I turned on the TV to see Fall Out Boy playing on MTV. So I left it there for a few seconds when I see the bassist throw his guitar to some unknown stage-hand and pick up a microphone. I assumed there would be no more bass for the rest of the song and he just wanted to sing for a bit. Then I noticed the guy he threw it at was playing the bass...

So I guess the guy just wanted to let the crowd touch him and everything because his audience is a bunch of teenage girls who all think he's 'soo h0tt LOL!!1'

This live 'concert' seemed like more of an act. Then again live shows have been act's forever, but to stop playing your instrument? That just seems odd. Do you think image is becoming more important than music?

This is not a FOB or pop music bashing thread, just asking a question.
Quote by Godzilla1969
I love you, Muphin. You have great taste in music.

Quote by Pacifica112J
Muphin > You

The Cooperation
It has always been more important for some bands. That, however, doesn't make it any better.
For these things give thanks at nightfall:The day gone, a guttered torch,A sword tested, the troth of a maid,Ice crossed, ale drunk.-The Hávamál
lol, I was just discussing this with zeppelinpage4. I believe that todays music is based solely off image and that no-one really cares what the music sounds like anymore. It pisses me off.
Seattle Seahawks

Quote by chookiecookie
i feel like you have an obsession with aubrey plaza.

Quote by WCPhils
at least we can all agree SGstriker is the woooooooooooooooooooooorst
for some bands image is important

but not for Dear And The Headlights (THE BEST BAND EVER)
check them out
myspace.com/dearandtheheadlights

but fall out boy blows balls
but they're catchy
so it sucks..cuz i dont want to listen but a little part of me likes it (like the part that enjoys throwing up- dane cook)
image has always been important. even beathoven got all uptight about his image. but it's never been more important than the music, and it still isnt.
I've seen emo-er.

Member of the "I am a Fan of Gaycore Wrestle-Metal" Fanclub.
no its not. fall out boy is, because there a pop punk band, all pop punk bands are more about image. what pisses me off is when people think all current music is bad because it doesnt come and slap them in the face
F*ck You MTV

Pussy Cat dolls arent here for their musical abilities lets leave it at that..
||=(|''''|''''|''''|''''|)>-----
Quote by that1l)ude
no its not. fall out boy is, because there a pop punk band, all pop punk bands are more about image. what pisses me off is when people think all current music is bad because it doesnt come and slap them in the face

it also pisses me off when people say pop punk is all about image

and i dont think FOB is about the image, maybe the bassist but not the whole band
"There are millions of people in the world, and none of those people are an extra. They're all leads in their own stories."
<//////>~
You can thank music videos for this.
Click for charity.

Pidgeot of the Pokemon Club
PM Calebrocker to join.

92% of UGers jump on annoying bandwagons. Don't put this in your sig if you're one of the 8% with an opinion.
Quote by Muphin

any thread having to do with fall out boy is going to become a bashing thread, because they suck.
i say it's about image with them. i can't stand them, they don't even care about music. i like some pop punk, but i hate fall out boy with a burning passion.
Yup it sucks but I guess that's what it has come to, I don't even refer to it as music, whatever happened to the emotion. There are good bands but honostly more and more bands just suck cause all they want is image and the main crown of people give into and like it. Pissess me off too, but hey I got amazing music to listen to so i'm not caring.

+1 to SGstriker.
High Cardinal of Zeppelinism PM TheHeartbreaker to join and
"Co-Founder (and Yoda) of the Star Wars Universe. PM me or SethMegadefan to join.

' " The last enemy that shall be destroyed is death"...'-p.269-Deathly Hallows
Quote by Magero
Its the mainstream. It sucks, Face it.

exactly. please don't judge all music by what you see on MTV. image has always been important when trying to make a lot of money by reaching a lot of people, and that is what the mainstream is about. At that level, music is a business, afterall...

but even on the indie and/or underground level, image still matters to a small degree. I really wouldn't care to see a good-looking band if their music was terrible (unless the band was called The Rachael Rays, and they were all naked)... but at the same time, if I'm paying money to see you, at least look like you care. (unless your name is daniel johnston... then you can get away with looking like a complete failure... and playing like one, too... because you're awesome anyway.)
Banging on a trash can
Drumming on a street light
Yeah man, I think if you're good at what you play, you should be elligable for an image, but if you suck, then you shouldn't be able to have one, just so people know before they listen to you :P
Quote by Jimmyyoung
F*ck You MTV

Pussy Cat dolls arent here for their musical abilities lets leave it at that..

PCD are strippers who wh0re the latest technology.
yo.

I BELIEVE
well the image is what they use to sell their "music" to the kiddies that watch mtv. those sheeple can't really discern good music from bad anyway so they judge based on what they see.

all those bands are interested in is money so of course their image is more important.
Originally posted by bassist90

Thank you Assassin_Itachi, you truly are a great man
i think some bands on mtv are good (arctic monkeys, taking back sunday, the fray, weezer (though i dont like the new stuff), james blunt, the killers, wolfmother)

gwen stefani is talaneted...though i dont listen to her

but more of the bands (FOB, MCR) they know they suck so thats why their image is important to them b/c as long as some little 7th grader likes them its alright
Quote by blynd_snyper
it's all about image nowadays. look at hiphop people for example 50 cent. they actually make 'music' about their image (e.g. all his songs about
himself)

I honestly think what you said sums up this debate. I couldn't agree more.
epic7734
You guys are so right! I can't stand FOB fags! and they call their music "Rock n' Roll" lmfao...
you need to go a matches show. they get so fucking into it, and their singer/rythm guitarist throws his guitar to the guitar tech towards the end of the last song and they both rock fucking hard. the difference is, they make it awesome. especially when your in the front row of the club.
Oh Shit!
I guess Image is important to some bands more than the music, i guess for an instance i think image may have been as important as the music in KISS even though some of their music is good alot of their shows were based on image and stage act, but i feel that your image should be able come through your music and then you should, if you were true to yourself, be able to also look like what your music sounds like, as long as you enjoy it.
Quote by Muphin
I turned on the TV to see Fall Out Boy playing on MTV. So I left it there for a few seconds when I see the bassist throw his guitar to some unknown stage-hand and pick up a microphone. I assumed there would be no more bass for the rest of the song and he just wanted to sing for a bit. Then I noticed the guy he threw it at was playing the bass...

So I guess the guy just wanted to let the crowd touch him and everything because his audience is a bunch of teenage girls who all think he's 'soo h0tt LOL!!1'

This live 'concert' seemed like more of an act. Then again live shows have been act's forever, but to stop playing your instrument? That just seems odd. Do you think image is becoming more important than music?

Dude I seriously wish this was something we could write an essay about when I take the SAT's or something similar.

First of all MTV is the biggest turd t.v. has taken.
As for your question, it probably is becoming more important. Well of course if your gonna be on tv then you might as well look your best. But to be in a band just because you look good ? Thats not music. Thats America's next top model.
Quote by metaldud536
Dude I seriously wish this was something we could write an essay about when I take the SAT's or something similar.

First of all MTV is the biggest turd t.v. has taken.
As for your question, it probably is becoming more important. Well of course if your gonna be on tv then you might as well look your best. But to be in a band just because you look good ? Thats not music. Thats America's next top model.

No Thats called 80's Hair Metal....tehe ha ha