First post please bare with me.

This is a difficult to phrase story/question.

While discussing Gibson guitars, a coworker and myself both agreed that the SG is equal to the Les Paul in rock history, and represents a superior dollar-for-dollar value for the praticing/performing musician.

Collectability and value of, are issues seperate from that.

We then discussed recognizable names. At one point the Iommi vs Zappa issue came up.

He said Zappa sold more records than Sabbath, and more people in his age group (30's) knew whom Zappa was, if fact stated that very few in that group could identify Iommi.

I found this hard to digest, as Sabbath produced an award winning Platnum record (Reunion) within the last decade.

The popularity of OZZFEST, which did have a original Black Sabbath line-up at times.

And I suspect "Paranoid" and "Master of Reality," sold as much, if not more than the entire Zappa collection.

Please note; This is just a popularity/public recognition debate.

It is not about ability.

Nor is my intent to cast any shadow on the incredable Frank Zappa.

Later

IKO
I would agree that more people would know Sabbath, knowing Tony's name on the other hand I'm not quite sure. I mean any decent guitarist should know his name, but the general public I'm not certian.

In my experience not many people know Zappa at all and it's a terrible shame, but at least I know who he is.

But really this should probably go in the Classic Rock Forum, or maybe The Pit. So you should move it
apparently UG's only type O-

Quote by Strike9

Thanks jb_designs.
So basically, Iommi vs Zappa thread...

tbh no one here is in any position to debate it properly as none of us have the facility to conduct a properly sampled survey
I don't really know what your question is, but...

I have heard OF Zappa, but never heard any Zappa.

I think Iommi is hyped more in certain forums because of the metal genre.

Where do we put Angus Young then?

I am Australian and ACDC is proudly Australian, and I strongly identify with Angus Young. I have two SG's.

Until someone shows me otherwise they will be Young, Iommi, Zappa: 1,2,3.
Quote by Kenkthulhu

I am Australian and ACDC is proudly Australian, and I strongly identify with Angus Young. I have two SG's.

You should really look into Zappa "Apostophe / Overnite Sensation" is a hell of an album. He's an amazing guitarist. He tought Steve Vai a lot.
apparently UG's only type O-

Quote by Strike9

Thanks jb_designs.
More people know Black Sabbath for sure; Tony Iommi, not so much.
Quote by dudetheman
So what? I wasted like 5 minutes watching DaddyTwoFoot's avatar.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.
You're right. Be more than happy to move this over.

But, I think its the moderators who do that.

This was not a debate about who is better.

Just a recognition thing.

IMHO: All of Zappa's stuff features unbelieveable playing.

Angus was mentioned in the conversation. Yeah he is a safe wager for the widest known.

As was Clapton(Cream years), Page (the DBL neck, and standard models), Townsend, and Mick Box.

But, the two mentioned were the point of discussion.

IKO.
Last edited by IKOH2OH at Feb 2, 2007,
And mclaughlin played SG doublenecks in MO, even if they weren't gibsons (they were custom made)
Quote by Nick_
And mclaughlin played SG doublenecks in MO, even if they weren't gibsons (they were custom made)

Who?
R E G G A E
Hetfield has been known to use some
My Gear:
ESP LTD EC-1000 SW
ESP LTD EC 500 STBC
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Dean Razorback Two Tone
Ibanez 7 string
Randall RH150G3 Head and Cab
Quote by Kenkthulhu

ac/dc were from scotland
Quote by Sirnogbert
...Damn you.
Quote by niguitars.com
ac/dc were from scotland

I'll just assume you're joking. Good one.
(Slightly outdated) Electronic and classical compositions by m'self: Check 'em out
Quote by niguitars.com
ac/dc were from scotland

No. The band is very proudly Australian. Bon Scott was born in Scotland, but his family moved to Australia when he was young (6 or somewhere around there). Brian Johnson is English, but his involvement in an already well-established band wouldn't suddenly change their "nationality," so to speak.
Quote by dudetheman

I think if you showed people in a test where you didn't name names a picture of Iommi and a picture of Zappa, Zappa would look more familiar to them because to me, he has a distinctive look to him.

or

?
eric clapton and pete townshend played SG's sometime of their career too. =]
but i like tony iommi over zappa
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Quote by Kenkthulhu

As much as i hate Angus Young and ACDC i would probably have to agree with you.....

As for Zappa, Zappa composed alot of classical and avante guarde albums. I think he has about 90 different albums or soo, Black Sabbath had around 10 i think..... Maybe thats where some of those figures came from
Frank Zappa's not dead. He just smells funny.
Quote by jb_designs
You should really look into Zappa "Apostophe / Overnite Sensation" is a hell of an album. He's an amazing guitarist. He tought Steve Vai a lot.

An amazing musician and composer

"Hot Rats" is probably my favourite Zappa album
Zappa>Iommi, anyday. Better composer, writer, guitar...everything.

Hey guys! I just started playing electric guitar should I get a Gabson Lay Pall or a Femdor Startokaster. I like the picks on the gabsons but i like how sweet femdors look. Beforre i get a gabson what company makes them?
ACDC: Take a look at the Back in Black doubledisk DVD mini-movie - the making of the album. Short but sweet as.

You've got me interested now. Can anyone give me a definitive Zappa song that I could listen to?
Quote by Kenkthulhu
ACDC: Take a look at the Back in Black doubledisk DVD mini-movie - the making of the album. Short but sweet as.

You've got me interested now. Can anyone give me a definitive Zappa song that I could listen to?

No such thing, he was way too diverse.

But try out:
My Guitar Wants to Kill Your Mama
Don't Eat the Yellow Snow
his reggae version of Stairway to Heaven
Valley Girl (his biggest single)

He really was an amazing composer, and a fantastic guitarist. The fact that he would only use the best of the best of the best for his backing band (including a young Steve Vai) helped, too.
Quote by dudetheman

Well just a little tid pit Andrew Stockdale(WolfMother) plays an SG and is also from aus. But around here no one knows Zappa besides me my friend Grant and Mike, great guy I think more people would know Zappa if they saw him. The reason I dont think Tony and the other guys of Sabbath dont really get noticed enough much because Ozzy is so crazy.
www.myspace.com/thestalkingbutlers

Holy Knight of the Crusading Order of the Stratocaster.

Gear:
MIA Fender Stratocaster
MIA Fender Telecaster
MI? Fender TC-90

Fender Hot Rod Deville
Blackstar HT5, HT40

various pedals
Last edited by Sound_Garden_X at Feb 4, 2007,
Quote by DaddyTwoFoot
No such thing, he was way too diverse.

But try out:
My Guitar Wants to Kill Your Mama
Don't Eat the Yellow Snow
his reggae version of Stairway to Heaven
Valley Girl (his biggest single)

He really was an amazing composer, and a fantastic guitarist. The fact that he would only use the best of the best of the best for his backing band (including a young Steve Vai) helped, too.

For his composing skills listen to "Peaches En Regalia" or anything off the Hot Rats album..... Amazing.....
A great solo from zappa is Muffin Man
One of the guys in Maiden use an SG from time to time....
member #7 of the "i remember when pokemon used to be cool" club.
Pm rhcp_freak or Tanglewoodguit to join.

Quote by tronsbassplayer
you no your a bassplayer when you Llsten to the best muslc NUMETAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I lol'ed SOOOOO hard at that one!!!