first off, i guess i should ask this here, my teacher mentioned carl verheyen to me this week, and played me some of his riffage and taught me some of his string skipping licks, and i really love the stuff i heard/learned, and ive been searching all over and cant find any cds of his around here, would anyone be willing to send me even just a song or two?

second, i play for about 3-4 hours a day now thanks to school, and i try to do around 6+ on the weekend, usually around 8, i am for it, its hard to do now, because i havent been into the whole shredding thing for a while, only around 2 months, but its slowly being built into my system so i can do 8 hours a day without getting bored at all, granted i take a lot of breaks along the way, 5-10 minutes every hour and a half is usually about it

i was playing about this much a few weeks ago, and in my left wrist i keep getting this 'spasm' i guess i'd call it, its only in one specific spot too, its like, right where my wrist is, if you stuck your thumb out, and followed that muscle(maybe tendon?) that sticks out, its like right where that meets the wrist

and its like this
i dont notice it much while playing, or while im not, but its right after i stop playing for a second, and straighten my left arm, it pinches for like half a second

do any of you know what that is?

and also, i took a break from guitar, i still played for around an hour a day, but it was during exams and i was also just busy in other things, and i started playing seriously again monday, and i noticed by tuesday it was back, it never amounts to anything more, so i really dont know, it doesnt really hurt or anything, its just there

and also
for those of you that practice 8+ hours a day

im planning to start a vigorous schedule like that over summer, couple things

a. if you generally divided your playing schedule, what would it look like, what general things do you do? i find i can just straight out practice for around 3-4 hours, after that i start getting off task, do you work on new songs? do you learn songs?

b. since im still kind of new to this, i havent been working all that hard, i work a lot more then any of my peers i know, i know craploads of theory, have ready plenty of books on it, but speedwise, so i work on everything from just scales, to playing through modes, to string skipping, sweeping, tapping, legato, just about everything i can get my hands on

and currently my alt picking is at around 8/9 notes per second solidly if its a riff ive practiced previously, i can usually do around 7/8 nps on the spot

my sweeping gets up around 10/11 nps solid as hell, and i can get it up to 12 nps some days its dead on, others its so so

and im just wondering if this is the kind of results i should be seeing right now, is this substantial? and if i start playing like 8 hours over summer, which is my plan, will i see a really solid improvement just from constant playing? is it like after a month you notice major improvement, it will it continue to me a miniscule gradual thing as it has been?
Quote by beadhangingOne
There is no music but metal and muhammad is its prophet.
Quote by EZLN libertad
first off, i guess i should ask this here, my teacher mentioned carl verheyen to me this week, and played me some of his riffage and taught me some of his string skipping licks, and i really love the stuff i heard/learned, and ive been searching all over and cant find any cds of his around here, would anyone be willing to send me even just a song or two?

Did you even look? I recommend Garage Sale.
http://www.carlverheyen.com/store.htm

No time for the rest of the thread right now... FP or someone will surely come along and crush your dreams
He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt.
He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would fully suffice.

Remember: A prudent question is one half of wisdom.

Click.
Damn, TS....... you're pretty good at sweeps !!
Tone is all ...... well probably 75%, in your fingers.
The rest depends on your wallet's thickness !!

Keep the faith, baby!!
I don't really have an uber strict workout schedule, but I just play from the time I get home from school till I go to sleep which equates to about 7 hours. I work on whatever I feel like doing that day, songs, exercises, whatever. The only thing that stays constant is my warm-up. (Which takes maybe an hour at the most.)
i don't have a strict workout schedule, jsut my warm up which doesn't change, anyways, (this is to the thread starter) if you liked the string skipping you learned you should check out paul giblert, he's amazing at it,
Quote by Prophet of Page
If Hendrix, Clapton and Page were to jam, the most impressive guitarist playing would be Paul Gilbert.

Member of the "Marty Friedman > You" Club. PM apocalypse13 or altronataku to join

member of the Mitch Hedberg pwns club pm Knives490 to join
Didn't quite understand all what you said about your wrist but to me it sounds like symptoms of carpal tunnel.

What comes to practicing schedule try to have a balance between all the things you practice. Besides all the technique woodshedding, remember to jam and improvise. Theory and transcribing songs are important too.
Quote by eviledge87
i don't have a strict workout schedule, jsut my warm up which doesn't change, anyways, (this is to the thread starter) if you liked the string skipping you learned you should check out paul giblert, he's amazing at it,

heh, oh dont worry i already know, hes the main reason i do string skipping, im gonna be catchin G3 in chicago too

Quote by beadhangingOne
There is no music but metal and muhammad is its prophet.
i did what you are planning on doing (8+ hour practice days every day of summer)..best decision i ever made i think..the only thing i would change is that i didnt work on theory or songlearning..i took a variety of exercises from different powertab lessons found here and did it in one mega workout...cant play that much now because i have a life and all..