im looking at getting either one of the combo versions of these, i just dont know which one yet. I play thrash metal / shredding type stuff for the most part, but some times I do use clean. So can anyone tell me which one is better for whats listed above?
Well... I would say triple XXX because IMO it has a better lead tone and is brighter (which works well for thrash). Of course I prefer the 5150 but in your case I would say XXX.

Also, the XXX has better cleans since the 5150s are kinda sketchy (but not as bad as word of mouth has made them) without time consuming EQing.

EDIT: The Triple XXX's cleans are not anything to write home about either, but there better than the 5150.
Quote by Spl!nTeRgu!tAr
im getting the C-1 Hellraiser Baritone and replacing the EMG 81 with my Zakk Wylde EMG 81

****in great dude
I just bought the 6505 212 combo and absolutely love it. I play many different styles, from blues to rock to metal.

The cleans on the combos are very good compared to the heads.

Plus Reverb.

Go 5150/6505.
Peavey 6505 212 Combo
Agile interceptor Pro 727
Schecter Hellraiser C1 - FR
PRS SE Custom
Fender MIA Standard Strat
Digitech GNX3000
Try the amps out before you choose one.
Quote by Kensai
Racism... against the human race? Sure, go ahead
Quote by painless6505
I just bought the 6505 212 combo and absolutely love it. I play many different styles, from blues to rock to metal.

The cleans on the combos are very good compared to the heads.

Plus Reverb.

Go 5150/6505.

Combos don't sound like the heads. Well... they do, but not really. If you know what I mean.
Quote by Spl!nTeRgu!tAr
im getting the C-1 Hellraiser Baritone and replacing the EMG 81 with my Zakk Wylde EMG 81

****in great dude
The 5150 combos are biased hotter from the factory than the heads, I've heard.
RIP Jasmine You.

Lieutenant of the 7-string/ERG Legion

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
5150, the XXX is way to bright.
Member #4 of the iPods Suck Balls Club.
PM Oblivious16037 to join!

Quote by basssoldier
when i was 7 i saw my mom naked while taking a sh** it was pretty sick cuz shes fat....

Quote by Soul Power
Your my hero dementedpuppy.

Last.fm
POOP
First off.

No VS. threads.

Secondly, not to sound rude, but there are TONS of threads EXACTLY like this. Try searching for it. Youll find out more that way.
XXX is wayyyyyy more rounded. They have fantastic cleans, crunchy gain, and thrash lead tones...

You want Mesa type tone? slap in some JJ 6l6's... you want Marshall JCM 800 type tone? slap in some GV EL34's. The possibilities are endless!

I've played around with the 5150/6505 at guitarcenter and still for the life of me can't figure out what all the hype is about. The grainy-ness of them is horrible and the cleans are useless. I guess the people recommending the 5150 never played the XXX?

I own the XXX combo 212 and that is hands down the better amp. It does everything!

Go buy a XXX, you won't be disappointed!
"I don't want to be hostile. I don't want to be dismal.
But I don't want to rot in an apathetic existence either.
"
-Maynard

| |