Hey, i am soon going 2 purchase my first electric and was wonder how to make a tele (telecaster standard, if it matters) more versatile. I love the tele sound but i am afriad i'll b a tad limited wen it comes to things like hard rock and stuff. Thats really the only thing keeping me away at this point. If u could help me out it'd b great thanks.
Quote by makeitcrynsing
Don't worry, teles are way more versatile than a lot of people think. Hard rock, no prob.

i played one today, it sounded awesome for blues, but when i cranked the gain, the hum was terrible, so, don't play metal with a standard tele
On a tele the tone knob is your biggest friend. You can go from bridge pickup spank to thick rock tone with a half turn.

Another cool option is to change the 3 way switch to a 4 way where one spot is bridge/neck parallel, the next spot is bridge/neck series, two totally different tones.
It's a fine line between clever and stupid.
Quote by makeitcrynsing
Don't worry, teles are way more versatile than a lot of people think. Hard rock, no prob.

^Another vote for that.

Quote by emad
jthm_guitarist
Warned for trolling!

Quote by metal4eva_22
Didn't you say that you had a stuffed fox that you would occasionally fuck?

Quote by Axelfox
It's not a fox,it's a wolf.
hmm.... but if you make it more versatile... u get like half of both worlds.

your mellowish tone will be compromised for a harder tone and the harder tone will be compromised by the guitar cos it was made to sound more towards the mellow side.

maybe buy something more versatile and then later when u think u need the tele, buy it or you could buy a tele with a bucker at the bridge. I think the deluxe. I dont know too much abt the pricing tho..
Fender American Strat.
my tele can handle metal, youll be fine stock,
My Rig:

Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Es-335 Deluxe
Line 6 Flextone 3 XL
Norman B-50
1980 Fender Acoustic

fender nashville tele. it has 3 single coil pickups. the middle pickup is a strat pickup though. meaning in positions 2 and 4 you get the "strat quack". i love mine....

though i did change the pickguard to white, that red one is fugly
Quote by yorkshireterror
Dunlop's got the right idea
Oh yeah, only took me a few months
Founder of the "I Support Robert Keeley Mods," if you like them too, put this in your sig!

i <3 breakdowns
^ I really like my nashville, but I changed the wiring so I can get the bridge and neck together. That IMO is the classic tele tone. That middle position is what Page used for all of zep 1 and the Stairway solo.
Muddy Waters Tele - Signed by the members of Canned Heat
PRS Soapbar SE - Signed by Michael Angelo Batio
H&K Statesman Quad EL-84
Dunlop Wah (modded to JH specs)
Quote by jthm_guitarist
^Another vote for that.

Really? So say i want to play something similar to maybe Aerosmith or something. Could it do that. Maybe i could get a squier tele and see how it is. Would that b ok?
Quote by Friedmaniac
^ I really like my nashville, but I changed the wiring so I can get the bridge and neck together. That IMO is the classic tele tone. That middle position is what Page used for all of zep 1 and the Stairway solo.

i thought about doing the wiring that way too, just never got around to it.

sorry if it seems i somehow got off subject
Quote by yorkshireterror
Dunlop's got the right idea
Oh yeah, only took me a few months
Founder of the "I Support Robert Keeley Mods," if you like them too, put this in your sig!

i <3 breakdowns
if its the hum thats bothering you, get some tele noiseless pickups or some seymour duncan hotrails, that'll improve your tone quite a bit. Funnily enough i am buying a standard tele soon and putting noiseless pickups in it.
Quote by Floodzone004
Really? So say i want to play something similar to maybe Aerosmith or something. Could it do that. Maybe i could get a squier tele and see how it is. Would that b ok?

get the fender tele, not the squier
yea the tele is actually really really versitile. im actually considering buying a lil 59' for my bridge and getting a coil tap on it just for some more options, but it's superior without it.
I'd go and get a Carvin TL60, 2 humbuckers with coil splitters for both pickups...I think it's the most versatile tele shaped guitar I've ever heard in my life.
ok, im kinda changing my tune now. Do u think i could put like a SD JB in the bridge and coil tap it and it still have the tele sound?