Page 1 of 2
Ok Speed, Difficulty of playing, and all that other stuff, Does not make you a better musician. I think anyone can be a musician. One thing that is making me mad is that i hear all this garbage on how like " How fast can you play" and " Thats so simple to play," I think that if your own original riff sounds good anyway u make it whether you play it fast or slow. I myself a musician, dont even read any sheet music, hardly tabs. I just play the way i want and im ahppy with that, if someone compares me to a guitarist who is just all speed and doesn't sound good and makes no musical sence, i get so mad. lol Iunno i just had to get that out there. Does anyone agree with me or am i just alone on this one
Quote by Johnljones7443
Shredding is having control over your instrument and being free of technical obstacles so your music is not limited by your playing ability.
We like to play fast, we're going to play fast, and we don't care that you don't care about your proficiency on the guitar.

This came up earlier this week (and scores of times before) and that thread was closed. The same should be true of this.

*Reported*

And no, I am not a dickhead or a tatle-tale for reporting this.
what? iv been on here twice this week and in not once seen another post liek that? what the heck? why would you report me for sharing my oppinion on something. w/e your wierd obviously
Pfff.. haha go ahead report me haha. they obviously wont get rid of me i have done nobody any wrong. Im on here for my own good for my guitar skills and abilities.
Quote by SillyRabbit
Pfff.. haha go ahead report me haha. they obviously wont get rid of me i have done nobody any wrong. Im on here for my own good for my guitar skills and abilities.
You won't get banned for this, nor should you. The thread should simply be deleted. After that, you may continue to learn about the guitar.

I won't oppose your banning if you act like a prick, but your ignorance (that's not an insult) on this subject hardly qualifies. I wish you luck on the guitar and I hope Elv/Nightwind has a long post regarding the topic saved in MS Word.
ahah ok well. I never knew that this topic was so popular pardon me for bein a prick but when i make a thread you dotn have to be all like This has been said already Cuz there will always be a chance theres like thousands of people on this site. How am i supposed to know if its been said go through all the threads? lol well i guess i could of searched but im lazy
I'm not expecting you to know why this type of thread is annoying, I'm merely informing you as to why it is.

See, you have to understand that I've been on here just about every day for the ast three years, and very frequently, some schmuck comes along saying "Sweep picking is hard. I don't need it. Speed sucks." After a hundred times, that gets annoying.

I see no reason why we shouldn't test the limits of speed on the guitar. So what if it sounds terrible? Di I care the experimental aircraft look ridiculous but can fly 7072430872072094372985280 miles per hous? No, not at all.
yeah, but your misunderstanding me. I think speeds Awsome but just because your riff isn't fast enough doesn't mean it sucks. you know what im trying to get at? Im sorry if i came off like the way u thot and no this isn't really one of those forums. Well at least i think so.
Slow can be good, but slow can also suck. Fast can be good, but fast can also suck. Good can be good, but good can't suck.

And you won't see a respected member of the UG say that something sucks SIMPLY because it is slow. Be careful, though, because some of us (me) may claim that something sucks as a direct result of being slow. For instance, if I think that a riff would sound nastier/harsher (the good harsh)/meaner/better if it were a little faster, I will tell you so.

That said, you should learn technique and theory because you don't want to be limited by a lack of knowledge that one time you need it.
If your playing fast and make sence musically. Then great. thats what im getting at but if ur just playing fast and dont even make sence. just some fast solos to nothing. then how are you supposed to tell me youre better. See?
Quote by SillyRabbit
then how are you supposed to tell me youre better.
Because I am not limited by technical aspects of the guitar.

Strip it down to the basics. John has never played a guitar before in his life. He literally can't play the guitar at all. However, he can hear unbelievable riffs and melodies and such in his head.

On the other hand, Mustafa has spectacular technique that can make your head pull a Linda Blair. Unfortunately, he can't play anything particularilly interesting or musical, just scales up and down, maybe so swept arpeggios.

Who is the better guitarist. Obviously, it is Mustafa in this case.
SillyRabbit, he gets it. Hes got it a million times before. Because he doesn't completely agree with you doesn't mean he doesn't get it.

BGC, I agree that Mustafa is the better guitarist, but I would much rather hear John hum a melody than hear a second of Mustafas masturbation. Therefore I beleive John is the better musician.
My name is Andy
Quote by MudMartin
Only looking at music as math and theory, is like only looking at the love of your life as flesh and bone.

Swinging to the rhythm of the New World Order,
Counting bodies like sheep to the rhythm of the war drums
Quote by Ænimus Prime
I agree that Mustafa is the better guitarist, but I would much rather hear John hum a melody than hear a second of Mustafas masturbation. Therefore I beleive John is the better musician.
I agree on all points.
fine w/e Ill just delete this thread i dont want any more contreversy, just wanted my thoughts voiced on my oppinion and something that bothered me. My oppinion still sticks to me and im sure u feel the same so yeah this will go nowhere from here.
i agree... you should challenge your self but, you shouldnt try to write music that is hard or too fast because all that is saying is that you are trying too hard for your own good.
Tony

New rule: Shave your pubes. The ladies love it.
Don't delete this thread. We're actually having a reasonable discussion and that's never happened before.

Quote by Shreddmaster
you shouldnt try to write music that is hard or too fast because all that is saying is that you are trying too hard for your own good.
Please explain this concept, because as far as I can tell, you don't want something written fast simply because it will be fast (as in it's not because the speed will sound bad).
Yeah. I like fast playing stuff but only if its not jibberish crap cuz anyone can do that. when ur playing slow or even at a moderate tempo, and your playing something that is musically acceptable, makes sence and has a good vibe to it, it easily beats the jibberish
Quote by bangoodcharlote
Don't delete this thread. We're actually having a reasonable discussion and that's never happened before.

Please explain this concept, because as far as I can tell, you don't want something written fast simply because it will be fast (as in it's not because the speed will sound bad).

Yeah i wont. Im having a goodtime. i like to debate
Doesn't need to be fast to be good, but the same goes with melodic phrases, in a way. If you're getting to the "climax" of the solo, I'd much rather hear a couple of wicked fast lines than a massive build up to just a melodic simple line. That being said, I'm a huge fan of RHCP's solo in "Wet Sand". Really, it all comes down to what fits the song.

Meh, I hope this is pertinent to this thread.
DANNY

Quote by kevinm4435 to some guy
hey d00d i herd u dont like shred u r a genius 4 thinkin dat. all shred is fukin lame wit no soul u no wat im sayin??
^^ As you have stated before (I count 4 times) in this thread. Your oppinion has been heard. Edit: This is directed at sillyrabbits post a couple back.

BGC, to speak for shreddmaster, FORCING the music to be fast and technical is not the way to go. For example, imagine Satch's "Cryin'" being played at 5 times the tempo. That particular peice's heart-tearing emotion would be lost. That said, a different peice played insanely fast could still have the same emotional strength.
My name is Andy
Quote by MudMartin
Only looking at music as math and theory, is like only looking at the love of your life as flesh and bone.

I'm a HUGE fan of using speed to make a climax in a solo. That's what makes "Tornado of Souls" such a great solo. He does a lot of slowish, melodic lines with just a few quick flurries here and there, but then he builds up into the ridiculous arpeggio lick and some crazy shred that's simply nuts.
Emotion is relative, though. What you or I or anyone else considers "emotional" is completely subjective. It's not as though, "notes at x speed have this much emotional content".
(Slightly outdated) Electronic and classical compositions by m'self: Check 'em out
Yeah. I like fast playing stuff but only if its not jibberish crap cuz anyone can do that.

Well of course you like it when it doens't sound like "jibberish crap." I like just about everything that I isn't "jibberish crap."
Quote by bangoodcharlote
I'm a HUGE fan of using speed to make a climax in a solo. That's what makes "Tornado of Souls" such a great solo. He does a lot of slowish, melodic lines with just a few quick flurries here and there, but then he builds up into the ridiculous arpeggio lick and some crazy shred that's simply nuts.

Thats the way my solos are pretty much written. I always love to tell a story through a solo, then the climax part comes and fits perfectly. I usually base my solo's on something like this

Intro --> Main melodic phrasing and such --> Build up --> Climax --> Conclusion.

Although, its always fun to mix things up.
DANNY

hey d00d i herd u dont like shred u r a genius 4 thinkin dat. all shred is fukin lame wit no soul u no wat im sayin??
I reckon a climax to a solo needs to be exciting, and probably the best way to create excitement in music is with speed.

Oh and BGC, who plays "Tornado of Souls"? I don't really know of too many shredders - the only in my collection are Petrucci and Satriani!
My name is Andy
Quote by MudMartin

Quote by Ænimus Prime
I reckon a climax to a solo needs to be exciting, and probably the best way to create excitement in music is with speed.
Dissonance works well in that situation as well. This is also present in Tornado when Friedman plays the one arp (the goofy sounding one, you'll know it when you hear it, perhaps I'll post a tab tomorrow).

Quote by Ænimus Prime
Oh and BGC, who plays "Tornado of Souls"? I don't really know of too many shredders - the only in my collection are Petrucci and Satriani!
It's a Megadeth song on the "Rust in Peace" album. Marty Friedman plays the solo, and I've heard that it was first take improv.
Quote by bangoodcharlote

what im saying is dont write music just for speed. its not everything. neither is difficulty.
Tony

New rule: Shave your pubes. The ladies love it.
^But, if you write a song for speed and difficulty, on lets say, Guitar Pro, then you decide to learn it, after you master it, wouldn't you be much better than before?
DANNY

Quote by bluesrocker101
^But, if you write a song for speed and difficulty, on lets say, Guitar Pro, then you decide to learn it, after you master it, wouldn't you be much better than before?
So essentially Mustafa goes from not knowing much about the guitar to being a sick shredder?
Quote by bangoodcharlote
So essentially Mustafa goes from not knowing much about the guitar to being a sick shredder?

No, what I said had nothing to do with that concept. Really, if you were to write a song for fun based on everything you know, and play it fast (i.e. scales up and down, if you wanted to work on sweeps, you would add a couple in there) wouldn't you improve all around?

theory is an excellent thing to know as well.
DANNY

Quote by bluesrocker101
No, what I said had nothing to do with that concept. Really, if you were to write a song for fun based on everything you know, and play it fast (i.e. scales up and down, if you wanted to work on sweeps, you would add a couple in there) wouldn't you improve all around?

theory is an excellent thing to know as well.
It would certainly improve the technical aspect of your guitar playing, which is always good. I'm not sure how much it would improve your musical ideas (certainly it could, but it might not), though you could probably come up with some interesting licks just by trying to write string-skipping etudes (because you would be doing all kinds of cool interval stuff).

Obviously, theory is good to know as well.
My two favorite solos:

GNR- November Rain (a faster one)

Journey- Who's Crying Now (not so fast really)

So I guess nothing more needs to be said at this point by me. Obviously both can be good.
Yeah, this is kind of one of those threads based on ignorance, but everyone's free
to have thier own opinions.... So, mine is:

Music is about expressing yourself. That's it. A lot of people seem to think it's a
speed challenge and that's all they seem to practice for.

You can play only a single note slowly and express yourself in a variety of ways.
But, I think you'll find that gets old quickly. You'll get bored and you'll find it places
a lot of limits on ways you can express yourself.

Technical proficiency and speed are ways of expanding your freedom of expression.
They help to open up new horizons for your soul's outlet. They are tools in your
expression toolbox. There are many other tools you can also have in your toolbox.
Everything you learn and master gives you more tools to work with and expands
your horizons. The more you know, the fewer limits are on your playing.

Personally, since I want my playing to limitless, I try and learn everything I can.
You may be happy with the ways you can express yourself and see no reason
to go beyond that. That's fine too. But, I'd get bored as my soul is always looking
for new things to do.

So, it comes down to the question: are you happy with the limits on your playing,
or do you want more?
My guitar teacher is always telling me that getting "The feel of the song" is more important than speed...I couldn't figure it out for the longest time why he wasn't impressed at how fast I could play black dog...and he told me it's the feel that's important.

That story was kinda pointless...
Slow, melodic solos don't always do a song justice, and neither does playing super fast. It all depends on the song, the feel of the song, and what the mood of the song is. If it's an upbeat, headbanging fast thrashy song, you're gonna want the same in the solo. If it's a calm piano piece, a slow melodic guitar solo works wonders (although I have heard really calming pieces with shred in them! And it works great!)

For instance, Forgotten Pt. 2 by Joe Satriani. The whole thing has a really calming and slow backing. The solo guitar starts off with just short licks and vibrato. Sound great so far! Slowly, he starts going higher and adding some faster little fills. As he reaches the higher frets, he lets go with a high bend and starts shredding, with little slower breaks. The whole thing is awesome. You can't possibly say that shreding can't sound good when it's used right.

I do agree with you to an extent. When I hear some bands with solos that you can barely distinguish any note from the other played at 300 BPM, I do agree that it sounds nasty. But you cannot categorize all shred to be like that. Eventually, alot has to with the backing track.
Alta Vera - My real life alternative rock band.
Ashen Spire - My personal metal band.

Super Mario, F-Zero & Dragonball Z covers!

PSN: whatev27

Let me ask you, does a machine like yourself ever experience fear?

Okay guys, I need some help. My brother is constantly one of those people that say

"OMG, shred is just a bunch of random notes, you don't need theory to play good, theory sucks, I listen to the notes and play melodic music, unlike uber fast shit! Shred has no feeling in it."

Arrrrgh. Help?
DANNY

Am i the only one who sees that this isnt a debate or a discussion, just a bunch of people who agree with each other?

I do agree with you do though.

The way I see it, anyone can play the guitar, but most people just plays open strings or presses down frets at random.
Once you develop some kind of technical skill, you are a guitarist. Most people here on UG are guitarists.
Being a musician is a different thing all together. Being a musician is a way of listening that very few people can. Some are born to do it, some works hard for it, and some people will never be musicians how hard they may try. In the musicians head melodies fly around like crazy, popping up now and then to become a great song. All in all, a musician can write songs with true soul. By the way, soul is very misunderstood, most people think that soul only appears in slow ballads with long notes overlapping each other, you know what i mean. I say that soul is emotion (emo) and is in most music.
The best part about (or worst depending how you see it) is that most people here will agree with what I have just said (about soul)(now you will disagree just because i said you would agree) when in their unconsious the words simply go out the other ear. Hell, im not even sure I agree with what i have written.
Member 15 of the IRON MAIDEN ARE GODS club. PM Revelations to join.

Founder of the I love nickelodeon club. PM me to join.
well. i guess my oppinion has sparked a flame to people ahaha well anyways im going to let you guys ramble on with this thread peace out
Quote by bluesrocker101
Okay guys, I need some help. My brother is constantly one of those people that say

"OMG, shred is just a bunch of random notes, you don't need theory to play good, theory sucks, I listen to the notes and play melodic music, unlike uber fast shit! Shred has no feeling in it."

Arrrrgh. Help?

How long has he played guitar?

Tell him to write a shred solo that does have feeling in it then. Also, make him read my post above . Tell him that there his feeling in it, it just takes a different form. Ever heard the "Reincarnation of Benjamin Breeg" solo? its pretty fast, but mostly legato, so it sounds happy. Make him listen to it, he will probably tell you that there is soul in it.

Also, take a fast solo, and play it slowly for him, trust me, there is a melody in it.

And tell him that there can be a very angry soul in shredding, make him that in a slow solo.
Member 15 of the IRON MAIDEN ARE GODS club. PM Revelations to join.

Founder of the I love nickelodeon club. PM me to join.
Page 1 of 2