Right, today I came back to uni, and decided to have a wander... into the nearest instrument shop, checking out the 6 string basses, having a mess around. The owner hears me play, and says "see if you can get around this 12 string". It was a Dean Rhapsody 12 string, and it was absolutely gorgeous, and only £300 (~600USD). However, the original owner has filed a new nut in such a way that the octaved strings sat ABOVE the bass strings, instead of below (as you look at the bass when playing). Had never seen a 12 string strung like that before. Well, I'd never seen a 12 string before to be fair, but I know how they're traditionally strung. I played it for a while, knocked out a bit o' Pearl Jam and improvised for a bit. All I can say is I absolutely loved it, very much an Eastern music tone to it. The owner thought that the style of stringing might be awkward, but it really wasn't at all.

So, any other 12 string lovers, or people who wouldn't playing one in this here forum?
I guess I would have a bit of a mess around on one, but I'd certainly never buy one. I don't understand enough music theory or music anything really to venture beyond five strings. Which I still haven't got around to doing yet.
The will to neither strive nor cry,
The power to feel with others give.
Calm, calm me more; nor let me die
Before I have begun to live.

-Matthew Arnold

Arguments are to be avoided; they are always vulgar and often convincing.
sounds fancy. now i want to go find one to try out...
Dinobot clone of the Predacons Beast Wars Club
PM NightmareXT To Join!

Member #6 of the Geddy Lee fan club - pm RIC4003 to join.
UG spartan number 180
Quote by frankv
when i'll start playing bass i might buy a 12 string fretless one. ever since i noticed the fretlessness of pearl jam's ten album i've been intruiged by it.

a la Jeremy.... I know that Jeff Ament uses a 12 on I Am Mine... what else does he use them on?
Never played a 12 string but they sound very cool. The nut could probably be fixed.

My only concern would be how much use I would get out one if I owned a 12 string vs. the cash outlay.
Quote by anarkee
Never played a 12 string but they sound very cool. The nut could probably be fixed.

My only concern would be how much use I would get out one if I owned a 12 string vs. the cash outlay.

I wouldn't fix the nut, it was perfectly fine, but was just filed to take the strings in a different order
^if the nut was filed in workmanship way, then it shouldn't be a problem. If you end up acquiring it, make sure you post some pics, I am quite intrigued.
I saw Cheap Trick perform live a couple years ago, and the bass played used the 12-string bass exclusively (in fact, he invented the 12-string bass). If you want to hear more 12-string goodness, check out any live Cheap Trick stuff.

Also, keep in mind that 12-string bass strings are very very expensive.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Quote by thefitz
I saw Cheap Trick perform live a couple years ago, and the bass played used the 12-string bass exclusively (in fact, he invented the 12-string bass). If you want to hear more 12-string goodness, check out any live Cheap Trick stuff.

Also, keep in mind that 12-string bass strings are very very expensive.

and they are a pain in the ass to intonate if you dont know how to
Gear: 08 Fender MIA Jazz bass,
American Peavey Millenium Plus 4,
GK 1001RBII,
Mesa/Boogie RR215,
Schecter C-1 Classic.
I've always wanted a 12 string, and I've always wanted to tune the strings like a power chord (i.e. Low Octave E, High B, High Octave E) and see how they sound. However, I just bought an 8 string, so I'll try tuning it like a power chord without the higher octave note.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
12'ers are usually eeEaaAddDggG, not EeeAaaDddGgg.

And they're pretty cool, but for me a 8 would be better, just for more ease in working around the neck (I don't like strings being that close together)
haha
Quote by FbSa
The 8-string I'm building is going to be strung eE,aA,dD,gG. So it'll be the same as that one, with the octave string closest to you right?

yeah, but traditonally, the octave string is furthest from you... however, I had no problem with it being closer
Quote by Deliriumbassist
yeah, but traditonally, the octave string is furthest from you... however, I had no problem with it being closer

Traditionally since when? Every octaved instrument I've laid hands on had the octaved strings closer to you.
haha
Sounds like we just intered the twilight zone. [cue spooky music, dim lights and action!] But I finnally took a picture of my Purpleheart, and my plans are on the way, I'm going to develop the film today (hopefully) and post it up as soon as possible. though that is kind of pumping my other thread....

The one 8-string I have played was laid out so the it was tuned Ee,Aa,dD,gG. Now that was spooky, and felt weird to play. Made by LTD, but I bet they did a few personal custom adjustments on it.
Quote by FbSa
Sounds like we just intered the twilight zone. [cue spooky music, dim lights and action!] But I finnally took a picture of my Purpleheart, and my plans are on the way, I'm going to develop the film today (hopefully) and post it up as soon as possible. though that is kind of pumping my other thread....

The one 8-string I have played was laid out so the it was tuned Ee,Aa,dD,gG. Now that was spooky, and felt weird to play. Made by LTD, but I bet they did a few personal custom adjustments on it.

WTF, every B-208 by LTD I've seen (Online or real life) was eEaAdDgG.

It makes more sense to hit the octave note before the real string, cuz when you play w/ a pick you can't hit something big and then hit something smaller.
haha
If you play bass with a pick, you hate the baby Jesus.-Parker_Muse. I don't entirely agree with that, but I don't like the sound picks make on bass, but hey, everyone's entitled to their ideas. Save for 3rd world countries. The pics are up on my 8-string bass page. Here be the link https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?p=8149704&posted=1#post8149704 and I'll try to get pics up on every step, but it took me half and hour to get that one up here.
Quote by Deliriumbassist
the original owner has filed a new nut in such a way that the octaved strings sat ABOVE the bass strings, instead of below (as you look at the bass when playing). Had never seen a 12 string strung like that before.

What, like this?

Because that's how they come from the factory. I had a look at one of these in a shop the other day. I'm not interested in more than 5 strings though.
yea, the octave string is always above, unless you make it differently. but
http://www.guitar-mod.com/images/14andromeda/senny_long_600.jpg
octaves are above
http://www.12stringbass.net/
same, the guy at the bottom is left handed, which may look like the octaves are below.

but ive never seen a bass with the octaves below.
Recognised by the Official Who To Listen To List 2012

Quote by steven seagull
You don't argue with tubadude on Washburn-related matters, he flosses with the G string from a set of 0.12's y'know....and it's WOUND!