How does one go about doing this? I am interested in purchasing a peavy 5150 for some extreme distortion, and keeping my hot rod for the cleans.

Is there a special box that needs to be bought for connection to two amps? Is it footswitchable? Ease of use? Anyone with experince?

Ibnaez RG1570 Prestige
Maton EM225C Acoustic
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Digitech DF-7 Distortion Pedal
Just an A/B switch, it has one input for your guitar and 2 outputs, one for each amp and to change from one to the other just stomp on it.

EDIT: something like this
if your any good at wiring and you have a electronics outlet store near you,you can make one extremly cheap,theres guides all over the net for them
Quote by Tiksi
people who think that the tuning peg things have to be straight. I went to the bathroom once, I come back, and my friend detunified my guitar, and then asked why it sounded weird. ARGG!!!

Also try an A-B-Y switch they allow you to play one or the other or both..
My Gear
Fender Strat ('97American Lonestar HSS)
Ibanez RGTHRG1
B-52 AT100
Marshall1960A Cab
Marshall 1960B Cab
A/B, A/B/Y switches are pretty cheap, and they are exactly what you need.

but ya, if you want to takea crack at building your own, they are easy to make, and you can make a fun box for them, booyah,

Gibson Les Paul Studio w/dirtyfingers pickups
Gibson Joan Jett Melody Maker
VOX ac30 head
Marshall 1960 4x12 cab
Fender Hot Rod Deville
The ones with one buffered and one isolated output with a transformer, gold relays and a phase switch are a lot better and quieter than the passive ones. When using two amps together, there can be earth loop problems. Transformers fix that. It's a great idea to splash out on this kinda thing. The Lehle and Tonebone ones are great.
These go to eleven...
Yeah that would be one thing for sure, it has to not affect my tone. I hope these things have true bypass.
Ibnaez RG1570 Prestige
Maton EM225C Acoustic
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Digitech DF-7 Distortion Pedal
There's another method to do this same task which I think works better. I use two Earnie Ball stereo volume/pan pedals. Each side is connected to one of the amps FX loops. I use one pedal to pan from one amp to the other and the second is for volume. I use a line mixer to split the signal from my guitar to the inputs on both amps.

This way you not only do you have smooth ab with no pops but you can mix the two sounds while you play live.

Of course you don't have to use the mixer or FX loops. You can do the same thing with the two pedals infront of the amps but volume pedals function better imo in the loop. That way your gain doesn't change. If your volume pedal is in front of the amp it willl act the same as the volume pot on your guitar.

Last edited by MattZito at Apr 17, 2007,
i think theres a
or a
somtin like thad
Schecter C1 Classic
Fender Strat
Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier
2x12 cab
crybaby 535q
Yamaha acoustic
zoom fire 36
boss mega distortion
behringer makes an a/b switch for like 20 bucks....my stepson uses one and its not bad