I have heard from a few people around here that it is not worth it to upgrade the pickups on a guitar with an agathis body because it will not really sound any better. Is this true or is it just more of the common agathis piss take that many people seem inclined to do here? I was considering eventually putting an EMG or somethin really metal in the bridge of an ibanez grx20. Bad idea? Good idea? Any thoughts would be appreciated.
I think that active emgs dont sound the best in agathis bodies. Generally EMGS are really picking on the wood type, but i may be wrong.
Gear:
1965 Fender Mustang not a RI
Squier Vintage Modified Jazz Bass

Peavey Classic 50

Agathis isn't bad. Tone is totally subjective.

I wouldn't put EMG's in it simply because it's a cheap guitar, not because it's Agathis. Just save for another guitar.
Well it's both true and not true.

Most people can't really tell the difference in wood type and what-not, but after you've been playing awhile and have tried many instruments, you'll be able to differentiate. Agathis isn't *terrible* sounding (like plywood) but there are just better woods out there.

It's generally a good rule of thumb to not have your pickups be worth more than your guitar...
Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
Quote by SublimeGuitar
I think that active emgs dont sound the best in agathis bodies. Generally EMGS are really picking on the wood type, but i may be wrong.

well, im only considering passive humbuckers and it doesnt have to be EMG...Perhaps duncans...I'm no expert on pickups. Recommendations are welcome.
I played a bunch of Jackson, Ibanez and the LTD M100FM all in the $200-300 range and the Agathis LTD sounded and played the best with a great feeling neck. I may go get one.
Well what you should do is become as much of an expert on tone/pickups/EQ'ing that you can.

Too many people on these forums just jump on the bandwagon and buy/do whatever people tell them to.

Are you unhappy with your tone?

What amp do you have?
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
Quote by Pacifica112J
Agathis isn't bad. Tone is totally subjective.

I wouldn't put EMG's in it simply because it's a cheap guitar, not because it's Agathis. Just save for another guitar.

well, my next guitar, which i probably will get in like a year will be a ~$400 Ibanez and I figure, something like a duncan invader would probably be better than the pups Ibanez puts in its $400 guitars, so if anything I can just take the duncan out of the cheap Ibby and swap it with the pickup in the expensive Ibby, leaving me with an amazing guitar and a good guitar, rather than a very good guitar and a cheap guitar..get my logic? If not, just call me retarded and we'll move on.
Quote by LordBattlecrisp
well, my next guitar, which i probably will get in like a year will be a ~$400 Ibanez and I figure, something like a duncan invader would probably be better than the pups Ibanez puts in its $400 guitars, so if anything I can just take the duncan out of the cheap Ibby and swap it with the pickup in the expensive Ibby, leaving me with an amazing guitar and a good guitar, rather than a very good guitar and a cheap guitar..get my logic? If not, just call me retarded and we'll move on.

If you haven't "gotten to know" the pickups in the Ibanez that you haven't bought yet (IE - Played it extensively) then I don't see the logic in wanting to replace them already.

Put your money in your pocket .
Quote by utsapp89
i dunno, i think ima just ride out these powersound pups till its time for a new guitar.

Thanks for your comments folks
Quote by LordBattlecrisp

I see.