Page 1 of 2
I will be getting my student loans in a few months for school. I will have roughly $5000 extra that I will be using to buy new gear. I have been playing 6 years, im 21 now and have been in a few punk bands that have done real well, but im moving to LA and am going to purse music for real. I play punk mostly, hard rock, metal, ect..

I need a new amp, and would like to get one more guitar. Right now I have a Gibson Les paul and a fender tele MIA. Im looking into getting an esp or a more high end les paul.

Amp wise the Mesa triple rec. has been a dream for years and have recorded with them many times. I am also fond of the jcm 800 which I have have recorded with also, its just not as versitile.

Im just looking for more suggestions. i would prefer something I can easily get in the united states, but will order it if its the last resort.

I dont use or need effects wither.
F)(K the Triple rec. 800 all the way.
Quote by Spl!nTeRgu!tAr
im getting the C-1 Hellraiser Baritone and replacing the EMG 81 with my Zakk Wylde EMG 81

****in great dude
Quote by Atrius
ebay a triple rec.

since Im going to be spending so much i would rather pay more for new. its a big investment, but i hope it will pay off in the end.
If you want the ultimate Mesa, check out the Dual Rectifier Road King head + cab. Amazing. All the tones of the Solo heads plus a ton more.
Quote by joining_heads
F)(K the Triple rec. 800 all the way.

+1

Also, I DO suggest gettiing a new esp...get a custom made one or just a regualr esp.

Esp eclipse II ftw?
Co-Founder of the Orange Revolution Club

-Esp/Ltd Ec-1000 w/ BKP Mules
-2-channel Titan
-Oversized Bogner 2x12 Cabinet
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-T.C. Electronic Nova Delay
-Larrivee D-03R
Last edited by Jinskee at Feb 3, 2007,
Road King FTW
PRS Custom 22
Epiphone LP Custom
Ibanez Artcore AFS75T

Fender PT-100 Tuner
Ibanez WD-7 Weeping Demon
Digitech Tone Driver
MXR Phase 100
Ernie Ball VP Jr Volume Pedal

Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Road King
'69 Fender Super Bassman
for the win, lol
PRS Custom 22
Epiphone LP Custom
Ibanez Artcore AFS75T

Fender PT-100 Tuner
Digitech Tone Driver
MXR Phase 100

'69 Fender Super Bassman
i think everyone on the forum will hate me for saying this,

but i find the jcm 900 to be a wicked amp, try that sucker out! spread the word!....
http://www.theweekendkids.com

Gibson Les Paul Studio w/dirtyfingers pickups
Gibson Joan Jett Melody Maker
VOX ac30 head
Marshall 1960 4x12 cab
Fender Hot Rod Deville
Quote by De Amazing Blob
^^I agree JCMs are wicked, but if you have $5000 I'd think you could do a little better...

Exactly, this will be an amp that will stay with me for a long time, im gonna go all out with it.
Yeah I'd definately say go for a Mesa/Boogie Road King. If you know about it, great. If not, its basically a Dual Rectifier Solo head on steroids. 4 channels (3 and 4 are the rectifier distortion channels), better cleans, 6L6's and EL34's with the ability to choose which ones you use... 50, 100, or 120 watts selectable.. reverb.. 2 footswitchable effects loops... great amp.

http://www.mesaboogie.com/Product_Info/Rectifier_Series/roadking/roadking.htm
PRS Custom 22
Epiphone LP Custom
Ibanez Artcore AFS75T

Fender PT-100 Tuner
Digitech Tone Driver
MXR Phase 100

'69 Fender Super Bassman
Quote by De Amazing Blob
^^I agree JCMs are wicked, but if you have $5000 I'd think you could do a little better...

money is overated, i mean, just cause it costs more doesnt mean itll sound the way you want it too...but ya, a 100 dollar ss combo will suck for sure...bwahah....

plus, if he wanted to get a wicked guitar too,

plus plus, id buy a nice rack for the amp as well, get a nice power conditioner, compressor, the works.

A JCM900 head, an orange cab with v30s!!!, a nice guitar, and a nice rack system will set you back some good dollas, and itll get you some pro freakin sounds for sure,...if that floats your boat that is,

or you can buy a bogner!
http://www.theweekendkids.com

Gibson Les Paul Studio w/dirtyfingers pickups
Gibson Joan Jett Melody Maker
VOX ac30 head
Marshall 1960 4x12 cab
Fender Hot Rod Deville
Yep,

5000... basically, any amp except Dumbles....

What style do you play ??

Metal: Check out VHT Pitbulls, Diezel VH4 and Diezel Herberts..
Hard Rock: Check out Soldanos, Splawns (can handle uber-gain too), Bad Cats, Cornfords..
Cleaner Stuff: Dr. Z amps..... nuff said.......

I really suggest the Cornfords......nice sh1t !!
Tone is all ...... well probably 75%, in your fingers.
The rest depends on your wallet's thickness !!

Keep the faith, baby!!
^^

yeap

I was thinking of suggesting to him some boutique stuff and others...
Just check out these if you can get a hold of...

Bogner - Uberschall
Peavey - 5150/6505 and JSX
Engl - Screamer, Powerball, Fireball
Marshall - JVM and JCM
Laney - GH50L and GH100L
Diezel - VH4 and Herbert
VHT - Pitbulls

other brands:
Soldano
Rivera
Orange
Randall
Hughes & Kettner

or just try to workout on a guitar shop every amp they've got...

Guitar wise, DEAN RAZORBACK CUSTOM V!!!

You know you want it

By the way, surely your students loans are for school stuff? How do you have 5 grand left over?
~ My Gear ~

Gibson Les Paul Studio in Alpine White with EMG 81/60
Fender Stratocaster
Marshall DSL401
Boss Metal Zone MT-2
Boss Super Overdrive SD-1
Boss Noise Suppressor NS-2
Digitech RP80
Samson Wireless
Fender Champions Series 30
+1 for the diezel herbert or VH4.
Also check out the soldano SLO.
Main rig:
ESP Horizon FR-II
ENGL Invader 150
Mesa Traditional cab w/ v30's
ISP Decimator Pro Rack G
BBE Sonic Maximizer 482i

Back up rig:
ESP Eclipse STBC
LTD EC-1000 VB
Framus Cobra modded
^Wow, you're really in love with that amp, aren't you ??

Personally, I'd pick the Diezel Herbert if I were you !!
Tone is all ...... well probably 75%, in your fingers.
The rest depends on your wallet's thickness !!

Keep the faith, baby!!
^haha, yeah sure am

suits me so well, im now getting a Silver Jub. 2x12 it seems now, may make a new thread on it, if all goes to plan

Herbert though, best amp ever made!
well, these guys are going on about amps, so Ill do guitars:
If I was you....
1. A new Gibson
2. Try to find some old used Burnys, they are japanese copys of gibsons pre-lawsuit, and Ive talked to MANY people that prefer them, so if you want you could pick one up for 500ish dollars, and Save about 1000 dollars in the process( not like you are on a tight budget anyway, just throwing that out there)
3. Paul Reed Smith, yes, alot of people say they are overpriced, but for a hard-rock sound, its def. the way to go!! Personally If I was you, the PRS is the way to go, like a custom-22
4. A custom CARVIN. Cant go wrong, and its a total custom made to order for you!

Well, there is just a few suggestions by me, and I hope all goes well living the dream!!!
GOOD LUCK
Founder of the Trombone>Sax>all club, pm me my fellow 'boners!!

we hit harder than anyone else. Ug's lacrosse club, pm me or hrdcorelaxplaya to join!
Mark IV or Roadking and your dreams will come true.

Or look at some boutique amps. Nothing beats a nice little handwired amp.
Sent from my iPad.
Thanks everybody. I have extra money for the student loans/grants because my school is paid for. my parents are paying because im going to a state college as opposed to a uc, so my tuition is only around $2500 for the year.

i play punk mostly. I dont really use the traditional "punk tone" ive known for a heavier tone along the lines of pennywise i guess.

I have alot of reasearch to do know, haha. The road king looks amazing and i actually forgot about soldano amps, even though they sound great.

Guitars, im leaning towards the esp ec or another les paul.

I appreciate everybodys opinion. This will be a major purchase so thats why Im going all out. i want to buy everything new regardless of price Might as well go all or nothing.
I think the Mesa Dual Recto is a great amp, if you havn't tried it, do it Guitar-wise A Gibson Les Paul or an ESP Eclipse I. It's really up to you, but with those two guitars you almost can't go wrong as long it's not a Gibson LP Studio or Junior.
CLICK ME!

Gibson Les Paul Classic '05
JEH Custom Superstrat '07
Rickenbacker 480 '73
Marshall 6100LM head '95
Engl E412SS 4*12" cab '02
Line6 DL-4 '07
Ibanez TS9 '08
Dunlop Crybaby from hell '07
Boss CE-2 '79
Quote by lil-matee
what is a solo?
Quote by bob311
4. A custom CARVIN. Cant go wrong, and its a total custom made to order for you!

*Ding ding ding!*

Don't listen to anybody who says to get a guitar that isn't a Carvin/Independent luthier-made.

Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
^I also agree on a custom Carvin or some other custom, but I suppose it depends on whether he wants to spend more on a guitar or an amp; A Diezel Herbert new will run you about $4100, I think, which wouldn't leave you enough for a custom guitar... just saying.
Mesa's are waay overpriced(so are marshalls but not as much). I would go with the JCM800 or 900 and get a Gibson Les paul custom or somethin sweet like that. Make sure you get a attentuator with that JCM cause when you crank it up for that sweet tube distortion, its gonna be loud! too loud for medium gigs

EDIT: Scracth the les paul, get a carvin there really good. forgot about those
Quote by rooster456
Guitars will bring girlfriends. Girlfriends won't bring guitars.

Because footstools are cool UG's Classical Guitarists
pm Marmoseti or Confusius to join
Just my input, but I'd ebay for a Triple Rectifier. The older ones seem to sound better than the newer ones.
Quote by bluespunkmetal
Yep,

5000... basically, any amp except Dumbles....

What style do you play ??

Metal: Check out VHT Pitbulls, Diezel VH4 and Diezel Herberts..
Hard Rock: Check out Soldanos, Splawns (can handle uber-gain too), Bad Cats, Cornfords..
Cleaner Stuff: Dr. Z amps..... nuff said.......

I really suggest the Cornfords......nice sh1t !!

+1, there are loads of great amps available at that price.

though, i thought student loans were for living on? and also, I suspect that if you're recorded many times with a recto, you probably know more than most of the guys round here (including me).
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
anyone who could afford a dumble and does own one is most likely to be a stuck up dick who could never show the world how great it sounds cause theyd never take it out of "the amp room" in their mansion
^agreed
Founder of the Trombone>Sax>all club, pm me my fellow 'boners!!

we hit harder than anyone else. Ug's lacrosse club, pm me or hrdcorelaxplaya to join!
I'm into Carvin guitars as well, but these amp suggestions are ALL over the place.

If you really like the Mesa sound, that might be your dream amp. Rectos are really recordable - and they tend to sit well in the mix (generally speaking and compared to a lot of other popular amps), cons: I think they lack at lower volume playing. But grab an attenuator and that's gone, the Roadking may be YOUR amp of choice.

Also you may want the JVM. Play it, even though it is a Marshall ("may be the best amp Marshall has made in 20 years") - I haven't played it enough to know yet (as in I haven't played it, but I've seen it played )

I don't think a VHT is what you want, you may like the Diezel, may be too gain oriented for you I'm not sure exactly what you want - same with Bogner, the XTC might be something of interest you, but lacks in versatility for sure and the price? bleh, try and be more specific and you can be helped
-Mike
Quote by Dave_Mc
+1, there are loads of great amps available at that price.

though, i thought student loans were for living on? and also, I suspect that if you're recorded many times with a recto, you probably know more than most of the guys round here (including me).

Not my student loans, Ill be working also. I have recorded with one plenty, it was the Stiletto. But for the price im just looking for other options. it wouldnt make sense to me to make a major purchase without looking into all options.

And to the other guy talking about mantions. I dont live in a mansion. Im not a spoiled bitch. And yes, I CAN PLAY quite well actually. Just because I play punk doesnt mean I dont play other styles.
Well the Stiletto and the Rectifier series amps are voiced differently (EL-34 vs 6L6).. But if the Triple Rectifier has been your dream amp, then the Road King would probably be perfect. Still, I would try out as many of the other brands listed in the thread as possible.
PRS Custom 22
Epiphone LP Custom
Ibanez Artcore AFS75T

Fender PT-100 Tuner
Digitech Tone Driver
MXR Phase 100

'69 Fender Super Bassman
Page 1 of 2