hey guys i went in to radioshack today and picked up a soldering iron and I saw that they also had desoldering irons? And it got me thinking, to remove all of the electronics out of my guitar ill have to desolder but wont my soldering iron do this or do I have to go back and buy the desoldering iron as well? I didnt want to buy it without being sure and the guys in there were no help because they barely spoke english. Any ideas?

Oh and the one I bought was a 15-watt iron, will that work or will I need a 30 watt?
hmm, soldering irons melt solder, so desolding irons will....reinforce it?

yeah, its a scam, dont waste ur money on it.
My Gear
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Peavey Valveking 112
Line 6 über-Metal Pedal

Quote by pwrmax
All you care about is looks? No wonder you have it hard.

Quote by srvflood
You can't have sex with her personality.
same here i was gonna say desoldering braid. go to radioshack and tell them thats what youre looking for and theyll help you.
get a desoldering braid and bulb. The bulb can be used for large masses of solder like grounding joints on the back of pots
Is this what you saw? http://www.elexp.com/solder/060849.jpg Because that looks like it could be pretty useful for a shop, but it looks too big and awkward for guitar electronics.

http://projects.jheiv.com/images/blog/2006-03-20/03-18%20Desoldering%20Pump.jpg this is what I use to remove the solder.
Will says:
DON'T FEAR THE REAPER!
- SmarterChild - says:
I don't know if I can help it.

Member #6 of the "I play my guitar as high as Tom Morello does" club
nah, the one they had there looked exactly like the soldering iron, thats why it confused me. But ill head down and pick up some desoldering braid as soon as I can. thanks alot guys.
and as anyone here ever used a 15 watt iron, is it strong enough before i open it or should i go back and get a 30 watt
I have the radio shack 15w/30w iron where you can switch between both. I used 15w first, but now it takes long to heat up and it doesnt heat up solder too great. So I use the 30w and its much better.
ok thanks alot guys. and one more quick question. the iron didnt come with any solder and they had alot of diff. choices to pick from like for example rosin-core solder .032 dia., so can someone tell me the differences b/t solder and if the rosin-core solder will work or not when I go to solder the stuff back in?
i dont know exactly what its called but i use it at work all the time, we call it the solder sucker (clever huh) basically it looks like a giant needle that you prime on one end, then when you hit the button it sucks the melted solder in, it was relativly cheap and works great.
Custom Telecaster
Alvarez RD20SSB
Jasmine S-35
*Epiphone FT-130

"Yeah, I'm real deep when I'm not busy masturbating or setting off fireworks." - John Mayer
Quote by Ervinr82
i dont know exactly what its called but i use it at work all the time, we call it the solder sucker (clever huh) basically it looks like a giant needle that you prime on one end, then when you hit the button it sucks the melted solder in, it was relativly cheap and works great.

Yep, that's a desoldering bulb.
"Everybody, one day will die and be forgotten. Act and behave in a way that will make life interesting and fun. Find a passion, form relationships, don't be afraid to get out there and fuck what everyone else thinks."
Quote by JFive
ok thanks alot guys. and one more quick question. the iron didnt come with any solder and they had alot of diff. choices to pick from like for example rosin-core solder .032 dia., so can someone tell me the differences b/t solder and if the rosin-core solder will work or not when I go to solder the stuff back in?

Rosin core helps a bit to solder. Helps keeps pieces stuck together.
Any size works fine, just don't get it too thick, you don't want a huge blob of solder, you know.
Lastly, make sure you get the 60/40 tin lead solution. Tis the best for the guitar electronics.
ok, thanks alot forsaknazrael. So the tin lead solution, is it just a type of solder or is it something totally different. Basically, right now what I have in my hand says standard rosin-core solder .032 dia and over to the side it has 60/40. Will that work to solder my wires or do I need to go back and buy that tin lead solution? Sorry all the lame questions guys, I just wanna make sure I get the right stuff so I dont have to keep going back over and over.
also check out a De-Soldering pump.
i like that personaly, you heat up the sodler & suck it out w/ the pump
Rig:
-Jackson Soloist: SL2HT (On its way to Canada)
-Epiphone Les Paul Gothic w/ SD JB (Process of Modding)
-Art & Lutherie Spruce CW
-Dunlop Crybaby (Process of Modding)

For Sale
-Peavey Valveking 112
pm me for info
Quote by the_random_hero
Yep, that's a desoldering bulb.

No, that's a desoldering pump. The bulb is the one that looks like a balloon, and works like an eyedropper.
Will says:
DON'T FEAR THE REAPER!
- SmarterChild - says:
I don't know if I can help it.

Member #6 of the "I play my guitar as high as Tom Morello does" club
Quote by JFive

The solder you describe is fine for the job 60/40 lead / tin rosin core. Don't get the silver or lead-free stuff and you def want rosin core.

For desoldering you really want the blue tubular solder sucker, not the bulb.

For God sake PRACTICE before going inside your guitar. Inside the guitar is no place to stick a soldering iron for the first time. If you find yourself getting frustrated or not knowing how to approach something, unplug the iron, sit back, go for a walk, sort it out and come back with your zen on.

I do a lot of work for DIY guys and the big difference in the bills is how they react when they get in over their heads.

Ron