Mainly this is for my guitar project but its only havin 1 pickup and I was thinkin an EMG, which would be the best? I'd be playing alot of heavy shit like hatebreed, mastodon, killsdwitch engage, fear factory etc...
Blah Blah Blah
EMG 81. Its their most powerful pickup. Its got a very smooth sound on it too. Or if you want more chunk, maybe the 85.
Which would be best for lots of heavy palm muting rhythm style shit
Blah Blah Blah
Quote by kurdtkobaign
EMG 81. Its their most powerful pickup. Its got a very smooth sound on it too. Or if you want more chunk, maybe the 85.

I agree with Kurdt... He knows his stuff

I don't know about the differences between EMGs... But the sound is fookin awesome... Obviously....
For that stuff, the 85 probably. If youre going to be doing more lead work or intricate stuff I would go with the 81. Both are extremely powerful.

edit- Thank you Untitled001.
Hmm I might go with the 81 I do play abit of lead now and then but if it's also very powerful it may suit my needs thanks dude
Blah Blah Blah
Quote by kurdtkobaign
For that stuff, the 85 probably. If youre going to be doing more lead work or intricate stuff I would go with the 81. Both are extremely powerful.

edit- Thank you Untitled001.

Heh ^^

No problem
My mate just told me his dads sellin an emg 81 that he used quite a long time ago that he might sell to me, is it worth buyin a used one? considering its only for a guitar project. It comes with all the stuff spring, battery connectors for £40
Blah Blah Blah
Thats a very good price. Just make sure it comes with everything a new one would...ya kinda need all that stuff lol.

EMG's website has clips of all their pickups too if you wanna check em out.
sick stuff man I might go for it, he now says its a vintage emg 81 humbucker from the 80's? lol
Blah Blah Blah
Would wiring an EMG be the same as an ordinary humbucker?
Blah Blah Blah
Quote by dopamine
Would wiring an EMG be the same as an ordinary humbucker?

No, plus you have to change the pots
Quote by Spl!nTeRgu!tAr
im getting the C-1 Hellraiser Baritone and replacing the EMG 81 with my Zakk Wylde EMG 81

****in great dude
it comes with everything it orginally came with, the pots wires, battery cable
Blah Blah Blah
what guitar are you using, and what wood?

i hated the emg 81 in the bridge of my M-II (alder body, maple neckthru). i kinda sounded too bright and shrill. So i swapped it with an 85 and it made a whole lotta difference. Has more chunk and thickness to the tone.

81 works well for dark sounding guitar though, used to have a LTD H-300 (mahogany body, mahogany neckthru) and balances out the tone good.
Peavey 5150, LTD EX400BD, tubescreamer, and a whole lotta fingers
Quote by joining_heads
No, plus you have to change the pots

I was aware of this but why is that?
Quote by ~Andrea-Angel~

i hated the emg 81 in the bridge of my M-II (alder body, maple neckthru). i kinda sounded too bright and shrill. So i swapped it with an 85 and it made a whole lotta difference. Has more chunk and thickness to the tone.

81 works well for dark sounding guitar though, used to have a LTD H-300 (mahogany body, mahogany neckthru) and balances out the tone good.

I'll be using it in a guitar project, I dont have a clue what wood it is but it needs a new pickup for sure so I thought why not put something good into it? but if not I'lll whack it into my les paul lol...
Blah Blah Blah
EMG's will sound awesome in mahogany but very bright and trebly in alder and some other woods.

81 definately
~ My Gear ~

Gibson Les Paul Studio in Alpine White with EMG 81/60
Fender Stratocaster
Marshall DSL401
Boss Metal Zone MT-2
Boss Super Overdrive SD-1
Boss Noise Suppressor NS-2
Digitech RP80
Samson Wireless
Fender Champions Series 30
I'd get either an EMG 81 or a 85 depending on the wood.
CLICK ME!

Gibson Les Paul Classic '05
JEH Custom Superstrat '07
Rickenbacker 480 '73
Marshall 6100LM head '95
Engl E412SS 4*12" cab '02
Line6 DL-4 '07
Ibanez TS9 '08
Dunlop Crybaby from hell '07
Boss CE-2 '79
Quote by lil-matee
what is a solo?
bah whats wood got do with it =[ didnt know it would afect the sound
Blah Blah Blah
Quote by dopamine
bah whats wood got do with it =[ didnt know it would afect the sound

Well it does. EMG 81 sounds best on mahogany.
CLICK ME!

Rickenbacker 480 '73
Marshall 6100LM head '95
Line6 DL-4 '07
Ibanez TS9 '08
Boss CE-2 '79
Quote by lil-matee
what is a solo?
I own a Peavey Wolfgang (evh) and I'm pretty sure it's maple. Would it be better for me to get an 81 or 85 or both with the ZK Combo??
I wouldn't use EMG 81 on maple at all. I'd use 85/60 being the 85 in bridge pos. and the 60 in neck pos. An EM 81 would be way too trebly and nasty.
CLICK ME!

Rickenbacker 480 '73
Marshall 6100LM head '95
Line6 DL-4 '07
Ibanez TS9 '08
Boss CE-2 '79
Quote by lil-matee
what is a solo?
I think the wood used in my gutiar project is maple...i think :/
Blah Blah Blah
Quote by ~Andrea-Angel~

81/85 combo in a mahogony guitar = rape.
i didnt really like the 85 in the neck too, it was too bassy
Peavey 5150, LTD EX400BD, tubescreamer, and a whole lotta fingers
I prefer EMG 85 if you have to go with one of theirs, got more life to it than the 81 wich is too compressed for me.

Quote by The way to hate
81/85 combo in a mahogony guitar = rape.

not if you put the 85 in the bridge, sounds wonderfull. got it right here, nice warm. 81 is bloody annoying though.
Wise Man Says: The guitar is obviously female, she's got hips, breasts... and a hole.
UG's Flamenco Club
Quote by dopamine
My mate just told me his dads sellin an emg 81 that he used quite a long time ago that he might sell to me, is it worth buyin a used one? considering its only for a guitar project. It comes with all the stuff spring, battery connectors for £40

that a nice price, some emg sets are around $200