I want to learn how to play by ear, but it's so hard. Any tips?
"In the name of God, impure souls of the living dead shall be banished into eternal damnation. Amen"

Hellsing Organization

well.. u gotta learn what all the note sound like.. but reli it's very hard unless u have perfict pitch witch i'v heard u need to be born with
Quote by musical donkey
cyclobs you are demented..... in a good way
I cant do it but I suppose you could just play every note on the fret board and memorize how it sounds then I imagine you would have some idea how to play by ear...
or just work out what the first note is n use ur music theory to work out the rest
Quote by musical donkey
I learned by picking up my bass guitar and trying to figure out greenday one note at a time.
Although some ppl tell me i have perfect pitch.....
Quote by Tehzekester
1. Find a hot chick's myspace.
2. Get lotion.
3. Look at pr0nz.
4. ???
5. PROFIT!

Quote by Sid McCall
so I said: "those aren't the couch cushions, those are my testicles!"

Add Me
No its not done any of those ways.

I wasnm't born gifted with it, and now I can do this fairly well. I had a very kieen interest in developin this technique.

Rather than memorizinbg the sound, hear simple melodies and memorize that note and seach for it on the guiar. Keep going until you can find it, and once u have rest of the notes are near by.

You also got to play a lot of scales. Atleast all the mar and minor. Practise these and you should be much better. Keep goin at it and after some while you will get it.
Quote by hendo123456789
invincibleneo - you are one of the only people in this thread that talk sense.
Quote by cyclobs
well.. u gotta learn what all the note sound like.. but reli it's very hard unless u have perfict pitch witch i'v heard u need to be born with

I think you can develop it overtime.

Thanks guys.
"In the name of God, impure souls of the living dead shall be banished into eternal damnation. Amen"

Hellsing Organization

Quote by invincibleneo
No its not done any of those ways.

I wasnm't born gifted with it, and now I can do this fairly well. I had a very kieen interest in developin this technique.

Rather than memorizinbg the sound, hear simple melodies and memorize that note and seach for it on the guiar. Keep going until you can find it, and once u have rest of the notes are near by.

You also got to play a lot of scales. Atleast all the mar and minor. Practise these and you should be much better. Keep goin at it and after some while you will get it.

Would knowing your theory help?

Hellsing Organization

it would help, but i dont really know my theory very well and i can still do it
i'm not totally sure.. i'm beginning to think u can too cuz i never used to be able to pick up a song by listening to it n i learnt a nickelback riff without even picking up my guitar.. i just heard it.. saw what it would look like if i was playing it.. then i just picked up my guitar n started playing it to the cd n it sounded excually like the cd (cept i needed to be in Drop C witch i couldn't be stuffed to do...lol)
Quote by musical donkey
I dont think any theory is required for this. Theory is the flipside of ear training.
But knowing theory helps a lot. But u gotta keep a balance between ear trainging and theory.
Quote by hendo123456789
invincibleneo - you are one of the only people in this thread that talk sense.
just keep trying- there's no way better to get good at something than to do it. you'll realize one day that you can actually do it.
Quote by corduroyEW
Cheap amps are "that bad". They suck up your tone like cocaine at Kate Moss' party.

I am Michael!
I don't have perfect pitch, nor have I memorized the sound of every note on the guitar. Instead, after having run scales and patterns over the guitar for several months I began to recognize "the area" on the guitar that the notes on songs I wanted to learn were coming from. From there I have been able to zero in on what I'm hearing and work things out.

Each time I do it, it becomes a bit easier.