I was looking around at basses, in particularly the LTD B-155, and they have soapbars for pickups? What are these and what do they sound like?
if you want me to explain it more than here it goes: a soapbar is a humbucker cased in a pickup case that looks like a soapbar (well not really but you get the point?). there are several different kinds of soapbars and its common to see them on 5-6 string basses like the Ibanez SR505 and SR506 basses.
Gear: 08 Fender MIA Jazz bass,
American Peavey Millenium Plus 4,
GK 1001RBII,
Mesa/Boogie RR215,
Schecter C-1 Classic.
EMG is famous for their soapbars, which come standard on some basses (both of my Deans came standard with EMG soapbars).

Basically, soapbar pickups are pickups which look slightly meatier than J pickups, but aren't quite humbuckers. They're usually thinner than humbuckers and are always covered. Ibanez uses a lot of soapbars, as well as other brands.
Back to the classic avatar.

Quote by KISSguitarist
You are the best writer ever Graybass. Sig me for that. But i love you! You should make a book!

Quote by Phil_Bass_Boy
Jesus christ, your avatar is the best I have seen in my life.

Quote by mh400nt
Graybass_20x6 has a better avatar than you
Soapbar is the shape. Underneath the soapbar, you can have single coils, stacked coils, true humbucker, etc.
haha
Quote by deluxity
something like this i suposse

That's what soapbars are, but never mind that, what kind of bass is it?
Soapbars are just pickup covers that can be veriace(sp?) sizes. So, depending on the measurements of it you can narrow your idea of what the pickup could be.
Bass is my life.
Quote by MetalUpTheAss
Soapbar is the shape. Underneath the soapbar, you can have single coils, stacked coils, true humbucker, etc.

Exactly.

Guy above me, it's spelled "various".

Quote by MetalUpTheAss
Sounds to me like an excuse.

"Honey, I've got to buy a new bass! This diamond is made of a dead guy! I made him a promise!"

Most Bitter/Cynical member of the Bass Militia. PM DinkyDaisy to join.
bartolini also makes nice soapbars
Gear: 08 Fender MIA Jazz bass,
American Peavey Millenium Plus 4,
GK 1001RBII,
Mesa/Boogie RR215,
Schecter C-1 Classic.
Quote by Scourge441
That's what soapbars are, but never mind that, what kind of bass is it?

Ken Smith.
haha
Man, I'm not a big boutique bass guy, but that Ken Smith is fruckin' beautiful!
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Quote by thefitz
Man, I'm not a big boutique bass guy, but that Ken Smith is fruckin' beautiful!

Funnily, I'm a relatively big boutique fan, and I don't like Ken Smith looks.

Weird guy, I know.

And to add to the weirdness, I don't like 'em cuz they look too "fat" to me for some reason, yet my favorite Ken Smith ever was... a 7 string bass!

Yeah, I don't get me either.
haha