If you wanted a versatile Strat that is able to play most types of music, but still keeps a general Strat sound, which pups would you pick?

My train of thought would be some vintage pups in the neck/middle and something hotter in the bridge, like a humbucker if you have a HSS Strat, or a mini-bucker if you have a regular SSS Strat. I have Vintage Noiseless in my neck and mid, and a SD JB jr in the bridge.

I was just wondering what other people’s thoughts are on making a Strat a little more versatile by adding a hotter bridge. Or if you do something else, post it, I would like to know.

Thanks!
My gear...

Samick Les Paul (AV6VB) Guitar w/ SD Alnico2/JB
Marshall AVT150H halfstack
Schecter Stiletto Elite-4 Bass
Ampeg BA112 Bass Amp
Last edited by Staz80 at Feb 2, 2007,
in an SSS, Lace Red - Blue - Silver

With humbuckers, More lace only with splittable duallies.
I have heard that combo is fairly versatile, but I also heard that combo doesn't sound much like a Strat though?
My gear...

Ampeg BA112 Bass Amp
S-S-S

Bridge: Seymour Duncan Hot Rails
Mid: Seymour Duncan Cool Rails
Neck: DiMarzio YJM

All 3 coil tapped. 3 coil tapped humbuckers is as versatile as it gets.
Well they're noiseless; you'd be surprised how much people associate hum with strats.

You can still get strat sounds though, even if you might have to roll of a little volume.
I think trying to make a versatile guitar by mixing and matching pickups doesn't really give you a versatile guitar. I think switching options is what makes a guitar versatile; that, and a good flexible amp. Find a good, balanced set that you like overall and then deal with that from there. I've tried for a long time to make a Strat with three completely different pickups sound good and it just wasn't working. I also don't like Lace Sensors very much. I've tried a few of them in the past and they were pretty bland to me.
Hi, I'm Peter
Quote by Pacifica112J

All 3 coil tapped. 3 coil tapped humbuckers is as versatile as it gets.

Newb question...What is coil tapping and what does it do for the sound?
My gear...

Ampeg BA112 Bass Amp
Many humbuckers (most aftermarket ones) can be wired so that you can either use them as humbuckers or flick a switch and use on of the coils on it's own as a single coil.

tbh though with single sized humbuckers you'd just get lower output and not much of a change in sound
Do you need a special switch to do that, and can that be done to my SD JB jr?
My gear...

Ampeg BA112 Bass Amp
Quote by Staz80
Newb question...What is coil tapping and what does it do for the sound?

When you tap a coil, you get single coil sound, but without the hum. Then, you can just flick a switch, and go back to humbucker.
Quote by Nick_
in an SSS, Lace Red - Blue - Silver

With humbuckers, More lace only with splittable duallies.

Agreed, plus it's red silver blue. If he gets a humbucker in the bridge either red/red or a red/silver would be the best choice.