Basically, on my amp, I want to boost 300Hz and 800Hz (or maybe 2200kHz instead) while cutting that honk at 500Hz.

I have a semi-parametric EQ on my amp (2-band), so I can boost the 800/2200Hz no problem, but I cannot both boost 300Hz and cut 500Hz.

Right now, I have it set to cut 500Hz. It sounds nice, but I think 300Hz is where a lot of the action is to allow me to cut through. If I don't cut 500Hz, the setup sounds like humming with your nose plugged.

I have an active bass with a mid-control centred at 500Hz. I turned it down to the same level as the 500Hz on my amp, and the bass lost all it's definition. I could feel it, but I just couldn't hear it. So, I boosted 500Hz on the bass and cut 500Hz on my amp (480Hz, to be exact).

My question is, could I boost 300Hz and 800/2200Hz on my amp (therefore cutting nothing) while cutting the 500Hz on my bass? Well, I know I can, but will it have the same affect as a 300Hz boost, 500Hz cut, and 800/2200Hz boost on JUST my amp (leaving the bass's amp controls the same)?

I really want to cut through the mix. If my settings aren't good, can you tell me what settings would be good for cutting (without sounding like a kazzoo)?
dude...

--------------------
-------------------
------------------
-----------------
----------------
---------------

sounds good to me, and if it doesnt give you the sound you want just play around with it
My name is Greg, use it.

Sarcastic

Angry

Hopeful
If that doesn't work and your thinking about adding an EQ pedal this pedal is great if you can follow paint by number directions and solder. My friends rave about everything they have built from them.

This is a Ross Clone 10 band EQ.

http://www.buildyourownclone.com/EQ.html
Quote by MLmaster37
well i definitely trust you *reads posts and sig*
thank you for your help

Over 30 years in the biz. If you are looking for speaker info, I have tried many over the years . So hit me up and I will try to help you younger guys and gals.
EQ PEDALS ARE YOUR FRIEND:

cheaper

better range

tone freak...
Millie, my Peavey Grind Fiver
Peavey BAM 210 350w combo amp
Sansamp Bass Driver DI
Modded Ernie Ball VP Jr.
Monster Bass Cable, 21'

Quote by NakedBassist
Welcome to bass, you'll f*cking love it
Quote by eltrentoro
ok, i know how to solve your problem:

1) unplug your bass
2) die in a slow fire

Don't be a ****ing douchebag, there's no need for that ****.
cutting through the mix invovles alot more than equlaisation
playing style, bass and amp brand also play a big part in this
but to anser your question i would think of getting hold of an eq pedal that will allow you to fine tune your settings even more
Quote by Drmckool
without having read this thread and just seeing the title since i've been not on the forum for a month i'm just going to say

"why can't we be friends"
Quote by eltrentoro

1) unplug your bass
2) die in a slow fire

Reported.
Quote by eltrentoro

1) unplug your bass
2) die in a slow fire

Wow...I don't know what to say to this.

Fitz: that plan sounds okay to me....but if all else fails, it may be worth investing in a good EQ pedal
Last.FM

Quote by Applehead
There are some things in life that are universally "good":

Sex, pizza, the smell of fresh washing and slap bass.
Alright, thanks.

The strange part is that I posted that in February and people started responding yesterday...

Anyway, thanks for the EQ pedal advice; I'll check it out, but was just worried that layering EQ's might cloud up the tone.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Quote by thefitz
Alright, thanks.

The strange part is that I posted that in February and people started responding yesterday...

All thanks to me not understanding a word you said

--------------------
-------------------
------------------
-----------------
----------------
---------------

its sad when an EQ thread gets a couple warnings.
Quote by casualty01
the RIAA can't shut us down, interpol can't shut us down. the U.S. gov't can't shut us down and CERTAINLY not YOU can shut us down.

BA in Music theory
MusicMan Bongo, SUB -> Orange Terror 1000 stack

Quote by waterproofpie
it's a UtBDan sandwich. Awwww yeah!
Oy, why don't you boost the 300 Hz, then get a compressor to deal with the hum given off by the 500 Hz?
Quote by soccermom
The only epic thing about the bass forum is Pete Wentz penis. Its Epic. Epic penis.
BASS, MT, AND PIT JUNKIE

It's kinda funny, the problem solved itself when I was more restrained with the EQ. When I boosted by about +/- 3db, the honkyness wasn't present and the tone was very clear. However, I did this months ago and still find it very strange that people started responding recently and with some hostility.

The only downside to the restrained levels is that you do lose some perceived volume, but that's a matter for a more powerful amp, but the 250W rig sits fine with my guitarist's 65W combo.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Last edited by thefitz at Jul 5, 2007,
ha ha, how come someone with a picture of pete wentz in their avatar, someone with no knowledge about live tone imo, know all that stuff about hz and frequencies? one of those little ironies.

its cool you solved the problem though but if volume ever is an issue, cant you just mic up your bass to the p.a. system? i know you run the risk of the mixers making you even quieter but its just something you could do if you play a large venue.

edit: i mean mic the bass amp up to the pa system
Oh, yeah, the amp has a DI out (and that's what I used to record on my album), so I can always double up, but I was really just concenred about my stage sound and how I hear myself.

Quote by eltrentoro

1) unplug your bass
2) die in a slow fire

I still don't know why the guy said that...
Quote by Cody_Grey102
Quote by Bumper
^Because I sexed his moms butt.

You too Bumper? I think you had it first.
Quote by MLmaster37
well i definitely trust you *reads posts and sig*
thank you for your help

Over 30 years in the biz. If you are looking for speaker info, I have tried many over the years . So hit me up and I will try to help you younger guys and gals.
Quote by thefitz
I still don't know why the guy said that...

I just saw pete wentz in your avatar and I felt like being a jerk... sorry

But you know, I just moved up to an active bass with a three-band EQ (finally), and I'm also finding that mids are where the action is at. My amp uses knobs, so I can't give you *exact* settings, but I usually set my amp to bass 3/4ths, mid 1/2, and treble 2/3rds, and then set my instrument to bass 1/2, treble 1/2 - to full (depending on the song), and mids 3/4 - full.

idk why, just works for me.

...does that make things better?
To be perfectly honest, I figured it out 2 months ago, and like I said before, it's all in the amount of boost and cut.

And about the Pete Wentz avatar (which one Best Avatar on this forum!), I'm being facetious. I'm not exactly a wallflower in this forum and am just about as anti-Pete Wentz as one can get.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
^The only reason you won best avatar is because I hadn't changed mine fromthe Fordirelifesake album to the awesomeness that it is now.
Quote by Bumper
^The only reason you won best avatar is because I hadn't changed mine fromthe Fordirelifesake album to the awesomeness that it is now.

Actually if you had the avatar you have now, I'd vote for it. I think it's ****ing brilliant. But, then again, you didn't do it, and I won it (or tied for first), so better luck next year.
Quote by Cody_Grey102