Alright me and probably the 4 or 5 guitarist's in the school I go to, decieded it would be cool to jam and seemed to be a good idea until we started playing, but i just seemed so out of place with the other players because they do alot of 2 hand tapping techniques and such, or just tapping on general, Mainly music like Avenged Sevenfold or Steve Vai or Modern Rock, things like that just dont spark my musical interest, because i typicaly play things like Muddy Waters and Slide Stuff Like ZZTop and Robert Johnson, but the main point i trying to get is, does anyone else have similar problems such as you play alot of Vai music but you are surrounded by Country Guitarists, or you play Country But Are Surounded By Metal Heads ect.

to the pit!!
My style of playing is also somewhat old fashioned, but I don't care, it's what I want and it ain't a problem.
In my school all the metal heads are complete duffers and they can't play an instrument
POST FINDER
There are about 2-5 "professional" guitarists in my school,and of them use effects and clasic methods(scales and bends).

Well,me aswell,only I dont have effects.
whats the problem, bring your slide in and start to jam, steve vai goes on tour with eric sardinas who is a slide player and they work it out, mix the styles.
Dude your musical interests are better.
top axes:
Taylor GS8
Fender American Strat (w/DiMarzio pickups)
Epiphone Les Paul
have you ever seen the movie Crossroads (198...4? i think?) anyway, the kid playing robert johnson has this guitar duel with satan's guitarist, who just happens to be played by steve vai. and RJ wins. go blues.

yea i have the same problem. i'm a blues-rock kinda guy, but my guitar class is either metalheads (who can play, they dont suck, but thats all they play), classical guys (cause our guitar ensembles play classical stuff), or guys who somehow got into guitar 2 with out knowing what an E chord is. but i have one of the greatest teachers. he got john jorgenson to play in our auditorium this wednesday night. awesome.
This is my signature. There are many like it but this one is MINE.
Muddy Waters kicks ass.

My "jam style" is more bluesy than metal (despite me being a classical freak and metalhead), I find it a little hard to improvise shredding - probably because I don't exactly practice any licks, I just play whatever comes to my hands. I throw in some tapping too though, but I don't ***** it. Tapping is generally very easy to make on the spot when you're jamming.
Quote by sixstringsteve
have you ever seen the movie Crossroads (198...4? i think?) anyway, the kid playing robert johnson has this guitar duel with satan's guitarist, who just happens to be played by steve vai. and RJ wins. go blues.

Too bad he beat him by playing a classical piece borrowed heavily from Niccolo Paganini.
Quote by Ferdinandstrat
There are about 2-5 "professional" guitarists in my school,and of them use effects and clasic methods(scales and bends).

Well,me aswell,only I dont have effects.

What do u eman by professional
Its kinda like that for me. I mainly play acoustic stuff. It used to be real simple stuff. Alot of my friends play hardcore, and I like hardcore so I learnt some of that. But now I'm starting to write techincal acoustic stuff, some with hardcore infulence, and its sounding good.

so my advice is to try and mesh your two genres together with your friends.
Quote by Archaon

Too bad he beat him by playing a classical piece borrowed heavily from Niccolo Paganini.

oh really? i didn't even catch that. now i have to go get that movie again and watch it.

btw, that wasn't sarcasm. i totally did not know.

i guess we know who's not getting into the guitar ensemble next year haha. yup, that'd be moi.
This is my signature. There are many like it but this one is MINE.
Last edited by sixstringsteve at Feb 3, 2007,
Quote by sixstringsteve
oh really? i didn't even catch that. now i have to go get that movie again and watch it.

btw, that wasn't sarcasm. i totally did not know.

i guess we know who's not getting into the guitar ensemble next year haha. yup, that'd be moi.

haha, cheers. I actually never got to watch the whole movie, just that famous clip.
I tried downloading the movie once, but when it was finished it turned out to be that stupid ****ing Britney Spears movie.
Quote by High_Frequency
Alright me and probably the 4 or 5 guitarist's in the school I go to, decieded it would be cool to jam and seemed to be a good idea until we started playing, but i just seemed so out of place with the other players because they do alot of 2 hand tapping techniques and such, or just tapping on general, Mainly music like Avenged Sevenfold or Steve Vai or Modern Rock, things like that just dont spark my musical interest, because i typicaly play things like Muddy Waters and Slide Stuff Like ZZTop and Robert Johnson, but the main point i trying to get is, does anyone else have similar problems such as you play alot of Vai music but you are surrounded by Country Guitarists, or you play Country But Are Surounded By Metal Heads ect.

to the pit!!

If I ever met you, I'd hug you. If that made you feel uncomfortable, I'd shake your ****ing hand, because YOU sir, are a REAL man. I salute you, and totally respect you for your choices in life.

ZZ Top>two handed tapping. Slide is the coolest technique. It owns tapping. You are into great music. I love Yngwie, and other guys who are less neo-classical and more shred oriented, but nothing moves me like the blues. You have nothing to be ashamed of. You have great taste in music. John Frusciante plays funk, blues and other weird black people music, and it sounds great! He's also extremely famous for it. Nothing is wrong with your choices. Don't be discourage, people like myself are in the same boat as you, and I'd be damned impressed if I met you at Guitar Center. Not that I am not impressed by the tappers, I just find slide and blues more stylish, and intelligent. Don't let it get you down, man. You're carrying the weight of a great musical style. Keep kicking ass.
When i go to these little "jam lessons" i find my self surrounded by AC/DC fans that just play the regural pentatonic licks.
No chance to shred out in a japaneese scale
Quote by spittle8
If I ever met you, I'd hug you. If that made you feel uncomfortable, I'd shake your ****ing hand, because YOU sir, are a REAL man. I salute you, and totally respect you for your choices in life.

ZZ Top>two handed tapping. Slide is the coolest technique. It owns tapping. You are into great music. I love Yngwie, and other guys who are less neo-classical and more shred oriented, but nothing moves me like the blues. You have nothing to be ashamed of. You have great taste in music. John Frusciante plays funk, blues and other weird black people music, and it sounds great! He's also extremely famous for it. Nothing is wrong with your choices. Don't be discourage, people like myself are in the same boat as you, and I'd be damned impressed if I met you at Guitar Center. Not that I am not impressed by the tappers, I just find slide and blues more stylish, and intelligent. Don't let it get you down, man. You're carrying the weight of a great musical style. Keep kicking ass.

Thanks alot for enthusiasm but i dont think that any musical stlye is better than another, and i'm not discouraged or anything just feel like milk out of the refridgerater ya know.
i dnno
when i jam with people
we all play different stuff, like we'll all be playing blues but than we switch to metalcore
or soemthing
but my best friend and guitarist in my band, hes good, (hes more perfected than i), but i dont like jamming with him b/c the stuff he makes up sounds like crap and he doesnt know many songs
I jam freestyle; ranging from blues to finger-blistering shred.

Go with whatever you're comfortable with; otherwise, you'll have that little itch, within you, because you didn't go with what you really wanted to do!
You simply MUST check out my music on
Reverbnation Downloads available here
Myspace Streaming Only

Especially for fans of Tool, APC, Avant-Garde, Ambient music, rock instrumentals, and fans of music in general. Will not disappoint.
The problem I have is that everyone in my school has a guitar, doesnt know how to play said guitar, and goes around like they are big and ****ing awesome. Be thankful you only have 4 or 5 guitarists in your school, I have like 70, 6-7 of which are good, the rest are shitty.
Green Tinted Sixties Mind
Quote by sixstringsteve

What? Ry Cooder and Steve Vai beat Steve Vai in the movie.
I'm in the same exact boat as you. All the people in the club I'm in play metal and shred and stuff, and I'm the only one that like blues and stuff. Its not that theyre bad (theyre very good), but it just starts to get mindless after a while
Quote by Sir-Shoelace
manliest string guage? barbed wire.

Quote by beau05
I'd say country or bluegrass would be pretty difficult, for being inbred is a pre-requisite
At my school there's only two other kids who can 'play' the guitar in my muisc class. By play I mean can actually pick and strum stuff half decent.

I play mainly acoustic type stuff - or bluesy solos and such and one of the other two is in my band and we're both into experimental/art rock/post rock/indie and such so we get along in terms of musical ideas and such.

However the toehr kid plays tapping and distorted stuff and everything. He doesn't know any theory and can't play any full songs and such. It's disappointing really - he's been playing about three years and I've only been play a bit over a year...

So I can't jam with him - especially because he can't keep time at all xD