Apparently Epiphone basses are crap.

But in the end its your decision

go to your local Squier dealer

and play the bass
otherwise its pretty pointless
you might not like it
you can spend the money based on someone elses opinion
trust me, I know
play both basses and see what appeals to you, i liked the Epiphone more and no Epiphones are not crap. that is just your opinion, and if you want one of those T-birds than get one fast because production is moving to China than they might not be so good...
Gear: 08 Fender MIA Jazz bass,
American Peavey Millenium Plus 4,
GK 1001RBII,
Mesa/Boogie RR215,
Schecter C-1 Classic.
At that price level, the competition is stiff and basses are pretty much the same. Yes, go for what feels right, but most importantly, go for what SOUNDS right. Those basses aren't pretending to be anything they aren't; cheap versions of the real deal. I bet if you buy one of those basses and love it, your first 'real' bass will be a Gibson or a Fender of the same model!

However, the P-Bass has a Duncan Designed pickup which is located closer to the bridge than a normal P-Bass... and FWIW, the P-Bass is a better deal at $166 off the list price, as opposed to the Firebird being $99 off the list price. Therefore I think that bass has the upper hand.
Last edited by thefitz at Feb 2, 2007,
Quote by thefitz
At that price level, the competition is stiff and basses are pretty much the same. Yes, go for what feels right, but most importantly, go for what SOUNDS right. Those basses aren't pretending to be anything they aren't; cheap versions of the real deal. I bet if you buy one of those basses and love it, your first 'real' bass will be a Gibson or a Fender of the same model!

However, the P-Bass has a Duncan Designed pickup which is located closer to the bridge than a normal P-Bass... and FWIW, the P-Bass is a better deal at $166 off the list price, as opposed to the Firebird being $99 off the list price. Therefore I think that bass has the upper hand.

a bass has a upper hand because of the list price?! I should call a doctor!
that has nothing to do with how the bass plays, its how it sounds or feels to the player. that comment about list price was just the stupidest thing ive ever read
GK 1001RBII,
Mesa/Boogie RR215,
Schecter C-1 Classic.
Personally i hate the feel of T-Birds and i love that new Vintage modified series of squiers (apart from the fretless) so i would go for the squier definitely.
Quote by Bumper
Looks like you had a big bowl of Downs Syndrome for breakfast.

Member of the Bass Militia, PM Nutter_101 to join

Lover of Ashdown? Join the Ashdown Army!
I'd go for the P-Bass, they're more ergonomical. They will both sound very different though, I'd find out what they're made of and how that affects they're sound and decide which one would suit the sound you're going for. Also the T-Bird has 'buckers and the P-bass has singles which affects the sound a lot.

EDIT: And always play before you buy.
21st Century Digital Boy
Last edited by hardcoreatheist at Feb 3, 2007,
P-bass, I really disliked the feel of the thunderbird and I found the p-bass much nicer to play.
Warwick Jazzman
Hartke 1415 140Watt
Boss Overdrive
Quote by Ampeg SVT
a bass has a upper hand because of the list price?! I should call a doctor!
that has nothing to do with how the bass plays, its how it sounds or feels to the player. that comment about list price was just the stupidest thing ive ever read

Do you know FWIW stands for? It stands for For What It's Worth. If it's worth nothing to you, then that's fine. It is just something to note. It's a better deal; AND I was refering to the Duncan Designed Pickups when I was giving it the upper hand. It was in that comment too, you know. The deal was just the icing on the cake.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
^ So THAT'S what FWIW stands for, always wondered about that. ANd I would say get the Squier I have heard only good things about it and %90 of the things I hear about the Epiphones are bad. They also have CHUNKY necks.
both basses have chunky necks, if you get the Epiphone than get a strap that is 3-4 inches thick and get some straplocks too. the P-bass is known to have a chunky neck, its going to have a different sound thats going to be a little midrangey, listen to some Army of Anyone or the Deftones for p-bass sound.

thunderbirds are a little different, they have a deeper darker sound thats a little growly. its known to have neck dive but i think that is just a load of BS. go to www.gibsonbass.com and go to basses and click on thunderbirds and listen to the clips they have there.

but its up to you, just go out and play those basses!!
GK 1001RBII,
Mesa/Boogie RR215,
Schecter C-1 Classic.