like the title says, should be able to stuff like:

RHCP, RATM, audioslave, punk stuff, the killers, arctic monkeys (that kind of brit rock sound), the strokes, ska... stuff like that. would be a plus if it could do heavy rock too.

new or used.

thanks!
1984 MIJ Contemporary Fender Stratocaster
Fender Deluxe 40watt Tube
Boss DS-1
DOD Vintage Phasor
Digitech Bad Monkey
strat.

Edit: im pretty sure 5 of the bands u just mentioned use strats.
Quote by gallagher2006
This one time I went out at night and sexually assaulted 2 girls then murdered them and hid their bodies never to be found.

I pwned as a 7 year old
thanks, i know strats, that was my first option, but know of any other more obscure cool looking guitars that might work?
Boss DS-1
DOD Vintage Phasor
Digitech Bad Monkey
get a strat mate!!
Epiphone les paul custom
Epiphone les paul 56' reissue goldtop
Custom Telecaster
Boss ME-50
Digitech flanger
Digitech Hot Head
Marshall MG100DFX

Unmarked P-bass
Johnson J-style
Aria STB jazzbass
Fender Rumble 100
if u could spend 540 u could get a nice blackjack series tempest the are mahogony nad grover tuners tone pros bridge seymour duncan 59 and jb and coil splitting there nice i ha ve one
i have a greg bennett interceptor, its by samick and u probli havent heard of it, it has a fast neck and only cost $380 australian. it kicks ass with 2 single coils and a humbucker. string action is low, and minimal rattling. seek one out. it'll be worth your while.
for rhcp you need a strat. humbuckers wont sound right with it
My Rig
>MIM Fender Stratocaster and SX SJM-62
>various magicial noise boxes
>Peavey Classic 50 212

For the funk:
>Ibanez ATK300
>Acoustic B100
Quote by emberix
thanks, i know strats, that was my first option, but know of any other more obscure cool looking guitars that might work?

NEVER choose a guitar based on looks.........

just my 2 pennies
Light is faster than sound. That is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Quote by Scott3229
if i wanted to get brain washed and then throw all my money away, id go to church

"I see, you've been blinded by what you believe" Sully Erna
^^+1
Epiphone les paul custom
Custom Telecaster
Boss ME-50
Digitech flanger
Digitech Hot Head
Marshall MG100DFX

Unmarked P-bass
Johnson J-style
Aria STB jazzbass
Fender Rumble 100
True, but what's the point of having a great sounding guitar if it looks rubbish? I think (possibly not the best of doing it but well, who cares) it works well enough to find a guitar that you LOVE the look of, then try to find a specific model specifically that has the playability and sound you're after.
Chief arsonist of the Australia FTW! Club, PM the_random_hero or Alter-Bridge to join
I couldn't disagree more. Looks should really be one of the very last things that make you buy a guitar. Most guitars in that price range are going to be either strats, strat knock offs or LP knock-offs. Nothing really special about the looks of a PRS single-cut other than its beautiful finish, but man that guitar is just awesome to play. One of my guitars is an Ibanez ARC-300. It was like 400 bucks. I am not a big fan of the color but I bought it because the action was perfect, I like the tuners and the tone of the humbuckers. Seriously dude, looks should be almost last on your list.
Light is faster than sound. That is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Quote by Scott3229
if i wanted to get brain washed and then throw all my money away, id go to church

"I see, you've been blinded by what you believe" Sully Erna
Would Strats be useful for GnR and AC/DC as well? Or would a different guitar do?
~InfernalBrood wuz heer
a fat strat should be ok
Epiphone les paul custom
Custom Telecaster
Boss ME-50
Digitech flanger
Digitech Hot Head
Marshall MG100DFX

Unmarked P-bass
Johnson J-style
Aria STB jazzbass
Fender Rumble 100
While I have never played it, a lot of people rave about the Epiphone G-400 series. Worth a look or at least a mention.
My gear...

Samick Les Paul (AV6VB) Guitar w/ SD Alnico2/JB
Marshall AVT150H halfstack
Schecter Stiletto Elite-4 Bass
Ampeg BA112 Bass Amp
Fender Stratocaster.
For these things give thanks at nightfall:The day gone, a guttered torch,A sword tested, the troth of a maid,Ice crossed, ale drunk.-The Hávamál
Quote by cnorthern
I couldn't disagree more. Looks should really be one of the very last things that make you buy a guitar. Most guitars in that price range are going to be either strats, strat knock offs or LP knock-offs. Nothing really special about the looks of a PRS single-cut other than its beautiful finish, but man that guitar is just awesome to play. One of my guitars is an Ibanez ARC-300. It was like 400 bucks. I am not a big fan of the color but I bought it because the action was perfect, I like the tuners and the tone of the humbuckers. Seriously dude, looks should be almost last on your list.

hey man, that may be true that looks arent important if youre just recording or playing by yourself, but if your playing shows and stuff you need to have a nice looking guitar... lol
Boss DS-1
DOD Vintage Phasor
Digitech Bad Monkey
Tone>Looks. Pretty much all the bands that you listed use strats so you might want a single coil guitar. Check out fender strats, or the prs soapbar. The soapbar is a little hard to find but www.sweetwater.com should carry em.
Founder of the EHX Users Guild
My Photography

Quote by Kyle-Rehm
Please don't tell me I'm the only one that clicked this thread thinking I would learn how to make my guitar sound like a grizzly bear.
Quote by emberix
hey man, that may be true that looks arent important if youre just recording or playing by yourself, but if your playing shows and stuff you need to have a nice looking guitar... lol

Not true. Look at Frusciante's strat. Its just a plain 60's strat w/ a suburst. That thing has been beat to shit and gone to hell and back. It sounds fkn amazing. Looks dont matter as much as tone.
Founder of the EHX Users Guild
My Photography

Quote by Kyle-Rehm
Please don't tell me I'm the only one that clicked this thread thinking I would learn how to make my guitar sound like a grizzly bear.
Fender Fat Strat.

That's about it.
Co-Founder of the Orange Revolution Club

-Esp/Ltd Ec-1000 w/ BKP Mules
-2-channel Titan
-Oversized Bogner 2x12 Cabinet
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-T.C. Electronic Nova Delay
-Larrivee D-03R
I agree w/ cnorthern that looks should not be an important factor. You should find a guitar that feels completely natural from the start - like you've been playing it for years. The guitars I think play the best are never the one's that looked the best to me. Still, I'd never buy a guitar that I hated the way it looked.

I'm not big Fender fan (I hate the big knob on the Strat head stock for some reason), though they do make good guitars. I have heard good things about the Schecter C line. If you like thinner necks try an an Ibanez RG. The Wizard II neck isn't super thin. Try the Ibanez SZ as well. A good condition used Jackson Pro series (string through Soloist or Dinky) is another option, but that may be hard to find. Yeah it's a hard rock/shred guitar, but w/ a proper set up it plays great, and with the right p/up combo and a 5 position switch you'll get plent of different tones for alt. rock.

No matter what, I strongly suggest you try out different guitars, even the same model, before buying as production quality varies - especially in this price range.

After a quick seach on musicians friend I found these. Keep in mind you'll probably have to swap out the pups for any guitar in this price range.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Ibanez-RG3EXQM1-Quilted-Maple-Top-Electric-Guitar?sku=519784
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Schecter-C1-Plus-Electric-Guitar?sku=513010X
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Schecter-GRYPHON-Limited-Edition-Flametop?sku=518483
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Ibanez-2005-SZ320-Electric-Guitar-?sku=519983

Good luck - I hope this helps.
Probably a strat as others have mentioned or Schecter. I love my Schecter Omen 6 and it's great for anything, especially that type of stuff.
Set-Up
Schecter Diamond Series Omen 6 & Ovation CC24 & Ibanez GSR200
Digitech GNX3
Line 6 Spider 2 112