I've recently been playing a lot of john mayer so of course I've been using the jimi hendrix barre chord technique. I'm having alot of trouble with it though because my thumb just doesn't like to stretch across. I have to put a lot of muscle and strain in just the get that 6th down. I know my hand loosened up over time and I can now make stretches across the fretboard that I couldn't make before. So my question is will my thumb do the same thing? Or is this just a skill that some people can do and others can't because of the structure of their hand?
Your question is confusing. You say its hard to use your thumb, but you ask if its okay to use your thumb?
FOR AWESOME HANDWOUND PICKUPS, CONTACT CorduroyEW
BOOBS
Quote by ratmblink123
Good for you. Have a cookie.

But really... there's no cookie. And if there was, you wouldn't get one.
well if you have relatively long fingers compared to other people that you know then you can probably do it, but if you have trouble doing it then just don't. fret it normally theres no point trying to do it that way 'cause you either can or can't you can't exercise this sort of thing.
Fender American Deluxe Ash Stratocaster (2000)
Fender Classic Player 60's Stratocaster
Marshall JCM900 100w head & 4x12 cab

Korg DT-10 Tuner; Boss DD-3 Digital Delay; Jim Dunlop JH-1B Wah; Boss RT-20 Rotary Ensemble; MXR EVH Phase 90.
the reason he did it was because his hands were huge, and it was more economical for him to do it that way. doing that when you have small hands defeats the purpose. just play the note with your fingers
Quote by CORT noob
Your question is confusing. You say its hard to use your thumb, but you ask if its okay to use your thumb?

it's not that confusing. he's asking if his thumb will eventually stretch out and get used to being used in barre chords if he wants to form them that way. and i'd probably say yes.
Quote by vantage4
it's not that confusing. he's asking if his thumb will eventually stretch out and get used to being used in barre chords if he wants to form them that way. and i'd probably say yes.

Ooooooh, I just use my index finger, it hurts at first but you get used to it. I took a glove and cut off all the fingers except the index, and cut the very tip off the index, and used that to help ease the pain until I got used to it.
FOR AWESOME HANDWOUND PICKUPS, CONTACT CorduroyEW
BOOBS
Quote by ratmblink123
Good for you. Have a cookie.

But really... there's no cookie. And if there was, you wouldn't get one.
I fret it normally as often as I can but certain songs like "heart of life" you have to be able to use a hendrix bar to play it.
I do have have pretty big hands so size isn't an issue, they just won't stretch.
I'm just wondering if they will eventually stretch out or not.
i don't know that your thumb will really "stretch" any, but as with anything, playing barre chords like this will get easier with practice. and of course, having bigger hands helps ALOT! mayer has really big hands.