I was watching that video lesson they have on comcast on demand, the one that i believe is lead basics ii. It teaches major and minor scale. Well I have two issues with what they taught, not because they are wrong but I either cant find the same thing anywhere else or I just dont understand it.

They teach the major scale as:

e|------------------------------------------------------------------------7---9---10--------------
B|----------------------------------------------------------7---9---10----------------------------
G|---------------------------------------------6---7---9-------------------------------------------
D|---------------------------------6---7---9-------------------------------------------------------
A|--------------------5---7---9--------------------------------------------------------------------
E|-------5---7---9---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Issue #1: From my understanding of scales, the 1st note defines what the scale is. The root note. They said this was in the key of C. If I were to come across this and someone told me this was a major scale I would say its an A major. So I dont understand why its a C scale.

Issue #2: I cant find this scale anywhere. All I seem to find major scale wise is something much smaller or something that uses way more of the neck than this. Is this a certain kind of major scale?

I didnt really get into the minor scale too much cuz I was too into trying to figure the major scale out, so I might have questions about that one later on too. But can anyone clear this up for me?
Elitists and Hypocrites
Well in response to your first issue, you would normally be right if the root note was not specified. Check the video again and make sure it didn't specify a root note.

EDIT:
That's odd. I took a closer look at it just now (didn't really check it before) and there's no actual C anywhere in the scale. That actually IS an A major scale. Turns out you're right. Maybe you got a crap video.
Last edited by xxieatbabiesxxx at Feb 2, 2007,
Issue #1: From my understanding of scales, the 1st note defines what the scale is. The root note. They said this was in the key of C. If I were to come across this and someone told me this was a major scale I would say its an A major. So I dont understand why its a C scale.

ANSWER - You are correct, this is A major, look at it and its easy to tell b/c of the interval listing... A, B,C#,D,E,F#,G#, the guy on tv may have not clarified that what he was playing was A major. Was he perhaps pointing out that C major has no Sharps or flats?

Issue #2: I cant find this scale anywhere. All I seem to find major scale wise is something much smaller or something that uses way more of the neck than this. Is this a certain kind of major scale?

ANSWER - nope this is your normal 7 tone major scale. you may be finding patterns for the major pentatonic which contains only 5 tones instead of 7 (omit the semitones/half step intervals to get major pentatonic.... in A major pentatonic it would looks like

A,B,C#,E,F#
hmmmmmm A major scale it is - not to be confused with a C major scale which would start on the 8 fret 6th string(E). But as far as the scale pattern goes yes it is correct its just another way of playing being A,B,C#,D,E,F#,G#,A ---- the part being confusing here for you is the placement of the C# (4th fret,5th string as well as 9th fret,6th string) and the F#(4th fret,4th string as well as 9th fret,5th string) ---- hope that helps
Last edited by dfnsman27 at Feb 2, 2007,