I'm starting a heavy metal band and I want a half stack to do the job. Any suggestions???
I have nothing to say
Used 6505 off ebay.
Main rig:
ESP Horizon FR-II
ENGL Invader 150
Mesa Traditional cab w/ v30's
ISP Decimator Pro Rack G
BBE Sonic Maximizer 482i

Back up rig:
ESP Eclipse STBC
LTD EC-1000 VB
Framus Cobra modded
half stack? Maybe a vox AC30 as the head? Not so sure about the cab though

heard some good stuff about it...
Heads up to everyone, new person using this account
I've heard Peavey heads do nicely. just go to your local mucis store and try out every half stack they have, even if its to expensive. Then, if the one you like is out of your budget, then get it off ebay.
AC30 for a metal band? Bad idea.

Go with the Peavey 5150 / 6505 (they're the same amp).
Quote by jonny 2bags
Hitler probably played a cheap Hondo strat through a solid state 10 watt Ross amp and could'nt pull off a simple pentatonic scale to save his Reich.
I very much doubt you'll need a half-stack tube amp unless you are going to playing HUGE venues. Look into some 50W tube combos, you won't be disappointed!
A recent study shows that 8% of teenagers listen to nothing but music with guitars in it. Put this in your sig if you're one of the 92% who isn't a closed-minded moron.
Quote by aliwilson27
I very much doubt you'll need a half-stack tube amp unless you are going to playing HUGE venues. Look into some 50W tube combos, you won't be disappointed!

But a half stack sounds way fuller. Besides a 50w tube combo and a 50w head are the same amount of watts.
ENGL Screamer or Thunder. You may have to get it in from Germany to get a good price though. After that, my second choice would be Laney or Peavey.
"A wise man once said, never discuss philosophy or politics in a disco environment." - Frank Zappa
Quote by Jinskee
Don't question the X.
<Frenchy> I'm such a failure
Quote by thebrewfan
But a half stack sounds way fuller. Besides a 50w tube combo and a 50w head are the same amount of watts.

I think the point is when you're on a tight budget going for a combo opens up a lot more options.
Quote by xifr
ENGL Screamer or Thunder. You may have to get it in from Germany to get a good price though. After that, my second choice would be Laney or Peavey.

Isn't the screamer more than 1000? Anyway, yeah, guess the Vox would be bad
Heads up to everyone, new person using this account
No point in buying a good head if you're going to put a shit cab underneath it either. At least if you get a 50W combo you could always buy a good cab a few months down the line. In this day and age, if you are playing a venue that requires any more than a 50w tube combo it'll have a PA system anyway.
A recent study shows that 8% of teenagers listen to nothing but music with guitars in it. Put this in your sig if you're one of the 92% who isn't a closed-minded moron.
Quote by Kunundrum
Isn't the screamer more than 1000? Anyway, yeah, guess the Vox would be bad

A used one wouldn't be bad.
Sent from my iPad.
Quote by KsE
I'm starting a heavy metal band and I want a half stack to do the job. Any suggestions???

With that you can afford a brand new Laney GH50L

The cab might be an issue though cos the head is about £400..

eBay is probably youre best bet....
Used 6505 off ebay.

Not in the UK sadly...this will do the job nicely though.

http://www.soundslive.co.uk/product~name~Ashdown-Fallen-Angel---Guitar-Stack~ID~5681.asp

Insanely cheap for an amp that good
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
I think tubadude uses an Ashdown cab with his JSX - not sure which model though.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

It depends on if you already have a cab. $1000 is a pretty good budget for a 50 watt head. You could look at some Marshalls (as much as I dont like them). B-52 even has some good hi gain amps. I would suggest though a combo too. You have alot more options in the combo area. Also check some used amps. You could probably find a good Mesa combo in the $1000 price range. My suggestions would be, ultimately, either a B-52 or a used Mesa.
very muchly slightly!

The speakers on the fallen angel combos are good, so i'd expect the cabs to be of the same quality...Ashdown only make the 60 and 180 watt Fallen Angel cabs , they don't have anything equivalent to the MG cabs
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

^Seriously?? on ebay I can find Mesa's for about $600 for smaller combos. I dont know how much shiping would be. But thats wierd. I can even find used B52 50 watt combos for about $500 at GC. But I dont know if yall have GC's over there.
Seriously?? on ebay I can find Mesa's for about $600 for smaller combos. I dont know how much shiping would be. But thats wierd. I can even find used B52 50 watt combos for about $500 at GC. But I dont know if yall have GC's over there.

You may find this disturbing, but this gives you an idea of the going rate for Boogies over here, bearing in mind the almost 1:2 exchange rate....and GAK are pretty cheap.

http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/products.php?s=&k=combo&m=Mesa+Boogie&c=Guitar+Amplifiers&r=Price+Range&x=40&y=4
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

No we don't have GC unfortunately. Us getting good prices on Mesa Boogie's is like you trying to get Laney's or any other European amps. You end up paying way above what you should.
Quote by steven seagull
You may find this disturbing, but this gives you an idea of the going rate for Boogies over here....and GAK are pretty cheap.

http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/products.php?s=&k=combo&m=Mesa+Boogie&c=Guitar+Amplifiers&r=Price+Range&x=40&y=4

Times those prices by two, and you've got the price in dollars. It's shocking.
Jesus Christ. Thats ridiculous. Yall should make American friends who can buy them and ship them to you. Im pretty sure you would save alot of money even with shipping. I just couldnt imagine paying that much for an amp that you can get cheaper.
Jesus Christ. Thats ridiculous. Yall should make American friends who can buy them and ship them to you. Im pretty sure you would save alot of money even with shipping. I just couldnt imagine paying that much for an amp that you can get cheaper.

S'okay, we just buy Marshalls and ENGL's...

We have great cheese, black pudding, badgers and Shakespeare....but expensive Boogies
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

I think getting ENGLs H&Ks and Laneys cheap makes up for it. All the other stuff Steven mentioned also makes up for it. Especially cheese and black pudding
Quote by aliwilson27
I think getting ENGLs H&Ks and Laneys cheap makes up for it. All the other stuff Steven mentioned also makes up for it. Especially cheese and black pudding

pfffffft, i think only ENGLs kick mesa, others fall by the wayside

marshall have just really lost it now, JVM and Vintage Modern will be the end of them
ENGL ftw. Check out the screamer or the powerball.
Co-Founder of the Orange Revolution Club

-Esp/Ltd Ec-1000 w/ BKP Mules
-2-channel Titan
-Oversized Bogner 2x12 Cabinet
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-T.C. Electronic Nova Delay
-Larrivee D-03R
A used ENGL
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30
new:

laney gh50l and framus 2x12

ashdown fallen angel

randall rg50tc (or the head version and framus 2x12)

used: engl, probably.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
^ +1 on the windsor if by metal he means 80's metal.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?