This is to be my first build, and I'm wondering how exactly I'm going to do this.

I've read up (No, really) on electronics and specifically pedal builds, and I think I'm ready to try this out.

Using the following schematic, I'm going to try and build a volume pedal.
http://www.vmsrecords.com/dissolute/mrcleanschem.gif

This is what I understand so far:
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y225/Sephiroth101101/Schematic.png

,but what's that thing labeled ?? ? I'm guessing it's a cap, but I'm not sure.

Just by looking at the schematic, I'm guessing I'll need two mono jacks, a pot, that ??, some paint, a soldering devise, a circuit board, and some kind of stomp mechanism. But if I want a real pedal, and not a stompbox, how would I do this so that the volume changes depending on how much the pedal is depressed? Where can I buy parts for all of this, and about how much money would it cost?

Thanks greatly for the poor soul who is kind enough to answer my questions.

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE
100pF is a capaciter to make sure when you turn the volume down the tone doesn't get bassier.

You don't need circuit board, just wire. The switch will be attached to the casing, and so will the pot, the capaciter will be attached to the volume pot, and the grounds will all be attatched to the back of the volume pot. Everything else is just wires.
Will says:
DON'T FEAR THE REAPER!
- SmarterChild - says:
I don't know if I can help it.

Member #6 of the "I play my guitar as high as Tom Morello does" club
Thanks, that clears things up quite a bit.

So from what I've gathered, I need a stomp or toggle switch, a pot, a capacitor, two jacks, a box, a volume knob, and wires.

Any ideas on where to buy these?

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE
Last edited by MusicalMinority at Feb 2, 2007,
The ?? is indeed a capacitor. To allow you to do volume swells (the whole idea of a volume pedal), you should look into getting an older wah pedal case that you can just clean out and hook this circuit up inside.
EDIT: Shit, I'm late. Check out this site which should have everything you need, I'm not sure about the case though.
"Everybody, one day will die and be forgotten. Act and behave in a way that will make life interesting and fun. Find a passion, form relationships, don't be afraid to get out there and fuck what everyone else thinks."
Thanks for the link.

Capacitors, Low Voltage Poly Film
Capacitors, Xicon High Voltage Poly Film
Capacitors, Mallory 150 Series Poly Film
Capacitors, Sprague 715 Series, Orange Drop
Capacitor, Sprague 716 Series, Orange Drop
Capacitors, Silver Mica
Capacitors, Electrolytic

Eh?...

I'm also having trouble finding the right switches, jacks, pots, and wires. Meh, I'm pathetic at this stuff.

EDIT: And on top of that, I'm now debating on the size of the case I'm going to put this in. <_<

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE
Last edited by MusicalMinority at Feb 2, 2007,
Your main problem is how you're going to be able to do volume swells with your foot with a standard enclosure. I couldn't find anybody who made DIY wah enclosures, this site might give you some inspiration to make your own.
I still think you're MUCH better off getting a old wah of some sort (it doesn't even have to work).
"Everybody, one day will die and be forgotten. Act and behave in a way that will make life interesting and fun. Find a passion, form relationships, don't be afraid to get out there and fuck what everyone else thinks."
THat why that dude made was sweeet
Quote by Unforgivable
LesPaulMarshalls ace!
Quote by Dudage
LesPaulMarshall, you friggin rock!
Quote by adrian_brown89
It's pretty hard to find someone as hardcore as Tom. The race for hardcore supremacy would be pretty close but i think Tom's got his nose just in front for now...
an ernie ball volume pedal is really only two volume pots wired in series. one will turn it down, but not all the way down, and one will turn it all the way down. it doesn't even have a circuit board. it works with a string
My Blog
New bands you wish you knew about!

Check This Band:As Blood Runs Black
Guitarist of the month: Quorthon

Got a good band that you want to share with the world? PM me and I'll write them a review.
whoa, i was just thinking of making a volume pedal right before i read this... so i guess its pretty simple after all... heck, you could even use an old 500k pot out of an old guitar.. could you skip doing the switch and just have a wah-type pedal that rocks without switching off??
Quote by the_random_hero
Your main problem is how you're going to be able to do volume swells with your foot with a standard enclosure. I couldn't find anybody who made DIY wah enclosures, this site might give you some inspiration to make your own.
I still think you're MUCH better off getting a old wah of some sort (it doesn't even have to work).

So if I get an old wah pedal as the enclosure, is that going to change how I would build this normally?

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE
Quote by MusicalMinority
So if I get an old wah pedal as the enclosure, is that going to change how I would build this normally?

I don't think you're getting it. If you built it into a normal enclosure, you would have to turn the pedal down BY HAND unless you were handy with your foot. By buying an older wah enclosure, you can have an adjustable pedal that you can use your foot on.
Yeah, but would it change the way I'd build the insides is what I meant by the question.

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE
Nope, everything would be laid out the same. You might have to pay a bit more to replace the pot though, I'm not sure if standard pots will fit with the gearing mechanism
Well, that shell's about as expensive as just buying a volume pedal, but I've got some guys at Guitar Center to look for damaged volume/wah pedals. I think I might be able to get one pretty cheap.

Thanks for the heads-up though.

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE
yeah, i get lucky, the musician's friend clearance center is right near here, sells all the defective stuff from MF. lots of cheap stuff- broken wah pedals for $8.
Quote by corduroyEW
Cheap amps are "that bad". They suck up your tone like cocaine at Kate Moss' party.

I am Michael!
I was thinking about building a volume pedal simply using a vaiable resistor. Is this a bad way of going about it?
Quote by tim275
I was thinking about building a volume pedal simply using a vaiable resistor. Is this a bad way of going about it?

Quote by tubab0y
http://generalguitargadgets.com/diagrams/dearm_vol.gif

EDIT: and small bear sells the pots with the gears, it's all under the wah wah and volume pedal parts. get an enclosure there too.

i think this question's been answered
Call me Dan

Gear:
2015 Les Paul Studio - Wine Red
Ibanez SA120 (black)
Marshall MG100HDFX
Custom Les Paul (work in progress)
About 10 other guitars and a big pedalboard. lol
hmm i have old steering wheel for pc with brake and accelation, so i think that has 2 pots..
could i make wah or volume pedal from that? or both?
looks like this
do NOT bump threads 7 months old.
yes you can make a volume pedal, even a wah just go put it in your own thread or the ultimate pedal building thread....
Quote by guitarcam123
do NOT bump threads 7 months old.
yes you can make a volume pedal, even a wah just go put it in your own thread or the ultimate pedal building thread....

ok ty..
i got this thread from google, i wasn't looking the date of it..