Ok. I play stuff like Metallica and Tool.

I'm going to buy used, (around $500 CDN) so Probably about $800-1000ish MAX new.

I am going try to rent all or most of the amps I get suggested (I am more comfortable renting- I don't think you can truly test an amp at a music store- partly because I don't have a lot of time to hang around at a music store, and at my own house, I can crank up the volume, and spend some time with it.)

My list so far (from what I've been recommended)

-Peavey 5150/ 6505 212
-Peavey Transtube StudioPro 112
-Peavey Bandit 112
-Marshall JCM900 (<-- This is if I'm REALLY LUCKY- It's kinda pricy)
(If you know of anything wrong with any of these, please let me know)

I've also heard mixed things about the Roland Cube 60. (I never got to try it yet). I heard it was a good amp, but I also heard it was a practice amp. I want to get something that'll last for a long time. I have a Gibson Les Paul, which'll last me pretty much forever, so I want an amp to do the same.

Thanks for all the help!
The Peavey 5150/6505 is in a whole other class than the StudioPros and the Bandits and the Cubes.

Peavey 5150 hands down by far.
The 5150 is a good amp. The 900 will also do those tones great and it has the best cleans out of the the two.

You can get a JMC900 off ebay for next to nothing...like 500 dollars US for a head.
Quote by deg0ey
The best pickups for emo are no pickups at all...

Gear:

1996 Les Paul Classic w/ Alnico II's
Marshall Jubilee 2550
Vox V847 Wah
Assorted pedals
Alright. For some reason, Long and McQuade (at least around my area) doesn't carry Peavey amps, so it'll be pretty hard to be able to try one. JCM's I might be able to, so I'll look into that for sure.

Are there any other amps out there that I should try?
Quote by sharpshot
Alright. For some reason, Long and McQuade (at least around my area) doesn't carry Peavey amps, so it'll be pretty hard to be able to try one. JCM's I might be able to, so I'll look into that for sure.

Are there any other amps out there that I should try?

You might try looking into the higher end of Crate amps. They make some really cheep stuff, but they also make some really nice stuff, like the Blue Voodo series [might be outta our price range]. Some modern bands use Crate Half Stacks in the studio, so if they like the sound, Im sure it's got to atleast be decent sounding.
[One band I know for sure uses Crate is Taproot, dont know if you listen to them, im a fan]
the 5150 would be a great choice if you can find one, keep an eye out for older peavey ultra and triumph tube amps, they have tons of gain, sound great and are dirt cheap, key word being TUBE.
5150's have LIFELESS cleans. and really the distortion isnt very versatile. only get a 5150/6505 if you play metal, and thats it. i think that the JCM900 would be the better way to go. put an OD pedal in front of it and get the good metallica distortion.
1993 Jackson Dinky Professional XL (shred)
Modified Squier Strat (blues and anything)
Vox Valvetronix AD30VT
Boss DS-1 Distortion
Dunlop Original Crybaby GCB-95
Quote by voxdude26
5150's have LIFELESS cleans. and really the distortion isnt very versatile. only get a 5150/6505 if you play metal, and thats it. i think that the JCM900 would be the better way to go. put an OD pedal in front of it and get the good metallica distortion.

Then why did EVH ever use them?
RIP Jasmine You.

Lieutenant of the 7-string/ERG Legion

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
Quote by voxdude26

I strongly disagree with this statement
Board:
Pitchblack - Fulltone Octafuzz - Hardwire OD - Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina - MXR Micro Chorus - Diamond Memory Lane Jr - EHX SMMH - Neunaber Wet
Quote by voxdude26

Dude, Metallica used Mesa/Boogies. Your whole post is basically wrong.
no
well what i said about the 5150/6505 is only an opinion. and yeah i know metallica used mesa's but of all the amps listed JCM900 would be the best. they did use marshalls in their early stage.
1993 Jackson Dinky Professional XL (shred)
Modified Squier Strat (blues and anything)
Vox Valvetronix AD30VT
Boss DS-1 Distortion
Dunlop Original Crybaby GCB-95
Jcm 900's aren't expensive at all! (if you're getting it used)

Ebay ftw?
Co-Founder of the Orange Revolution Club

-Esp/Ltd Ec-1000 w/ BKP Mules
-2-channel Titan
-Oversized Bogner 2x12 Cabinet
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-T.C. Electronic Nova Delay
-Larrivee D-03R
I recommend the Carvin MTS3212. It is a 212 tube amp which sounds really good, but it might be slightly higher than what you want to pay. Then again, buying used is cheap.

Or if you can find a used Carvin Legacy, you cant go wrong with them. Best clean channel you will ever hear, and the distortion is great.