Hey guys, my friend has had a longtime interest in learning guitar and i have agreed to teach him the basics,but he dosen't have a guitar or amp. it's gonna be an electric, and he has about $530 or so to spend on guitar and amp together. I was thinking something like a standard strat because of the versatility, or maybe a telecaster. he has similar music tastes to me, classic rock ,lots of floyd, GNR he especially likes, so recomend a beginner guitar. also, an amp. he dosen't need much , 5-15 watts would be plenty.
~gtrfrk

founder of the dunlop pick fan club

RIP Roger "Syd" Barrett

"Let the good times roll"
you could get an epiphone SG or LP... they're versatile and not outrageously priced... he'll have enough left over to get a decent amp
My League of Legends stream
The morning will come
In the press of every kiss
With your head upon my chest

Where I will annoy you
With every waking breath
Until you, decide to wake up
vox ad60 and a mexican strat....

should be close to budget, but honestly the 60 is a lot better, with a switch to knock it down to 30....should be perfect for CR
Quote by thundrstruk891
do EXACTLY what rock savior said.

EXACTLY.

Quote by SGKIDD
^^ X2,00,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000

To me

Member of the 'Guitarists Born In 1991' Club. PM greendayguitar or blues_rocker to join.
for an amp a epi valve junior combo would be good for classic rock stuff
My Gear:
Shecter C-1+
Hohener Acoustic
Sound Gear sg305dx Bass
Homemade 2x12 Cabinet loaded with Eminence
Texas Heat Speakers
Epi Valve Junior Head
and as soon as it ships
from Musiciansfriend a EH Metal Muff
yeah, i'll defanately look at epi's ,but he wants a whammy bar too.
~gtrfrk

RIP Roger "Syd" Barrett

Slash uses an ibanez, and I hear that they are pretty versatile.
FOR AWESOME HANDWOUND PICKUPS, CONTACT CorduroyEW
BOOBS
Quote by ratmblink123
Good for you. Have a cookie.

But really... there's no cookie. And if there was, you wouldn't get one.
tell him to get a epiphone players pack, its wat i got first. it has either a epiphone sg or lp, a 10 watt amp, tuner, picks, gig bag, and a dvd, and i think its like 350$ or sumthing
valve junior wouldn't really be a good choice for a first amp on a 200-300 dollar budget. Factor in a good OD and an EQ and ur at ur budget without a cab.

Thats just my opinion, and I'd go Fender if I were you...many CR guitarists used the strat, and a bucker in the bridge will give oyu more versatility.
Quote by thundrstruk891
do EXACTLY what rock savior said.

EXACTLY.

Quote by SGKIDD
^^ X2,00,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000

To me

Member of the 'Guitarists Born In 1991' Club. PM greendayguitar or blues_rocker to join.
If he wants a whammy bar, don't get a strat because using the bar will detune it. Get an Ibanez with a locking trem. Maybe a Jackson with a liscensed Floy Rose. I know Jacksons are for metal, but mine has a nice clean tone, as well as a good distortion tone.
I think these 2 choices would be good

Epi standard plain top and epi valve jr combo or vox ad15vt

Fender standard strat and epi valve jr combo or vox ad15vt

that should be a great begining set up for anyone and sure will last a long time
GEAR:
Gibson Faded V (Dimarzio EVO(B) and GFS Hot Liverpool(N) coiltap in neck)
Squier Mahogany HSS Strat
Squier BSB tele
Bogner 2X12
Vox AD50VT
EPI VJ head
I have a variety of pedals PM if you have to know.

Looking for a new head!
Also if he goes with the Vox AD series, he has a chance to learn a bit about amps and effects, with the different models and some effects to try out
Epiphone Goth Les Paul Studio
Ibanez SA120
Peavey Raptor EXP
Takamine Electric Acoustic
Boss CS-3
Boss DD-6
Boss TU-2
Boss MT-2 (For use with my Vox)
MXR M-108 10-Band Eq
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Peavey JSX Head
Vox AD50VT
If he wants a whammy bar, don't get a strat because using the bar will detune it. Get an Ibanez with a locking trem. Maybe a Jackson with a liscensed Floy Rose. I know Jacksons are for metal, but mine has a nice clean tone, as well as a good distortion tone.

I'd say sod the whammy bar - you aren't going to get anything with a decent floyd that cheap, and a floating bridge is a nightmare for a beginner. You could get a Strat, but I'm guessing if he wants a trem he's hoping to do some divebombing and stuff. A floyd can wait, they're nothing but trouble for someone who's just starting.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by powerchordjunki
tell him to get a epiphone players pack, its wat i got first. it has either a epiphone sg or lp, a 10 watt amp, tuner, picks, gig bag, and a dvd, and i think its like 350$ or sumthing

Actually, I've tried these out before. Nice finishes, but not your player's choice. I recommend not getting a whammy bar at first. Not worrying about it will leave you time for learning how to play.

Guitar buying isn't shopping, it's a commitment. xD

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE
Quote by CORT noob
Slash uses an ibanez, and I hear that they are pretty versatile.

Slash uses an Ibanez what? Guitar?
Slash uses an Ibanez what? Guitar?

There's another Slash????
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
slash uses a mockingbird
Guitars:
Parkwood PW320M
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Epiphone C-40 willie nelson signature
Squier Strat
Some beat up acoustic from '68

Amps:
Vox Ad50vt
Crate xt15r

Effects:
Vox Clyde McCoy Wah
i was thinking ibanez, because they're cheap, they mostly have the whammy, and they're just versatile all around. the only thing about them is i don't know if he would nescesarily like the floyd rose.
~gtrfrk

RIP Roger "Syd" Barrett

My gear...

Samick Les Paul (AV6VB) Guitar w/ SD Alnico2/JB
Marshall AVT150H halfstack
Schecter Stiletto Elite-4 Bass
Ampeg BA112 Bass Amp
Quote by ledzep1023
slash uses a mockingbird

? Slash? "THE" Slash? From GnR?

Are you guys on crack?
While Slash(from GnR) usually uses a Les Paul, he has used a red Mockingbird a few times. For proof, check out the "You Could Be Mine" video on Youtube or go here...

http://www.snakepit.org/equip.html
My gear...

Samick Les Paul (AV6VB) Guitar w/ SD Alnico2/JB
Marshall AVT150H halfstack
Schecter Stiletto Elite-4 Bass
Ampeg BA112 Bass Amp
I would say to get a Fender Fat strat because it has the humbucker, and 2 singles, so he could get a good variety of tones. If he wants a bare basics amp, maybe you should try out an Epiphone Valve Jr. combo with an overdrive or distortion pedal. If he wants tons of tones, he should probably go with the Vox Valvetronix amp. Also, maybe you guys should check out used gear, because you would have a wider range of gear to look at.
Quote by Rock Savior
valve junior wouldn't really be a good choice for a first amp on a 200-300 dollar budget. Factor in a good OD and an EQ and ur at ur budget without a cab.

Thats just my opinion, and I'd go Fender if I were you...many CR guitarists used the strat, and a bucker in the bridge will give oyu more versatility.

theyre talking about the combo, which is about $130
gear:
fender mim telecaster w/ some extra stuff
Vox Ad50vt
Vox V847 Wah
Boss OS-2
Keeley Boss DS-1 Ultra
Electro-Harmonix Big Muff Pi USA
MXR Phase 90
Boss CH-1
OK, honestly dont' even try showing him a valve jr.

Hes a beginner, he most likely hasn't decided what style music he wants to play.

The valve jr is a very specific amp, with nothing on it. And assuming hes a complete nub he doesn't have an ear for tone yet either.

If you give him a valve jr I can almost assure you he will get tired of it, and end up trading it in for a spider or whatever. Just start him off a vox or roland, it'll keep him occupied and help him find his sound. Once he has a general idea of where he wants to go musically then you can start suggesting more genre specific amps.

btw, I'd recommend a fender fat strat. it'll have enough versatality, and they really don't play that bad if you choose a deecnt one.
The strat is perfect for any beginner because of its versatility.

For your amp needs, look at a Vox Valvetronix or Roland Cube.
Sent from my iPad.
i wouldnt recommend a floating bridge guitar for a beginner. He'll end up having a hard time. Uni directional bridges are fine i guess.
Peavey 5150, LTD EX400BD, tubescreamer, and a whole lotta fingers