ok so im tired of my Squire, everyone has the same one, and i want a guitar of better quality. im tryin to talk my dad into getting a new guitar. my options are to try to get a Fender (at guitar center they are $400+ on the website). or a Jackson or Ibanez, which the ones im looking at are like $300-
Gear:

Guitars:
Takamine Gs330S
Fender Standard Stratocaster
Ibanez RG3EXQM1
Epiphone SG G-310

Amps:
Crate Palomino V16

Pedals
Ibanez TS9DX
Line 6 Tonecore Uber Metal
i think the Fenders are the best value.

but if you play metal or heavier stuff, Jackson or Ibanez would be better
Dissonance is Bliss

Signal Chain:
Carvin CT-4
Ibanez TS-9
Carvin Quad-X
TC Electronics G-Major
Mesa/Boogie 2:90
Ear Candy BuzzBomb

Member #4 of the Carvin Club
what about both metal and rock/blues?
Gear:

Guitars:
Takamine Gs330S
Fender Standard Stratocaster
Ibanez RG3EXQM1
Epiphone SG G-310

Amps:
Crate Palomino V16

Pedals
Ibanez TS9DX
Line 6 Tonecore Uber Metal
Quote by crust_punk
Ibanez.
IMO, most of them sound great for any genre.

I dont think theyre very versetile. They sound good for metal, and hard rock but for the softer stuff they dont quite cut it. If you want thicker heiver tones along with blues, good cleans, softer rock. Go with a fender fat strat.
Founder of the EHX Users Guild
My Photography

Quote by Kyle-Rehm
Please don't tell me I'm the only one that clicked this thread thinking I would learn how to make my guitar sound like a grizzly bear.
Quote by soul_power
I dont think theyre very versetile. They sound good for metal, and hard rock but for the softer stuff they dont quite cut it. If you want thicker heiver tones along with blues, good cleans, softer rock. Go with a fender fat strat.

Well, as with every other guitar brand out there, some models are, some aren't.
In my opinion, an Ibanez can handle blues much better than a Fender can handle metal.
Of course, there are exeptions, and modifications that can be done to each guitar.
Fender man
u know malmsteen plays metal with a fender
so i guess it works
but i play blues rock
its the shit.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
seriously go to a local guitar shop or guitar center play all the guitars your considering and maybe a few you hadnt considered in that price range then pick the one that you like most and suits your styles best. Other people's opinions shouldn't determine what guitar you like and purchase. For the most part you'll end up with a decent guitar with okay pickups.....so long as its one of the the 3 your considering (fender, ibanez, and jackson). You might also take a look at Epiphone.

Pretty much anything you get will top your squier in that price range except maybe a crappy BC RICH. Personally since you not gunna get much from a name brand id pick up a guitar made of great tone wood body and neck from rondomusic.net for that price. The 300-400 dollar guitars have had amazing reviews. I picked up an SX HSH single cutaway for 170 made of mahogany and maple neck. It has decent hardware but the pickups are nothing special ( i planned on upgrading from the start). But the guitar is a farcry from the squier and costed a mere portion of a fender or ibanez.
NEW GEAR:
Ibanez RG7420
Schecter CSH-1 Semi Hollowbody- W/ Duncans
Roland Microcube
B52 AT112 60 watt
Monster Cables

STOLEN:
Deluxe Double Fat Strat- Pewter
Gibson SG- w/ SD Invader
Line 6 Flextone II w/floorboard

Seconded, but also MrDeuce has a very good point.
21st Century Digital Boy
Quote by ECistheBest
Fender man
so i guess it works
but i play blues rock
its the shit.

malmsteen doesnt play metal...
i love my fender.
and you can always get pickups that help it towards metal if you play metal, but if you play everything including metal, then the fender is the way to go. its an all around guitar.
Quote by pacoasterrider
which is more important

a better metal tone
or a better blues tone
?

Depends on your own musical preference, you mindless person >_>
Quote by Serendipity
Depends on your own musical preference, you mindless person >_>

I think he was asking the threadstarter which was more important to him
Guitars
ESP LTD EC-1000 w/EMGs
Squire Showmaster tuned to D standard

Amps
Laney Hardcore MXD65 (for sale)
Harley Benton 212V

Pedals
Boss DS-1
Boss NS-2
Boss TU-3
Boss CE-5
Morley bad horsie 2

Next to buy
New amp
Quote by gjmmh123
I think he was asking the threadstarter which was more important to him

Re-read it, you're right. Sorry, I'm hungover
Quote by ECistheBest
Fender man
so i guess it works
but i play blues rock
its the shit.

malmsteen doesnt play metal, i think the term they use is neo-classical shred

but its definatly not metal
gear:
fender mim telecaster w/ some extra stuff
Vox Ad50vt
Vox V847 Wah
Boss OS-2
Keeley Boss DS-1 Ultra
Electro-Harmonix Big Muff Pi USA
MXR Phase 90
Boss CH-1
Your amp has way more to do with your tone than your guitar. You can play any genre with any guitar.
Quote by ECistheBest
Fender man
so i guess it works
but i play blues rock
its the shit.

but yngwie uses noiseless vintage(or something like that) pick ups, 10 times better thatn the mexican strat pickups

the bes option would be the strat and put a pickup woth a higher output in the bridge so you can get a better metal tone
I'd say for a Fender Fat Strat, possibly HSS, but what ever suits your tastes. Ask to try them out, and you'll see what you like better.
Quote by BirdHouse
malmsteen doesnt play metal...

what does he play then? id say metal personally but i dont listen to him loads
Quote by fredthecat
Your amp has way more to do with your tone than your guitar. You can play any genre with any guitar.

This is true up to a point, although trying to play metal on un-shielded paralel connected single coils (ie classic strat) isn't the greatest sound. The gain brings out all the buzzing and humming.

However you can play blues on an Ibanez with the right amp. I got some damned good tones today running one into a TSL combo. I was just chatting to the guy in the shop and I asked what a Wizard neck actually was. He put a very shred oriented guitar into my hands and I kind of liked it. The strings were low and soft, and the same height above the fretboard all the way down. I didn't have to press down on the strings, I just kind of rested my fingers on them, and they fretted clean - no buzz.

Not being a shredder (or having a pick) , I made up some blues licks, attempted some John Lee Hooker badly, played a Tracy Chapman song and finished off with some Clapton fingerstyling. Hardly what the guitar was made for but now I want one.
Quote by The devil at the crossroads
E|-------------------------------------------1--
B|-----------------------------------1--4--
G|-------------------------1-3-4--
D|------------------1-3----
A|--------1-2-3----
E|-1-4-----

Just move it around the fretboard
Quote by deluxity

but yngwie uses noiseless vintage(or something like that) pick ups, 10 times better thatn the mexican strat pickups

the bes option would be the strat and put a pickup woth a higher output in the bridge so you can get a better metal tone

haha thats what i did for mine :p
fender hot noiseless pickups are what i got
yingwie uses his own dimarzio or something i heard.
mexican made and indonesia or china made stuff u gotta hot rod the pickups.
japanese made and american made, don't touch'em.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Quote by deluxity

he uses dimarzio
When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.
-Jimi Hendrix