This is not a thread about whether Solid state or tube amplification sounds better. This is not a thread about whether a Valve combo has better tone than a SS stack. This we're also aware of.

We're looking at maybe getting a cheap halfstack for gigs, mainly to play hard rock, metal and punk, although it'll probably be used for all kinds of crap. The main consideration is not studio sound quality (we can borrow good tube amps for recording) but having a powerful amp driving at least 4 speakers. It's gotta be loud and affordable.

Tested out a couple of heads and cabinets today. Marshall's MG100 is awful. Sounds like our MG15, only somehow they managed to make it sound even worse on the OD channel. The Fender FM100 halfstack actually doesn't sound half bad. Workable I thought.

The amps on my test list so far are:

Fender FM100 - I actually like this amp, I would buy it and keep it in my house, and play blues on it. Whether I can coax a hard rock tone out of it remains to be seen. It sounds nowhere near as good as a Hotrod Deville, but I can't afford one of those.

Marshall MG100 (run clean with a lot of pedals - might work - rather not)

Behringer Vampire (it's just till we can afford a JCM2000, and at behringers price we could have a full stack - but still yuk)

I'm also looking to check out:

Crate GT1200H
Ibanez TBX150H (haven't found one yet, but should be nice and loud)
Line 6 Spider (various low end models - I can't believe I'm seriously considering this)
Randall RH150G3 (haven't priced for Australia yet)
Peavy might be within our budget on the second hand market, but Australian prices look a little high.

If anyone can suggest other head and quadbox combinations that can make a lot of noise (doesn't have do be a pleasant noise, just lots of it) on a budget, that'd be great.

Once again I don't need to be told how much better a tube combo would sound. This is a comparison betwen cheap heads.

*waits for the inevitable flaming*
Quote by The devil at the crossroads
E|-------------------------------------------1--
B|-----------------------------------1--4--
G|-------------------------1-3-4--
D|------------------1-3----
A|--------1-2-3----
E|-1-4-----

Just move it around the fretboard
If you want louder amps, tube amps would do the job. A 15 watt tube can get louder than a 100 watt SS amp. Not only that, but it would give you the better sound. If you still don't want one, try out the Randall.
Sent from my iPad.
Yeah I'll certainly be checking out the Ashton. I didn't expect to find a valve head that cheap.
A|--------1-2-3----
E|-1-4-----

Quote by Cosimo_Zaretti
Yeah I'll certainly be checking out the Ashton. I didn't expect to find a valve head that cheap.

lol just don't expect Mesa tones that cheap! But they're as good as any mass produced Chinese built amp.
Quote by treagar
lol just don't expect Mesa tones that cheap! But they're as good as any mass produced Chinese built amp.

I'm expecting the boys to rehearse with these amps, play a few gigs on them, hire JCM stacks for bigger shows and trade them in for something better as soon as possible. Just gotta be able to drive a quadbox or two in the meantime.
A|--------1-2-3----
E|-1-4-----

Quote by paintITblack39
A 15 watt tube can get louder than a 100 watt SS amp.

^I dont know what your smoking but I've never heard a 15 watt tube get louder then a 100 watt SS amp. They do get loud, but not that loud.

Since your not looking from a tone perspective though, Line 6 Spiders arent that bad. They have lots of effects and are cheap. You could also get a Line 6 floorboard to help the Spider a bit. After going tube though, it wouldnt be my first choice.

Randalls have some good things being said about them for what they are.

But there have been some ss vs. tube threads before, but they failed miserably .

But I would still suggest you looking at some tube amps and combos especially. You can get loud and good tones with tubes. But it all depends on what your looking for. I didnt really read your whole first post because it was too long for me to be interested in, so.
www.randallamplifiers.com

go to the bottom of the screen and click on either the T2 or V2 both are great. It sounds just like a tube amp (probably WAY out of your price range though)
METALLICA
MACHINE HEAD

JANUARY 13TH

JOE LOUIS ARENA

Quote by Jehuty
It's not rape if you yell surprise.

Quote by ZanasCross
Girls his dad's age rarely still have nice asses. Gravity attacks.
Isn't the G3 the one with the single tube for the Preamp half? We could almost afford one of those.
A|--------1-2-3----
E|-1-4-----

Dude go out and get a Carvin SX300 Head and matching cab, believe me, it's better than anything you've listed...and I'm a Spider II owner.
I'm having trouble finding an Australian source or price for the Carvin, but I'll keep digging. Hopefully a trip to a few guitar stores in the morning will help there. I'm sure I've seen them on shelf at Billy Hydes before.

Here's the current list of heads to be considered.

Ashton GA100 (TUBE AMP) $449.00 From Music workshop at West Ryde

Behringer V-Amp (licensed from Fisher Price) Halfstack $739 from Venue

Crate GT1200HU 120W head $539 from Billy Hyde

Crate Halfstack $999 from Kosmic Online (WA)

Fender FM100 Head + 4X12 $999 from Venue. I want one.

Kustom 100W head + Cabinet $1,199 from Guitar world

Marshall MG 100 head + Cabinet $1,095 from Venue Music

Hughes and Kettner MX100H $761 from Guitar World

Ibanez TB100H head $549 from Guitar world

Line 6 Spider 2 HD 75 - $449 from Billy Hyde

Randall RH150 (Tube preamp) $849 from Guitar world or Venue

Randall RH120D & 200W Cabinet $999 from Guitar world
(unfortunately only one left, so no time for saving)
A|--------1-2-3----
E|-1-4-----

Lol, just curious; do "we" have multiple personalities, or are you making the purchase with someone else?
Quote by De Amazing Blob
Lol, just curious; do "we" have multiple personalities, or are you making the purchase with someone else?

I manage the most disorganised bunch of musicians the world has ever seen, hence my avatar.
A|--------1-2-3----
E|-1-4-----

Quote by Cosimo_Zaretti
I manage the most disorganised bunch of musicians the world has ever seen, hence my avatar.

You manage Slipknot?

<_<

>_>

Anyways I have heard alot of good things about the Carvin SX series. My friend has the Crate half stack you have on the list. It can get pretty loud. It sounds pretty good too.
Gear:
Schecter C-1 BlackJack
Peavey 5150 II
Ibanez 25W "Tone Blaster"
Fender Starcaster (Not the vintage kind, the Wal-Mart Value kit kind"

If Dimebag22 was a pie, I would cover him with whipped cream and eat his insides...
Quote by KaMiKaZi90
You manage Slipknot?

<_<

>_>

Anyways I have heard alot of good things about the Carvin SX series. My friend has the Crate half stack you have on the list. It can get pretty loud. It sounds pretty good too.

Slipknot have a drummer that turns up to rehearsals. We have at various times recruited 6, all of whom are technically in the band if they can ever make time in their busy schedules.

We just recruited drummer number 7, hopefully a bit more reliable.
A|--------1-2-3----
E|-1-4-----

i got a fm100 212R combo., i like it and with a jekyll and hyde pedal you can get quite a lot of distortion from it. good for practice as well as small gigs i guess. the pots suck though, not accurate. like 1 is loud 2 is deafness, and after that it's all the same volume. you won't need more that 2 though.
Wise Man Says: The guitar is obviously female, she's got hips, breasts... and a hole.
UG's Flamenco Club
Quote by paintITblack39
If you want louder amps, tube amps would do the job. A 15 watt tube can get louder than a 100 watt SS amp. Not only that, but it would give you the better sound. If you still don't want one, try out the Randall.

I know tube amps are louder than SS gear, but not that much louder. And can I run 4-8 speakers off a 15W valve signal?

I love tube combos. They're great value for money, and they sound wonderful for small gigs or in the studio. However in a noisy stage setup, 8 speakers are better than one or two otherwise just cannot push enough air to fill a venue.

Try bringing your 15W combo to a gig where you have another guitarist and a base player - each with stacks - a miked drumkit and noisy vocals. You'll have to rely more on the PA than the other players, and then you'll spend the entire set trying to hear your guitar through the foldback cos your amp is competing with 16 other speakers on stage and you can't actually hear what you're playing. Ideally only the vocalist should be relying on the foldback speakers, and it's nice to have plenty of sound on stage in addition to the PA.

Like I said, cheap and loud. If the gig actually pays decent money I'll hire a JCM800 stack for the night, but for crap opening sets where the boys are just playing for free beer, a Behringer stack will do fine. Earplugs anyone?
A|--------1-2-3----
E|-1-4-----

Quote by AngelOfSorrow
www.randallamplifiers.com

go to the bottom of the screen and click on either the T2 or V2 both are great. It sounds just like a tube amp (probably WAY out of your price range though)

dude the V2 and T2 are tube. if you want a brand new solid state randall go for either something from the G3 series or get the RX120D half stack, G3 series is hybrid, and the RX120D is solid state, but sounds great
Geets:
Dean ML79 w/ OFR
Dean Razorback V
Washburn 2ST Stealth

Amps
Bugera 6260 212
Line 6 Toneport GX

Pedals/effects
Boss MT-2
ISP Decimator
Quote by SG thrasher
Yeah the ashtons are pretty good, i tried a solid state one and it had great distortion.

I thought I was going crazy when I thought the same thing.

In general I hate all Ashton products, but the dist. on one of their heads gave me a boner for a while.
Quote by serbusfish
dude the V2 and T2 are tube.

NO
Quote by Spl!nTeRgu!tAr
im getting the C-1 Hellraiser Baritone and replacing the EMG 81 with my Zakk Wylde EMG 81

****in great dude
Crate Powerblock! They are great if you're running some good effects in front of them (I got mine for $320, which leaves a lot in your budget for a modeller or something). 150w into 8 ohm (or is it 4? I can't remember). If this is just for a gig or two, I think this would be a good possibility
"Everybody, one day will die and be forgotten. Act and behave in a way that will make life interesting and fun. Find a passion, form relationships, don't be afraid to get out there and fuck what everyone else thinks."
What about the Laney LX120H?
I was thinking about getting one of these myself.
Any good?
Main Gear:
Ibanez RG550EX
Ibanez S470
Epiphone SG CS Ltd Ed 1966 Reissue
Cort M200/WS
Richwood RS17CCE acoustic
Hayden Mofo
Harley Benton 2x12 Celestion V30

My Band - Haemasmtha
I would have to say go with the Randall RG150G3

Everything else is just terrible.
Member of UG Gain whores.
PM Gpderek09 to join!
I just got offered a 200W Randle Hybrid halfstack (G2 something or other) for the price of an MG. It' rediculously cheap for what it is, and it inflicts major hearing damage. I asked the guys at the store to see if they could find me something cheap and loud, and they delivered.

It's not a particularly pleasant sound, but it's perfectly gig-worthy. I'd previously been testing a nother tube/SS hybrid in a Mode 4 and I think that hides the SS sound better, but at almost the price of a DSL100 head. The Randall will give us cheap power, I aint turning down 200W and a quad for $1000AU

Just gotta find the thousand in a hurry now.
A|--------1-2-3----
E|-1-4-----

Quote by Cosimo_Zaretti
I know tube amps are louder than SS gear, but not that much louder. And can I run 4-8 speakers off a 15W valve signal?

What a stupid question. Of course you can. All you have to do is make sure the impedance matches. If you've got an amp with an 8 Ohm output and a full marshall stack, then plug 'em in and enjoy.

Ron