashdown? Join the Ashdown Army!
i recomend the EMG P pickup, put a EMG EQ on it and get a cool pickguard and a Leo QUan Badass bridge
ESP B-405,Fender American Jazz Bass(EMG J active pups and LEO QUAN BADASS II ) squire P bass(EMG P active Pups)),
SansAmp Bass driver DI
Ampeg SvP PRO Tube Preamp
QSC2450 Power amp
Furman PL8
FINALLY-Ampeg SVT 810E
I thought I'd just repost here rather than open an entirely new thread, so here's my question...

What are the DiMarzio Split P's like? From reading up about them, they seem like the sorta pickup I want... Any bad points about them?
In the bass chat:

And now on BANDCAMP!

Quote by Nutter_101
I thought I'd just repost here rather than open an entirely new thread, so here's my question...

What are the DiMarzio Split P's like? From reading up about them, they seem like the sorta pickup I want... Any bad points about them?

I've heard nothing but good stuff about them
Quote by Bumper
Looks like you had a big bowl of Downs Syndrome for breakfast.

Member of the Bass Militia, PM Nutter_101 to join

Lover of Ashdown? Join the Ashdown Army!
Right, so a little update on what I'm doing.

I've bought the DiMarzio Split P's, hopefully will be here soon, with some new pot's as I added an S-1 switch with removed all tonal change from the pot...

And now I realise that I should probably get some new strings. My Fender still has the stock strings on it, which are .45 - .100, and I can get some .45 - .105. Would it be difficult to put these on the bass?

Would I just need to file the nut a bit?

Thanks.
In the bass chat:

And now on BANDCAMP!

Quote by Nutter_101
Right, I've got a standard Fender P-Bass, and I was thinking of upgrading some parts to it slightly.

Now, what pickups would you more experienced musicians recommend to get a more punchy tone? I like slapping, and the standard pick ups don't really give me enough pop, so I wanted to increase that.
I also like having a smooth tone though, so I don't have to be really harsh on the ears.

I like playing all kinds of different genres, from Metal, to Ambient, to Chillout, to Funk to just Alternative Rock.

So what Pups would suit me well?

Also, would you recommend upgrading to a BadAss2?

I wouldn't get the Quarter Pound pickups if I were you, I'd get maybe the DiMarzio Split P's (yeah, I looked 'em up, they look awesome). The Quarter Pound has a really trebly (<---not a word), clear, short tone (don't know how to describe) that wouldn't suit all of your genres.

You should look into the EMG Active pickups too. And yeah, you should get the BadAss II Bridge if you want sustain.