Hey guys I've been playing for a while now but I'm finding that my current setup isn't quite working for me and it's not very versatile. I inherited the following from my father when he passed away.....

1983 Fender Telecaster
Peavey Bandit 65 w/ footswitch

And that's about it lol. My general gripes with the setup is that it's always so sparkly, unless I heavily distort it, and that I don't get much sustain, the telecaster is also big and heavy (not too heavy to lift but I just dont like the feel.) I play lots of different kinds of music but what I really want to start playing are mostly songs by musicians like eric clapton, and other classic rock artists. Any feedback as to what I should get (whether it be new guitars, amps, effects, etc.) would be nice. Money is not really an issue and I do want something nice, but I don't want to spend and arm and a leg from buying a brand new gibson or anything (even though i would certainly like to.)

Thanks for your help.
Upgrade the amp first. An old Marshall will help with that sound.
"A wise man once said, never discuss philosophy or politics in a disco environment." - Frank Zappa
Quote by Jinskee
Don't question the X.
<Frenchy> I'm such a failure
Schecter Blackjack series coil tapping seymour duncans 59 neck jb bridge mahogany body grover tuners sleek black body carved top creme binding end of story very versatile get it! and a amp one of the roland 30x
i agree with xifr
but what one of claptons periods are you trying to get the sound from because he used alot of different guitars
Guitars:
Parkwood PW320M
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Epiphone C-40 willie nelson signature
Squier Strat
Some beat up acoustic from '68

Amps:
Vox Ad50vt
Crate xt15r

Effects:
Vox Clyde McCoy Wah
if i were you i'd get a strat of some kind, american unless thats too much (its around $950 i believe) or you could get a highway one, or one of the mim's

i definatly agree with an old marshall
gear:
fender mim telecaster w/ some extra stuff
Vox Ad50vt
Vox V847 Wah
Boss OS-2
Keeley Boss DS-1 Ultra
Electro-Harmonix Big Muff Pi USA
MXR Phase 90
Boss CH-1
Would you be interested in trading the Tele for something more rock?

Ron
Guys, the tele is fine, Jimmy Page used a tele, and most people can't tell the difference.
"A wise man once said, never discuss philosophy or politics in a disco environment." - Frank Zappa
Quote by Jinskee
Don't question the X.
<Frenchy> I'm such a failure